Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther PDP CO Setup

d3ydx3

Been shooting Open for most of this year and got the bug recently to jump into CO since I've got a lot of components sitting around for 9 Minor and I suck at irons. Picked up a PDP FS 4.5" today after doing some research. Seems that I can go with the 140mm Taylor Freelance basepads assuming I can find some Walther FS mags. If not, I've heard the Canik mags work fine. Anyone know how many rounds I can shove into those Taylor Freelance basepads? As far as holsters go, seems there aren't any from Bladetech and I'm not into Comptac, but I did see Black Scorpion has a nice competition holster for the 4.5" -

https://www.blackscorpiongear.com/products/walther-pdp-pro-competition-holster?_pos=2&_sid=c43492ddd&_ss=r

As far as optics go, I'm a big fan of the C-More RTS2. They are cheap with a big window, and have a decent warranty; however, I haven't seen any plate options for the RTS2 footprint and looking at the slide, it seems the rear sight takes up real estate and forced Walther to make the optics cut just a few mm too small for the RTS2 footprint. Anyone know if there's a way to mount an RTS2? If I can't go that route, I'll just suck it up and put a Trijicon SRO on it.

Lastly, TF seems to have some other nice accessories like the brass backstop that I may try out. Probably going to throw 15# or 13# Glock ISMI spring in there. I saw someone else on here going that route, so I'm assuming they are compatible?

Anything else I'm missing? Thanks!

The TF basepads will get you to 22 in the mag, plus one in the gun. I haven't had a chance to play around with different mag spring/follower combinations but am going to give that a try in the next few months. 

Holsters, there are a few options and the comptac one is good but I understand you don't like it. I am working with a holster maker now to get them a 5" gun mold completed but not the 4.5" one, although it will or should work in the same holster. 

I use the DPP and have also mounted a Holosun on one as well but don't know the answers to the RTS design. 

The flatwire springs from ISMI are compatible and work well but you will also need to add a stand alont guide rod for them unless you want to hassle with the stock one. I'm using the 15# one. 

9 hours ago, Prov1x said:

The TF basepads will get you to 22 in the mag, plus one in the gun. I haven't had a chance to play around with different mag spring/follower combinations but am going to give that a try in the next few months. 

Holsters, there are a few options and the comptac one is good but I understand you don't like it. I am working with a holster maker now to get them a 5" gun mold completed but not the 4.5" one, although it will or should work in the same holster. 

I use the DPP and have also mounted a Holosun on one as well but don't know the answers to the RTS design. 

The flatwire springs from ISMI are compatible and work well but you will also need to add a stand alont guide rod for them unless you want to hassle with the stock one. I'm using the 15# one. 

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered some of the TF basepads. I've also got the Black Scorpion Gear CO holster on order. Should be in soon. I'll post some pics and feedback when I get it in. As for a dot, I settled on the Holosun 507c. Just waiting for my optics plate to come in. 

As far as guide rods go... does any Glock guide rod work or do I need something that is PDP/PPQ specific? 

Enjoying the trigger on the PDP so far. Best striker fired trigger that I've come across. Only other issue that I've had with the gun is my support hand pinches my right hand middle finger against the ridge on grip where the ambi mag release can be moved to if you're a lefty. Thinking of getting a dremmel or shaving that ridge off with a file. 

12 hours ago, pealandco said:

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered some of the TF basepads. I've also got the Black Scorpion Gear CO holster on order. Should be in soon. I'll post some pics and feedback when I get it in. As for a dot, I settled on the Holosun 507c. Just waiting for my optics plate to come in. 

As far as guide rods go... does any Glock guide rod work or do I need something that is PDP/PPQ specific? 

Enjoying the trigger on the PDP so far. Best striker fired trigger that I've come across. Only other issue that I've had with the gun is my support hand pinches my right hand middle finger against the ridge on grip where the ambi mag release can be moved to if you're a lefty. Thinking of getting a dremmel or shaving that ridge off with a file. 

ZR tactical makes one that will fit in the 4.5" pdp but you can also use a guide rod for an M&P, I am using a tungsten one I purchased several years ago in my 5". I haven't tried other guide rods yet. 

On 10/23/2021 at 12:10 AM, pealandco said:

Which mags are you using 15rd or 18rd ? I'm not really familiar with the pdp but I have a Q5 SF I'm trying to get set up and it comes with the 15-17rd mags so I'm planning on getting the TF basepads and grams springs which I think will get me to 22-23 rds. 

On 10/25/2021 at 6:24 AM, Lightj75 said:

Which mags are you using 15rd or 18rd ? I'm not really familiar with the pdp but I have a Q5 SF I'm trying to get set up and it comes with the 15-17rd mags so I'm planning on getting the TF basepads and grams springs which I think will get me to 22-23 rds. 

I've to the 4.5" FS model w/ the 18rd mags. I can confirm the TF base pads will fit 22. 

On 10/24/2021 at 7:24 PM, stock said:

If you get sig 320 grams springs and followers you can get 23 reload able in those with TF basepads 

I'll have to give those a try. The Walther PDP FS TF base pads get me to 22. 

On 10/23/2021 at 11:31 AM, Prov1x said:

ZR tactical makes one that will fit in the 4.5" pdp but you can also use a guide rod for an M&P, I am using a tungsten one I purchased several years ago in my 5". I haven't tried other guide rods yet. 

Got the ZR Tactical guide rod and installed it today along with a 15# Glock flat wire ISMI. Was a PITA to get in there, but I got it in. Ended up using a punch as a guide rod from the muzzle direction and that helped. Maybe the spring will compress a bit to make field strips & cleaning easier. Definitely feels lighter than the factory spring. Going to take it out this weekend with my 130-135 PF minor loads and see how it does. Thanks again!

Edited by pealandco

On 10/20/2021 at 3:41 PM, pealandco said:

Been shooting Open for most of this year and got the bug recently to jump into CO since I've got a lot of components sitting around for 9 Minor and I suck at irons. Picked up a PDP FS 4.5" today after doing some research. Seems that I can go with the 140mm Taylor Freelance basepads assuming I can find some Walther FS mags. If not, I've heard the Canik mags work fine. Anyone know how many rounds I can shove into those Taylor Freelance basepads? As far as holsters go, seems there aren't any from Bladetech and I'm not into Comptac, but I did see Black Scorpion has a nice competition holster for the 4.5" -

Red Hill Tactical has PDP holsters, 4", 4.5", and 5".

As for plates for the RTS2...yeah, I've got nothing there. Did some quick searching around and couldn't find anything.

31 minutes ago, RileyBowman said:

Red Hill Tactical has PDP holsters, 4", 4.5", and 5".

As for plates for the RTS2...yeah, I've got nothing there. Did some quick searching around and couldn't find anything.

RHT makes good stuff. Didn't know they had a PDP offering. I ended up going the Black Scorpion route, which has the boss plate, spacer, and holster. As for optics, the slide cut on the PDP is a couple of mm too small for the RTS-2 footprint. It would probably work if someone made a slide plate that wasn't flush, but there's no point. Went with the HS 507c X2, and I like it so far. Haven't had a chance to put any rounds through the gun, yet. Didn't know if I would like the 2 MOA dot after shooting 6 MOA this season on my Open gun, but it seems to work OK.

IMG_0090.jpg

1 minute ago, pealandco said:

RHT makes good stuff. Didn't know they had a PDP offering. I ended up going the Black Scorpion route, which has the boss plate, spacer, and holster. As for optics, the slide cut on the PDP is a couple of mm too small for the RTS-2 footprint. It would probably work if someone made a slide plate that wasn't flush, but there's no point. Went with the HS 507c X2, and I like it so far. Haven't had a chance to put any rounds through the gun, yet. Didn't know if I would like the 2 MOA dot after shooting 6 MOA this season on my Open gun, but it seems to work OK.

Awesome. Glad to see you’ve got it worked out so far! Good luck in your upcoming matches!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...