Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would you buy an MOS or non-MOS Glock and get it milled?

Cuz

27 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I have over twice that many rounds on my P-10F OR, still going strong.

Your failure reinforces my opinion of MOS as not good to go.

Lol, I have one Gen4 G17 MOS with a Holosun sight that has never failed me.  Probably because I never shoot it.  That's one way to make them last forever.

16 hours ago, Cuz said:

Argh!  Sheared the plate of my slide today.  Probably only has around 6-7k rounds through it.

I think if I could find a Gen5 slide milled for RMR in stock I'd buy it.

At least my backup is a Gen3 with Brownells milled slide.  The dot isn't going anywhere on that one...

MOS_Plate_Sheared_off.thumb.jpg.4c1a24b03d20f0746749719200d9a32e.jpg

Correct screws, torqued down correctly?  Not a flame, just asking.  I have as many through my 34.4 with no issues, I've had more with another mfg plate on my backup gun than I have had with the MOS.

4 hours ago, vluc said:

Correct screws, torqued down correctly?  Not a flame, just asking.  I have as many through my 34.4 with no issues, I've had more with another mfg plate on my backup gun than I have had with the MOS.

Yes, went over that in detail with Glock support. The tech said I could consider getting better quality screws then the ones provided by Glock. He said they were rated at around 100,000 psi tensile strength and should be fine under most circumstances, but he said McMaster sold some that were rated at 140,000 psi. I tried to look them up, I wasn’t sure I found the right ones, and did want to pay $7 each for them. 
then, I found them for $2 at Big Tex Ordnance. I never heard of them before, but took a chance since it was just a few bucks. 

I'd get the MOS with the Forward Controls Design Plate. The plate doesn't create gaps between it and the slide cut like the factory plate does so shear is minimized. Hardened screws from McMaster or Fastenal. The proper torque is a must for the plate to slide screws (as well as the optic to plate screws). 

17 hours ago, hermes_actual said:

I'd get the MOS with the Forward Controls Design Plate. The plate doesn't create gaps between it and the slide cut like the factory plate does so shear is minimized. Hardened screws from McMaster or Fastenal. The proper torque is a must for the plate to slide screws (as well as the optic to plate screws). 

Now FCD needs to make a plate for Holosun sights...

4 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

The Holosun 407C, 507C, and 508T reflex sights have a Trijicon footprint and will fit any plate meant for the RMR or SRO.

True, but FCD goes out of their way to say they don’t guarantee their plate will work with a Holosun sight. 

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

True, but FCD goes out of their way to say they don’t guarantee their plate will work with a Holosun sight. 

I have no idea why they say that.  I've never had one of their products.

What I can tell you is that I have a CZ P-09 and P-07 and Glocks 17 and 19 all milled for Trijicon RDS and my Holosun 507 fits just fine.  It also fits just fine on both the CZ and CHPWS Trijicon optic plates for my CZ P-10s.

25 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I have no idea why they say that.  I've never had one of their products.

What I can tell you is that I have a CZ P-09 and P-07 and Glocks 17 and 19 all milled for Trijicon RDS and my Holosun 507 fits just fine.  It also fits just fine on both the CZ and CHPWS Trijicon optic plates for my CZ P-10s.

I totally understand. I had a 507c on my Brownells slide that was milled for RMR before I got an SRO and it fit fine. 

I don’t know why they say it, but they do. I can tell you that when the plate comes in I will try mounting my 507c on it just to check before putting the SRO on it. I’m curious, and think it may have something to do with the length of the mounting screws. But that’s just a guess. 

I reached out to FCD, they let me know that they only do plates for American made optics (Trijicon and DPP).  I have to say, and I did said to them, that I admire them for that.   They did pass on that Holosun may be making their own plates.

Wonder why nobody has used an Epoxy on the mounting plate along with screws ?

they make Epoxy remover if needed.

Attack dissolves cured epoxy and polyester resins. It is used to separate bonded but misaligned materials as well as the clean up of cured resin from metal, stone, glass, wood, and similar materials. Use this anytime you are getting a stone off a dop that was attached with a glue. 

-This is an 8oz resealable can

image.thumb.jpeg.a4f954300a8aeb912f797b11ca76d176.jpeg

Edited by GmanCdp
Add explanation

On 11/14/2021 at 11:22 AM, vluc said:

I reached out to FCD, they let me know that they only do plates for American made optics (Trijicon and DPP).  I have to say, and I did said to them, that I admire them for that.   They did pass on that Holosun may be making their own plates.

It doesn't matter what they said.  Certain Holosun pistol RDS sights fit any plate made for the RMR (FCD included) because those Holosun models have the same base design as the RMR.

15 hours ago, GmanCdp said:

Wonder why nobody has used an Epoxy on the mounting plate along with screws ?

they make Epoxy remover if needed.

Attack dissolves cured epoxy and polyester resins. It is used to separate bonded but misaligned materials as well as the clean up of cured resin from metal, stone, glass, wood, and similar materials. Use this anytime you are getting a stone off a dop that was attached with a glue. 

-This is an 8oz resealable can

image.thumb.jpeg.a4f954300a8aeb912f797b11ca76d176.jpeg

I had a similar thought yesterday, and it was to bed the optic to the plate to make up any gaps just like you bed a picatinny base to the top of a rifle receiver.

One had to be very careful to not bed around any reverse tapered surfaces of the sight or it will be mechanically locked in place permanently.

On 11/16/2021 at 11:24 AM, SGT_Schultz said:

It doesn't matter what they said.  Certain Holosun pistol RDS sights fit any plate made for the RMR (FCD included) because those Holosun models have the same base design as the RMR.

The footprint may be the same but certain plates are made to tighter dimensions.  Don't be shocked if your Holosun won't work on a FCD plate that is made to tighter tolerances than a Holosun... 

3 hours ago, matt7184 said:

The footprint may be the same but certain plates are made to tighter dimensions.  Don't be shocked if your Holosun won't work on a FCD plate that is made to tighter tolerances than a Holosun... 

That's not how it necessarily works.  

Tolerances are meaningless unless the basic dimensions are correct.  

All I'll say about this topic (design and mfg of mating parts) is that it's one in which I have professional expertise and I can spot BS a mile away.

On 11/18/2021 at 8:10 AM, SGT_Schultz said:

That's not how it necessarily works.  

Tolerances are meaningless unless the basic dimensions are correct.  

All I'll say about this topic (design and mfg of mating parts) is that it's one in which I have professional expertise and I can spot BS a mile away.

Except it does work that way (Holosun does not hold as tight tolerances as Trijicon in manufacturing).  I have personal experience with all of the items discussed.  Most Holosun RDS with "RMR Footprint" will not work on the FCD plate.  This has been well discussed on other forums as well and by the manufacturer.  

2 hours ago, matt7184 said:

Holosun does not hold as tight tolerances as Trijicon in manufacturing

The only way you would know that is if you had Trijicon's engineering drawings and the right tools to measure linear and geometric dimensions and compare then to the print.

Unless you work for Trijicon I'm gonna bet you don't.

Fact of the matter is you are giving out bad information.  The manufacturer of the plates has these dimensions and has tested this thoroughly.  I have tested this.  You have not apparently.  

FCD MOS plates are for Trijicon RMR footprints only (excluding Holosun) for a reason.  When you get a Holosun and test it with a FCD MOS plate please let us know.