Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt Pattern Mags in CMMG RDB System

Hi gang, 

I've got all the various parts and pieces together for a 16" CMMG RDB PCC. I'm using CMMG's Colt-pattern lower along with their RDB upper, barrel, and bolt. I just need my gunsmith's availability to open back up to get this thing stitched together.

I've been working on getting to a good mag situation, and have 3 each of the C Products Defense Duramags, the Brownell's mags, and the Metalforms. The Brownell's and Metalforms appear to differ only in finish, while the Duramags have a polymer follower and different geometry on the feed lips. I'll turn over the mags with the gun parts to the smith, and get his opinion on which feed best, but what are the experiences in the forum?

I've also seen the "low friction" follower/spring set at Taylor Freelance, along with their +10 extensions. While TF advertises the parts to work across Colt pattern mags, is there a design that stands out for these parts as being better or worse?

Thanks! 

I've used only Metalform mags(same thing that Brownells sells) in my AR and haven't really had a problem in the past six years(with the exception of a FTF with one of my Hahn mag adapter, which has been corrected now).  I did try a couple of the Taylor Freelance follower and springs in my 32 round Metalform mags that had been converted to a +10 extension that I purchased from Taylor Freelance a number of years ago.  They worked great!  No problems with them at all.  Wouldn't hesitate to use them...although if you use them in the regular 32 round mags you will lose a few rounds overall as they will not accept all 32 rounds with the newer spring in them.  I just use them on the extended mags and can get 41 rounds in them.  I have been avoiding the C products after reading about problems with them.  I picked up 25 32 round magazines back when there were deals on them thru Palmetto Armory(I think the price was somewhere around $12-$13 at that time).  The Metal form mags are heavy walled and the followers are metal and slip thru the magazines with no binds and plenty of room to move around so I don't expect any problems there either.  Shooting partner of mine also uses the Metalform mags with no problems.  

Thank you for the discussion!

I want to be sure that reliability is sorted out with standard 32 rounders before trying the extensions. The Duramags came off of CMMG’a website, so my initial (and probably incorrect) supposition was that those were the mags used in developing the Colt-mag RDB solution.

The Metalforms appear to be generally well thought-of, particularly compared to the Duramags.