Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited 40sw

Hvansky

On 10/15/2021 at 9:55 AM, davsco said:

not sure where you got that idea or info, they sent me a return label recently to check out my dvc open gun from way before staccato was a thing.

They did the same for me when I cracked a frame on a DVC Limited Island Barrel 40 earlier this year. They didn't have another DVC to replace it with so they replaced it with a Staccato XL in 40. 

13 hours ago, MRevolutionIX said:

They did the same for me when I cracked a frame on a DVC Limited Island Barrel 40 earlier this year. They didn't have another DVC to replace it with so they replaced it with a Staccato XL in 40. 

Thats awesome but also kind of a bummer. The DVC limited's are sweet blasters!!

2 hours ago, Brooke said:

What are you saying?

That it doesn't take a $1500 TSO or the like for a shooter to make it to GM or belong on the super squad (ref. Bob Vogel for example) . Some of the everyday shooter priced plastic fantastics are flat out great guns. 

I'm going to re-emphasize the importance of actually shooting both guns, and hopefully several versions of each.  That's exactly what I did before buying the CZ 75 TS Limited gun.  There were seven TS shooters at my club and lots of 2011 shooters.  I liked both and could have gone either way.  I wanted a gun fast and I was knee deep into a 1911 build, so I didn't have time to build a 2011.  So I bought the TS.  It took real competition matches to finally make me realize the TS was the superior Limited gun in my hands.

One of my shooting buddies bought a stock TSO and shot it all last year.  He complained about the ergos, and frankly never shot it all that well.  At the match on Sat he was squaded with me.  After a couple/three stage I commented on how much faster and better he was shooting.  He said he had been taking lessons.  He also told me the instructor told him the TSO was not the gun for him.  It didn't fit him well and he had trouble taking the safety off.    He was offered a 2011 Limited gun to shoot and it fit him to a T.  So he ordered a short block and Cheely SS grip from Brazos and built the gun.  He loves it.

He has a history of buying guns for Limited without trying them first.  He bought a Sig Legend, shot it for two weeks and sold it.  Before that was another gun.  Same thing.  Same with the TSO, although he did shoot it for a year.

So it really doesn't matter that I say for me the TS was the superior Limited gun.  It doesn't matter if someone else swears a 2011 is the top pick.  What matters is how each performs in your hands.  To discover that you have to shoot them all.  That's what I did and didn't waste any money buying the wrong thing.

Edited by zzt

I started with a TS, and then eventually got an edge (mostly because I was also shooting SS, so keeping the ergos similar helped me switch), then eventually got an Atlas Titan. Between my wife and I, we had one crappy edge that wouldn't shoot a tight group and had to go back to the factory, one pretty good edge, and one absolutely stellar edge that was built very tight and well fit (I still have that one). They were all extremely reliable.

I tried a gun with a steel grip, and vastly preferred it, and that was sort of the catalyst for getting an Atlas. When you consider the cost of adding a steel grip to an existing gun, it just made more sense to get one that came that way from the factory. We figured out that a Titan was only about $200 more than a DVC and then putting a steel grip on it.

For sure the tacsport was by FAR the most reliable of the limited guns I've shot. Mine never actually had a single malfunction. I would liked to have tried it with a lighter slide tho.

I started with a used Lone Star Innovations 40sw. Sold it and bought 2 Atlas Titans, one to use and another for a backup. It was ok. Then a good friend of mine in our shooting group highly recommended Brazos Customs for Limited. Bought it after talking to Bob. Hell of a gun, never once it let me down as far as functioning. Bob's guns runs flawlessly. Eats everything as far as my handloads as well as factory. I've switched from Atlas to Brazos earlier this season and will continue to do so.  

50 minutes ago, jmv_2alpha said:

I started with a used Lone Star Innovations 40sw. Sold it and bought 2 Atlas Titans, one to use and another for a backup. It was ok. Then a good friend of mine in our shooting group highly recommended Brazos Customs for Limited. Bought it after talking to Bob. Hell of a gun, never once it let me down as far as functioning. Bob's guns runs flawlessly. Eats everything as far as my handloads as well as factory. I've switched from Atlas to Brazos earlier this season and will continue to do so.  

I am in the process of spec'in out a limited 40 blaster and am planning on having brazos put it together. Its a little more than I wanted to spend on a limited setup but his work looks amazing!

Zzt I can’t agree more.  I thought I wanted an M&P when they came

out, until I spent time with one and realized it didn’t fit my hands as well as a the glock did.  I know I could probably spend hours upon hours training to be proficient, but since it’s not my primary job, it was easier to get rid of it and shoot what felt right to start with.  

same with my limited and open guns, I found the evo steel grip sits far better than the plastics did, even after shaping them.

took a while to realize just buying and trying to shoot a gun that looked cool wasn’t helping when it didn’t sit right in the hands. 

Take a look at BUL SAS II SL. SAS II STANDARD LIMITED Stainless – GP ARMS Comes in Standard ($2190), Saw [saw style on slide] ($2350), Air [lightening cuts on slide] ($2550). We have the Standard and love it for Limited. We use Atlanta Arms and Freedom Munitions 180gr and love it.

Also, Masterpiece Arms just came out with a 40 that they call their Travis Tomasie Competition Model MPA DS40 TT Comp Pistol - MasterPiece Arms, Inc. ($2999). We have no experience with it but maybe some others here can chime in.

We had a TSO 40 and liked it but simply liked the 2011 platform better, so we sold the TSO a couple months ago (to another Enos member).

Happy hunting!

Edited by jt1207
added words to clarify

On 10/18/2021 at 3:09 PM, motosapiens said:

a custom tungsten-infused plastic gun, that you probably still can't buy.....

And Mason takes it again with his humble X5. Must have had a good day today. We’re proud of him back home. Way to go Mason!