Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2022 USPSA Nationals (all of 'em) Discussion

ChuckS

13 hours ago, Brooke said:

This thread has gone on for far too long. It is impossible to believe that USPSA would hold a national championship match in an area where most of the competitors would be in violation of the current law regardless of the enforcement situation in either local or state wide circumstances.

At the very least there should be in writing from a governor or attorney general (preferably both) that competitors in the match will be exempt from the existing law while competing or preparing to compete.

With all this publicity its entirely possible, or even likely, that some political group will put excessive pressure on law enforcement to uphold this law literally. I'm betting on it. What better way to make a point!

If the state would officially put in writing that competitors will be exempt, it might make sense but I'd still be nervous about a court case where the court says politicians can't exempt some people from state law.

How on earth could this occur? Is USPSA trying to become a junior NRA by challenging laws? That might be the dumbest thing to ever do. Even the USPSA rules state that USPSA will hold competitions under existing law at the competition site. This is unbelievable>

Unfortunately, the law is the law and if the state says exempt and a local LEO decides to enforce what typically isn't unless a crime is committed, what the state says is irrelivatant.  For an AG to say, we will not enforce a law signed ito effect in 2013, challenged in court and affirmed is dictating law by the stroke of a pen!  Next, point is that USPSA has not announced, to my knowledge, what will be enforced regarding magazine capacity at the match.  I do believe that USPSA made a huge mistake regarding the match and the magazine capacity laws in the state.  Also, as I explained in an earlier post, the state court(s) which upheld 2013 law in a ruling ~6 years later never addressed the court accepted approach as to what to do regarding magazine sales which said that LEAs should follow existing law prior to the 2013 legislatures new bill on capacity limites.  So there are 6-7 years of what is legal?  Yet, the court said the 2013 law as written is legal.  How are LEAs, DAs, and the court(s) to hand the issue of a high cap magazines purchased in say 2015 under the court approved procedure which said the sale was legal when the court said the 2013 law stands??? 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a long while in LE, I am interested in how State Police, or any LE agency for that matter, is setting up "roadblocks" to check for firearms violations pursuant to the 4th Amendment....  It is not under the same purview as DUI checkpoints in the slightest.  

Anyway...having shot at Cameo a few times now at bigger matches, i think it is a relative non-issue, as they have both local and out of state shooters who shoot with "high-capacity" magazines on a weekly basis.  However, the messaging from USPSA should be clear on what their rules are for the coming nationals, what their stance is regarding the decision to host it there (aside from the quality of the range) and whether or not they have put any thought towards the potential legal issues competitors may face.  

Either way, I'm looking forward to it and will be there. 

I don't get having a hicap race guns nats and adding production to it. Especially in a mag restricted state. Would make more sense to just have the locap nats there and race gun nats at cmp. 

I also don't get why all the matches have different amounts of days? 

I would really like to know the line of thinking the board put into this because to me it just looks kind of thrown together. 

I do want to shoot CO Nats then head up to the Atomic Blast the next weekend. 

Edited by Bakerjd

8 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

I don't get having a hicap race guns nats and adding production to it. Especially in a mag restricted state. Would make more sense to just have the locap nats there and race gun nats at cmp. 

I also don't get why all the matches have different amounts of days? 

Dude for real! I mean, I'm a competitor so I'll shoot it as is but...... but you know the flavor of the match will not favor Prod and it will feel like a match for the other divisions.

And 4 days is just wrong for me. I do know, that I am definitely in the minority, but I prefer to shoot as much as possible in as few of days as possible. It suits me better to shoot marathon days versus day after day after day of 4 hour matches.

The funny thing to me is that people expect USPSA to NOT screw up the Nationals in some manner or another. Their track record proves otherwise. Regardless of where the USPSA Nationals will be hosted, they will find a way to screw it up in some manner or another. This is what happens when the people responsible for hosting it are not held accountable for their repeated failures.

1 hour ago, CHA-LEE said:

The funny thing to me is that people expect USPSA to NOT screw up the Nationals in some manner or another. Their track record proves otherwise. Regardless of where the USPSA Nationals will be hosted, they will find a way to screw it up in some manner or another. This is what happens when the people responsible for hosting it are not held accountable for their repeated failures.

Could not agree more!