Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When is 38SC NOT really 38SC or ??

mdkauder

While I have been shooting USPSA for 15 years, getting older and my eyes do not work so well in my beloved Limited/Iron Sights, so I have moved to OPEN.

I have a 9mm Major gun and a 38SC gun.   Same maker (who is irrelevant),   I have a good source of free 38 SC brass, and like the feel just a bit better than the 9Major..

Started having a problem in some local matches, about once a match.   Round fired, the slide comes back but does not extract the spent case.  Drop mag, drop the slide, and have to pound the slide racker to get the spent case out...  Real time killer.    Unfortunately it happened 3 times this last match yesterday, twice in one stage.

I do not think it is Extractor, as it clamped on good when I have to hammer the slide racker (my hand will attest to that).     But today I put a different extractor in, and test fired 200 rounds at the range today.  No problems.   Then put the AFTEC back in with new springs, and fired 200 more.  No problems.     

So I am setting here thinking about it, and realize all my test rounds today were Starline brass.  At local matches I frequently shoot up my odd ball headstamp brassed ammo, I mean it is lost, why lose the good stuff......38TJ, Laupa 38 Super, etc, etc.   

I rollsize all brass and case check all loaded rounds with a Hundo gauge.   I would understand a loaded round not going in, but one that goes in, fires but will not come out.

I have not checked headstamps on problem cases, as I am in the middle of the match.   The one or two times it has happened in practice........I was not thinking the brass was the problem, so have not checked it.

So maybe some weird 1 in 200 headstamp is doing it......     Not Starline,  Not Atlanta Arms - got tons of that stuff.

I am now sorting out my odd headstamped loaded rounds to test tomorrow.

Thoughts.

Mark Kauder

L3733         

I usually shoot starline, no problems, but there is one case I really dislike, AP. I bought some used brass a few years ago and it included more of the AP brass than the person selling it said? Live and learn. I'll be glad when it's all gone. I have shot just about everything else with no issues, but! 

Pounding on the racker to get the case out does not point to an issue with the extractor or extractor groove.  Extractor grooves do vary quite a bit amongst rimless Supers, from tiny (old Lapua) to big (TJ & newer runs of Supercomp), but I don't think this is related to that.

9x23 brass is a problem if it gets in with the Supercomp.  You should feel it reloading but it will likely cause a jam if you try to fire it.  I'd suspect that first if there's any chance 9x23 is getting into your brass supply.

I think I would start with the least expensive and easiest part first, the brass. If you can locate the suspect brass while shooting, put it in your pocket and wait for a convenient time to inspect it. I have never seen the need for an AFTEC extractor, the standard extractors work great in both of my pistols, Super and SC.