Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A. T. Barr

GrumpyOne

A.T. Barr passed away on January 4th this year. 

I met AT here on the forums, back in 2009/2010. He was always full of good advice and sharp wit.

The very first real match I ever shot, AT loaned me the gear to shoot it. I was in the area, and mentioned I was outside of Lexington, Ky, and he told me about the monthly USPSA match at BGSL. I showed up, found where he said he was gonna be, and went from there. We shot all but the first BITBG matches together, up until he had to quit shooting USPSA due to health reasons, and even after that, we would meet at the Battle, just to BS and watch. We'd go out to dinner the night before with the wives, and generally have a great time. Several years back, he moved out to Tucson, AZ, and, although we still kept in touch, it was not as frequent as before. A year or so after he and Barb moved to Tucson, my wife and I visited them, had some great food, some great bourbon (AT loved 4 Roses Bourbon), and a good cigar. 

He was a great knife maker, an avid USPSA competitor (when he could) and a great friend. He will be greatly missed.

https://www.knifemagazine.com/knifemaker-a-t-barr-passes-away-at-75/

AT was one of the first people who helped me when I shot  my first Level 2 in Kentucky. I had the pleasure of going out to dinner with him and his wife. He once decided not to shoot a match because he felt that his balance was off and he might be a danger to others. He still helped run the match. Safety first, ego last. He will be very missed. RIP 

5780d7dbf7f82b77accb90c4429f6216.jpg

I have been racking what is left of my brain and I am still not sure if I actually met this gentleman. Perhaps at Rio Salado after his move? I tried to check the Area 2 records* but no joy. In any case, I communicated with him frequently before his move. I hooked him up with my realtor friend Debbie Keehart to help him find a place when he was looking in the PHX area. In any case, this is sad news. I hate it when kids our (or at least my) age move on. RIP AT.

* In my search I tried to look on the old area 2 webpage where Jerry Mallard had been keeping records since HTML was hand coded. He had match scores from at least the mid-90's. He was fierce in getting match results from the most tech-backward clubs. Well, the URL (uspsa2.org) now redirects to a page on the USPSA website. I am fearing that Jerry may no longer be with us as I recall he has had medical issues for a long time. 

• 11 months later...

RIP AT.. I use to shoot with him at the local idpa match at Bgsl. I haven’t seen him in a couple years right went he stopped shooting.  He was a great guy, fun and friendly.   I’ve been wondering how he’s been which is how I found this tread.

4 hours ago, JoeMKY said:

RIP AT.. I use to shoot with him at the local idpa match at Bgsl. I haven’t seen him in a couple years right went he stopped shooting.  He was a great guy, fun and friendly.   I’ve been wondering how he’s been which is how I found this tread.

He and Barb had moved from KY to near Tucson, Az a few years before he passed. 

• 2 months later...

AT and his wife Barbara LOVED Tuscon, and he was very happy there.

He was a great guy - had to watch him a little at the New Year's Eve parties... he sure knew how to tie one on.

Nice to remember him.