Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer seating

MingTyhMaa

In loading 9mm 115 grain bullet with  Federal Premium Gold Medal Centerfire Primers- AR Small Rifle Match, I am having alot of no fires.  

If I am worried about poor primer seating, once I attempt to fire it and the striker hits the primer, will it push the improperly seated primer inwards such that examining the primer afterwards will not confirm my suspicion?

First to answer your question as asked. Yes .    Rifle primers may not work in striker fired guns. The striker just may not hit hard enough.

Try this take the round that did not fire. Put it back in and try to fire it again. If it goes off . You are not seating the primers deep enough.

Is there any difference in the hardness between 

Federal Gold Medal AR Centerfire Primer GM205MAR

Federal Champion Centerfire Primer 205

I've had colleagues use Federal SRP for 9mm minor without any issue but technically I don't know which of the 2 above they have.

I have the Federal Gold Medal AR Centerfire Primer GM205MAR

Yes, the GM205MAR have a thicker, harder cup than the 205s.  As others have said, save the GM205MAR for other guns or rifles.  You shouldn't have any trouble trading them either to someone who needs them for an AR.

I've used plenty of regular SRP in handguns and they work fine.

Edited by galt11

11 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

Rifle primers… especially AR primers aren’t the best idea for a striker fired gun. Especially Glocks. 

Best reserved for hammer-fired guns or PCCs  

And the AR primers don't even work well on hammer fired guns. I bought some Win equivalent ones, #41's. They would not go bang very often with my Shadow 2 (even with an extended firing pin) or my P229. Non-AR specific small rifle primers are no issue though.