Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass or Aluminum backstrap PPQ CO?

Peterock

Recently noticed the Taylor Freelance PPQ brass or AL backstrap and was curious if both versions would be considered “weighted grips” 

brass adds 2.1 oz

aluminum adds .5 oz 

My Q5 would be under weight with either (roughly 31 ozs with brass)

12 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

8.2.1.2 SSP Permitted Modifications (Inclusive list):

2. Grips may be changed to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration and do not weigh more

than 2.00 oz. more than the factory standard weight for that model.

I wonder if anyone has ever been asked during equipment check to remove their grips for weighing. Just curious...

1 hour ago, ddc said:

nder if anyone has ever been asked during equipment check to remove their grips for weighing. Just curious

If the equipment person is familiar with what a stock version of that gun should weigh, then don't be surprised if you get a question. Of if they weighed a stock version earlier in the match and yours comes by weighing 3oz more..... All depends on the competency of the equipment check person.

41 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

If the equipment person is familiar with what a stock version of that gun should weigh, then don't be surprised if you get a question. Of if they weighed a stock version earlier in the match and yours comes by weighing 3oz more..... All depends on the competency of the equipment check person.

Rowdy, have you seen these brass grip modules pass at matches with equipment checks?

this piece is what concerns me about the brass backstrap:

B. Add-on weights. This includes (but is not limited to) weighted magazines, tungsten guide rods, brass magazine
wells, weighted grips, and weighted grip plugs.

1. Grips may be changed to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration and do not weigh more

than 2.00 oz. more than the factory standard weight for that model.

I tend to read that as 8.1.8 setting the ground rules and then 8.2.2.2 clarifying/amending for a division. In other words, weighted grips are disallowed, but anything less than 2oz over stock isn't considered "weighted".

I think the bigger question is: "Is a backstrap considered grips?"

6 hours ago, matteekay said:

I tend to read that as 8.1.8 setting the ground rules and then 8.2.2.2 clarifying/amending for a division. In other words, weighted grips are disallowed, but anything less than 2oz over stock isn't considered "weighted".

I think the bigger question is: "Is a backstrap considered grips?"

That’s how I read it as well, the brass backstrap I’m looking at is 2.1 oz so I planned to drill out .15 oz to be safe.