Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strong hand ??

Sinister4

Question, I draw and shoot right side, but due to my right shoulder being pretty torn up in the past can I somehow use my left hand for "strong hand " shooting?  My left is for sure what I would call my strong hand as far as holding the gun. I can pull off maybe 4 shots with the right alone but after that is goes to c&ap pretty dang quick.   On another note is there any rule for one hand shooting If I fold my arm at the elbow and shoot one handed with the upper arm (shoulder to elbow) resting on my torso ?  Thanks  ( And no its not going to get any better with training or drills or exercise) 

Yes, you can use your left hand but consult with the RM/MD to avoid any drama on the stage. From rule 10.2.10:

10.2.10.1 Exception – In a weak hand/strong hand stage, a competitor who has physical use of only one hand may use the same hand for both weak and strong without penalty.

As for your other question, if you keep the opposite hand away from the shooting hand and arm, you should be legal. It does seem that going to your left hand would be a better idea since sighting would probably be easier. 😉 

Get a lefty holster and that becomes your strong hand. Then you don't risk dropping the gun or other DQ issues transferring hands. When I broke a finger on my right hand I borrowed a lefty holster and used that "WHO" though by the rules was "SHO"

Bill, if you generally draw and shoot right-handed because that's where your holster is, that IS your strong side (see the Appendix A3, Rulebook Glossary definition for "Strong Hand Only").

You said you're shooting two-handed with a support hand (weak/left-hand). Good. And I hear you saying your right arm gets tired after a few shots SHO with no support. It would then of course be easier to switch to your support-hand (left), but that makes it evident that you have the use of both hands; just for differing durations. 

Chuck's rule cite of 10.2.10.1 specifically identifies competitors with the use of only one hand as eligible for that exception. With the use of two, I doubt you would qualify. 

----------------

Talk to the person fulfilling the RM role, and work out the Special Penalty in advance. You may get lucky; you might not:

10.2.10 -- Special penalty: A competitor unable to fully execute any part of a course of fire due to incapacity or injury may, prior to making his attempt at the course of fire, request that the Range Master apply a penalty in lieu of the stated course requirement.

10.2.10.1 previously cited.

10.2.10.2 -- If the request is approved by the Range Master, a minimum of one procedural penalty, up to a maximum penalty of 20% of the competitor’s points “as shot” (rounded up to the nearest whole number), will be deducted from the competitor’s score. For example, if 100 points are available in the course of fire and the competitor actually scores 90 points, the special penalty is a deduction of 18 points. The Range Master may waive any or all procedural penalties in respect of a competitor who has a significant physical disability prior to the competitor making his attempt at the course of fire.

*Before the rule change to "a minimum of one procedural", RMs were allowed to assess a penalty of NO penalty. It was on a case by case basis. You were empowered to use your judgement.

I've done it. Not always, but sometimes. To do it I had to trust someone would do the right thing as agreed. Then I usually hung around nearby, and then watched their run closely. Any cheating of the agreed Special parameters would have been had to be dealt with harshly.

Thankfully, that never happened. Everybody was good during their runs. 

3 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

Bill, if you generally draw and shoot right-handed because that's where your holster is, that IS your strong side (see the Appendix A3, Rulebook Glossary definition for "Strong Hand Only").

You said you're shooting two-handed with a support hand (weak/left-hand). Good. And I hear you saying your right arm gets tired after a few shots SHO with no support. It would then of course be easier to switch to your support-hand (left), but that makes it evident that you have the use of both hands; just for differing durations. 

Chuck's rule cite of 10.2.10.1 specifically identifies competitors with the use of only one hand as eligible for that exception. With the use of two, I doubt you would qualify. 

----------------

Talk to the person fulfilling the RM role, and work out the Special Penalty in advance. You may get lucky; you might not:

10.2.10 -- Special penalty: A competitor unable to fully execute any part of a course of fire due to incapacity or injury may, prior to making his attempt at the course of fire, request that the Range Master apply a penalty in lieu of the stated course requirement.

10.2.10.1 previously cited.

10.2.10.2 -- If the request is approved by the Range Master, a minimum of one procedural penalty, up to a maximum penalty of 20% of the competitor’s points “as shot” (rounded up to the nearest whole number), will be deducted from the competitor’s score. For example, if 100 points are available in the course of fire and the competitor actually scores 90 points, the special penalty is a deduction of 18 points. The Range Master may waive any or all procedural penalties in respect of a competitor who has a significant physical disability prior to the competitor making his attempt at the course of fire.

*Before the rule change to "a minimum of one procedural", RMs were allowed to assess a penalty of NO penalty. It was on a case by case basis. You were empowered to use your judgement.

I've done it. Not always, but sometimes. To do it I had to trust someone would do the right thing as agreed. Then I usually hung around nearby, and then watched their run closely. Any cheating of the agreed Special parameters would have been had to be dealt with harshly.

Thankfully, that never happened. Everybody was good during their runs. 

Agreed , I think the best thing to do is just keep using my right hand as strong and if needed just do my "fold elbow into body" deal, I have a very light .22 and have been shooting that one handed a LOT to try to build up the shoulder. Right now I can pull off 4-6 shots and really other than some classifiers its all good :)   It's not like a can't use my right arm/hand, its just gets tired real quick one handed, both hands I hold like a rock, Thank you very much for the input !!