Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CO nationals top 10: 75-85% Alphas

Kenaxford

42 minutes ago, konkapot said:

They don't "like" that a fast run with A/C hits crushes a slow run with all alphas. 

This hits home for me lol. I mean, my bud shot four M’s to my one granted I had a NS as well. But his time made up for that. Next training session I’ll be playing with shot placements vs time and try to manage them a bit better. See what works and what doesn’t. I understand a little more though now when people say things like “shoot if you’re on the brown”. 

8 hours ago, X5SigChris said:

I’ll be playing with shot placements vs time and try to manage them a bit better.

If by shot placement you mean "target difficulty" then I think that's worth pursuing.  You can't afford misses and no shoots, and can tolerate only very, very few Ds.  You also need 75 - 80% As if you're shooting minor

But I bet that the major reason why you're slow is that you're inefficient (ie slow) in doing all the repetitive things that are needed to get through the stage and that don't involve pulling the trigger.

Think about what that means.

You’re correct in that. I was slow because I was actually slow. Transitions and moving my feet were slower than I wanted. Felt fast until the camera came out.

And I’m not following what you’re saying in the second part. Last match I shot 84% A’s. I’d like to set a stage up and get a base line and then push to an overall quicker time and score it. Do I stay the same? Do I drop to 60% A’s? What’s manageable and tolerable and at what point do I lose more than I gain. 

31 minutes ago, X5SigChris said:

You’re correct in that. I was slow because I was actually slow. Transitions and moving my feet were slower than I wanted. Felt fast until the camera came out.

And I’m not following what you’re saying in the second part. Last match I shot 84% A’s. I’d like to set a stage up and get a base line and then push to an overall quicker time and score it. Do I stay the same? Do I drop to 60% A’s? What’s manageable and tolerable and at what point do I lose more than I gain. 

With all due respect, if your goal is to become a C class shooter, you are seriously overthinking all of this. A lot. 

If you are going to be assessing scores while training (maybe on a mini-stage that you set up) scoring should be done based on HF.  Forget about the % of A's.  Our sport uses HF scoring.  Learn and embrace it.

44 minutes ago, Balakay said:

With all due respect, if your goal is to become a C class shooter, you are seriously overthinking all of this. A lot. 

If you are going to be assessing scores while training (maybe on a mini-stage that you set up) scoring should be done based on HF.  Forget about the % of A's.  Our sport uses HF scoring.  Learn and embrace it.

I get that. Maybe I miss-worded. The % was simply one of numerous metrics for data. Not saying it was the primary means of determining outcome. More of a “my HF got better/worse, what changed?”

11 hours ago, X5SigChris said:

I basically agree with the direction you're taking but I would forget about setting up stages to practice.  It's much more time and ammo efficient, and just as effective, to setup drills that work on the elements that make up a stage.  Just buy the live and dry fire drill books from Ben Stoeger and do what he says.  It will save me a ton of typing.

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2022 at 5:29 PM, konkapot said:

........... They don't "like" that a fast run with A/C hits crushes a slow run with all alphas.............

But that's the game. I took me a little while to figure it out being hung up on Alphas. It depends on the total shot count, but generally it looks like for a slow "A" to beat a fast "C" the "A" shot has to be taken 1/3 second faster (maybe more) which is a lot over the course of fire. So in my experience it's not worth trying to make up a C. Now, yes, making up a M better be done if it's notice. Even a "D" can be picked up, but it's done so at a risk. So yea, if one notices a D, and can make an A quickly enough it's worth it, and there's usually the time for it, but if a C or D is the shot that was used to make it up, well then the score was just made worse.