Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Win 244 and coated bullets, hi tek alternatives

datderecelltech

Tried 4 124/125 gr rn bullets loaded to 1.09 with 4.1 gr of win 244 on my cz p01 for a local comp over the weekend. Summit cities, sns, acme, and hoosier.

When I returned back I noticed there was some leading in my barrel. I have a feeling it was one specific brand, but I am also curious what other folks' experiences with win 244 and hi tek coated bullets are?

If hi tek is not a viable solution I was looking at two other options and wanted folk's opinion: 

Precision bullets (I hear very mixed things everywhere about you will be getting leading, no you wont etc)

Blue bullets (again, I hear very mixed things everywhere about you will be getting leading, no you wont etc) 

If all else fails it seems like everglades are still reasonably cheap lol 

I've shot hundreds of hitek/244 rounds this year. Maybe 800ish. Bayou and brazos. Also a bunch of plated Xtremes and some XTP's. 

It leaves some residue in the barrel, but it's certainly not leading like what I got shooting bare lead, where i often had large heavy deposits that needed removal.

Are you actually getting heavy lead deposits? From a Glock, XD, and a sdve, none of my guns have had any sort of problem with hitek. 

A lot also depends on your barrel. How well they lapped it, which way the grain lays, if it’s evenly sized from end to end and tighter at the muzzle ect. Some are a bit larger next to the lands so you can get blow by and leading there and can also be rougher there. Lots of things can contribute. I have a rifle that fouls badly with jacketed bullets, but the bore looks like a file. 

Don't know about your CZ . But the few I have seen need bullets sized closer to .358 than .355.

Then there is your reloading practices. How you seat. How you crimp(remove the flair ). Lots of 

Variables. 244 is not one of the powders known to cause leading issues . with coated bullets.

Edited by AHI

Thanks for the responses everyone.  I dont know the barrel itself. Maybe I need to get it slugged in the future. I did pull a few of my bullets. There seems to be no scraping of the coating. I think its just one brand that caused this issue, and I think that brand bullet had coating removed from the seater plug couple times. 

I’ve used a few different hi tek bullets in my shadow 2.  Bravos leaded up after a 100 rds. NB reloading worked great but they are now out of business 😡. Blue bullets have worked out good.  I have shot thousands of Bear Creek with no issues however my last purchase I noticed some leading. I have an order in for Summit bullets to try. 
For me I’m using Berry’s bullets with no leading problems. 

Slug your barrel so you know what you need. 

Generally CZ barrels are very good quality with a bit shorter throat.  Sizing preferred in mine have been larger (.357) than some other manufacturers.  

I think its reasonable to expect coated bullets to shoot a little dirtier than plated or fmj, but a lot cleaner than bare lead. My brazos are .3575 and still leave a little leading. 

I don't know if this is solvable, or honestly is an issue at all in need of solving. Saves a ton of money at the expense of cleaning a little bit more. You might find that slugging your barrel and swapping around a bunch of brands for larger diameter ends in the same result. If this is unacceptable, plated is the answer.