Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Time questions

Stafford

Never shot steel challenge but one of the local ranges will be hosting an event this weekend. They noted that there will be 4 stages. Trying to figure out how much ammo will be needed. As I understand it, you normally shoot each stage 5 times and record the best four times. Each stage has 5 targets. So, assuming no misses, 25 rounds per stage. So, for four stages, a minimum of 100 rounds would be shot. 

Order of shooting? I guess the targets can be shot in any order as long as the stop plate is shot last?

Planning to bring my USPSA belt, holster and S2 for CO division. Any advice for a first time steel challenge competitor? Are there any pitfalls to watch out for?

I would bring 200 rds in case of misses.

There are lots of articles out that cover plate shooting order.  The short version is, figure out if you are better at shooting left to right or right to left, then tackle any symmetrical stages accordingly.  Also try to avoid more than one change of direction when transitioning between targets.

If you're shooting a Shadow 2, make sure you can hammer down safely (had to DQ a guy who AD'd on the hammer down once).

Other first time tips:

CO can be loaded to capacity, so if you have them, bring five mags and change after each so you never have to worry about having enough in the mag to finish a string.

It's wise to check that your gun is in battery after each string, or after a bad one, to make sure you have a round in the chamber.  Draw and click really sucks in Steel Challenge.

Make sure your mags are loaded up and ready to go the night before.

apoc said it all.  If you are an experienced USPSA shooter then you already know safety and all that.  With CO in SC you will be drawing from the holster in the surrender position.  You do not need to keep your gun in the holster or mags on your belt.  Most shooters come to the box with their gun in a bag and the mags in pouches (not on belt).  But some load up like a USPSA match as that is how they are more comfortable.  

if they are doing 4 official stages of SC then you will get classified in CO when the scores are submitted.

Just have fun and be safe.  

I disagree with loading the mags up, unless you have too few mags.  The extra weight slows transitions.  No matter what I'm shooting I only put 10 in a mag.  That way it always feels the same.  If you blow through ten rounds on a string, that string is toast.  I always bring 6 loaded mags to the table.

Tell the RO on the stage you are a new to SCSA shooter.  Ask him to let you go last, or at least near the end.  Watch how the other shooters attack the stage.  Air gun it to see what is the most comfortable for you.

Practice your surrender draw.  You don't do it often in USPSA.  You'll do it every draw in SCSA.  Taking .2 seconds off each beep to bang draw adds up to .8 seconds a stage.  Believe it or not, that's significant.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

I disagree with loading the mags up, unless you have too few mags.  The extra weight slows transitions.  No matter what I'm shooting I only put 10 in a mag.  That way it always feels the same.  If you blow through ten rounds on a string, that string is toast.

For a first time shooter I would not limit myself to 10 rounds.  Too often I've seen new shooters blow multiple rounds on the same target then have to reload, spoiling a mag.  Unless you are willing to give up a string/miss stop or skip targets to go for the stop on the last round, just load fully and try to hit all of your targets.  

Here's my intro to Steel Challenge video.

And for your first match---don't worry about mag weight and everything else.  (I didn't have a problem making GM in CO with full mags, I'll note.  The additional weight in the mags isn't what is holding me back from being faster, either.)  Load 'em up. 

Have plenty of ammo (I'd bring at least 150, but if you bring 200 it isn't like it'll make you lose the match.)

Dry-fire some surrender draws before the match. 

Make sure you have a plan how to shoot the stage---and if it doesn't match anyone else's plan (other than the stop plate) don't worry about it.  For your first match, being consistent and going one-for-one on the plates will make a LOT more difference than having the "optimal" plate-order plan.

You'll have a ton of fun---SC is a seriously good time.  Good luck!

One more thing - you have a minute after the "Make Ready" command to assume the ready position.  Use this time to practice your draw and take sight pictures.  I will do five draws with sight pictures before loading up and assuming ready and can do that in under a minute.  It does help to have your mag bag unzipped and ready to go at the "Make Ready" command.

Also, when changing mags make sure you are consistent about depositing the used mags in a separate place from the fresh ones.  Running empty in a string because you seated a spent mag also sucks.

Stafford, it works just like USPSA.  Don't pull the trigger until your dot is on the target.  You don't have to double tap, so hit the target and move on.  You don't have to run.  Stage plan just like USPSA.  Decide on what order you will engage the targets, then stick to the plan.  You will be fine.  You are not a newb shooter, just new to SCSA.  Load your mags full if you like.  You are not going to need all those rounds.  Have fun.