Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2022 USPSA Nationals (all of 'em) Discussion

ChuckS

I can't wait to see who gets crowned the 2022 USPSA Open-15 and Limited-15 national champions.

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

IDPA just had their Nat's there including PCC with 30 round mags. I believe this club has hosted other uspsa matches too.

I imagine this is going to be a stay home if you're not comfortable with it situation. 

Not stay at home, just have to bring compliant equipment.

Glad I'm being told as a USPSA member that I should have to choose between signing up for the nationals and violating the law (especially where we're talking about an actual crime that carries potential jail time, not just a fine/forfeiture of the equipment).

I wonder if New Jersey or New York are going to host the Open-15 or Open-8 Division championship next year. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it will be a problem, but I get why people are freaking out. For sure, there have been big and well-attended major matches in colorado and california for years without the slightest issue, but nationals seems like an even bigger thing, and more likely to draw attention, and many people are sticklers about following the rules, even the stupid, despotic and possibly unconstitutional ones. I hope it gets resolved to everyone's satisfaction, but I personally am going to go shoot and not worry about it in the slightest. 

A much bigger issue for me is that you are not allowed to have a dog anywhere on the premises, including in your truck or camper in the parking lot. I'm probably going to have to just park right outside the gate, and walk out at lunchtime to let everyone out to stretch their legs and pee.

I won't be going regardless so it's not a big deal to me, but it is interesting that there are 41 States that this probable non-issue is an actual non-issue. You could have thrown a dart at a map of the US had a pretty solid chance of not landing on a state with mag restrictions

7 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Not when you can have a match with 500 competitors in one division.

Not arguing that CO isn’t popular. Combining 4 divisions is dumb.

Maybe lumping L10, SS, revo and prod would be OK

More people shooting Open than CO in Alabama this week, BTW

12 minutes ago, RJH said:

I won't be going regardless so it's not a big deal to me, but it is interesting that there are 41 States that this probable non-issue is an actual non-issue. You could have thrown a dart at a map of the US had a pretty solid chance of not landing on a state with mag restrictions

+100.  wonder if this one was another "farmed out" nationals.  i can't imagine why they would have chose a state like Colorado.

47 minutes ago, RJH said:

Not to mention the confusion in the rules over restricted states. Seems it has been brought up before that grandfathered residents can shoot what they want but out of state visitors would be restricted even though our rules say all will be restricted.

As a Colorado USPSA shooter, I can assure you there will be no problem at all for anyone.  Especially since this is nowhere near Aspen or Boulder.   I can walk into many stores and buy whatever capacity magazine I want. USPSA is happening all over, and open, Limited and PCC are quite popular being shot the way they were meant to. No one is trying to hide it either.   There is less than zero chance of this becoming an issue.  Please don't wring your hands and make this an issue where there truly is none.  You kind of need to be up to speed on how things are in Colorado to understand, and it's too long to try to explain here.   

Looks like a solid schedule for next year. Only thing that sucks for me is I have to choose between SS nationals and Bianchi Cup. I also realize I'm probably one of the few that has to make that decision.

It will be interesting to see the number of competitors for CO Nats. I'm guessing it will be very high, and that's why it makes sense to have a stand alone match for CO.

9 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

As a Colorado USPSA shooter, I can assure you there will be no problem at all for anyone.  Especially since this is nowhere near Aspen or Boulder.   I can walk into many stores and buy whatever capacity magazine I want. USPSA is happening all over, and open, Limited and PCC are quite popular being shot the way they were meant to. No one is trying to hide it either.   There is less than zero chance of this becoming an issue.  Please don't wring your hands and make this an issue where there truly is none.  You kind of need to be up to speed on how things are in Colorado to understand, and it's too long to try to explain here.   

About time sanity made an appearance..........

23 minutes ago, Rvajma said:

Looks like the October match will be a chilly one.  If weather is anything like this week in Grand Junction, looks like it will be in the 40’s till noon.

4800' elevation guarantees chilly mornings! But the squads will only have 2/4 early starts.

23 hours ago, Balakay said:

Odd that CO is a stand-alone match and Open is lumped with Production. 

After attending CO Nationals, I think due to the wait list that was probably so long USPSA felt the could fill CO Nationals with 400 shooters.  I also believe that USPSA had a multi year deal with CMP so they may be keeping CO Nationals there until the contract with CMP is completed.

5 hours ago, ChuckS said:

4800' elevation guarantees chilly mornings! But the squads will only have 2/4 early starts.

I thought they should have switch the last two Nationals location wise.  Put the Alabama Nationals in October and the Colorado Nationals in September.

Now that I gave this a little more thought.  The are shooting in September in Alabama because of the 9:00 am start time.  In both of our PM starts we were shooting when the sun was down.

Edited by Boomstick303

14 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

^^^^^^^^^

THIS

Bringing magazines in and out of Colorado is not an Issue.  I would not forward any information of what you have when you fly out.  To my knowledge they are not checking you luggage when you arrive with checked firearms.  When you approach the counter indicate that you are checking a firearm with your luggage.  That is it.  Many of the local USPA members fly in and out of DIA without issue.  The airline and the TSA does not care.  They only care that the firearm is checked properly.  I carry a printed copy of the TSA and the airline I am flying on guideline's if the TSA and/or baggage check personnel do not know their own rules and regulations.  TSA and airline bag check personnel are not versed in what the magazines laws are, and do not seem to care.

Hunters come in and out of the state all of the time by air.  Checking in your firearm is pretty common place for most airlines and the TSA at DIA.

With that said do not do something dumb and bring loaded magazines in your luggage.

Also, when you are flying out give yourself an extra 30-45 minutes to check the firearm(s).  You have to accompany it to the X-Ray machine, and they may need the keys to open the case if the X-Ray machine comes up with something they need to look at.

Colorado is not New Jersey.  (At least for now)

Also, I understand for some getting to Grand Junction, Colorado may not be ideal, but that facility will blow any National event you have ever attended out of the water.  The facility is amazing and the staff there puts on a first rate match.  

Edited by Boomstick303

14 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Bringing magazines in and out of Colorado is not an Issue. 

Committing a crime is an issue whether you think it is an issue or not.  This is not a joke: that law, if applied, could send people to jail.  It's not as if it's just a fine or they take your stuff.  This ain't a speeding 1-10 over.

58 minutes ago, twodownzero said:

Committing a crime is an issue whether you think it is an issue or not.  This is not a joke: that law, if applied, could send people to jail.  It's not as if it's just a fine or they take your stuff.  This ain't a speeding 1-10 over.

Since you're the only one who cares, then stay home.

1 hour ago, twodownzero said:

We access risk every day in everything we do.  We understand you risk assessment of the situation.  Thank you for your input.