Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In-ear electronic ear pro

Desk-Jockey

I use and prefer a set of MSA Sordins with foam ear plugs (double up) underneath for most shooting applications.   

However, I have picked up a little sporting clays habit and been doing some upland shooting.   When shouldering my shotgun, I sometimes make contact with MSAs.   It also happens sometimes when rifle shooting, which is leading me to explore in-ear electronic options with similar noise filter capability.  There seems to be three levels:

1) $50 cheapos that I doubt are really worth it 

2) $200-300 versions from Walker and others 

3) $700-1000 for custom fitted versions.  

since it’s occasional use, I am reluctant to drop $1000 on a set of top end customs.   Who has experience with the various kinds that can offer thoughts?    Are the $200-300 ones worth it?   

thanks, DJ

3 minutes ago, Desk-Jockey said:

1) $50 cheapos that I doubt are really worth it 

2) $200-300 versions from Walker and others 

1)  I would not waste your money to figure out these don't work.

2) I have a pair of Walkers and while the price point is nice I do not find them anywhere as nice as my OTTOs, and they pick up every bit of wind noise which is annoying.

3) I do not have experience with any hearing protection that cost more than OTTOs.

Check out OTTOs.  I have ran them for two years and love them.  I did change out the ear insert for the tapered FOAM compression tight fit inserts over the rubber flanged ones or Blocky foam inserts the OTTOs come with.  I find the aftermarket ones you can pick up on Amazon work great and are cheap.  

OTTOs are not cheap at $400 bucks, but I find the performance is worth the cost.  The charging box that stores them when not in use has been charged at the beginning of the season and the is now only down to 50% charge (I average 3-4 days of shooting matches a month).  The charge for the inserts last over 10 hours, so pretty much the whole day of shooting before they need to be recharged.  They pick up next to zero wind noise even on windy days, are super comfortable and durable.  

If you do decide to try OTTOs keep chemicals of any type away from the rubber controls switches on the ear plugs (this includes sun screen, chemical/sanitary/alcohol wipes, and/or bug spray).  Chemicals will damage them.  OTTO did not have to replace mine as my 1 year warranty was passed due, and they could have argued the damaged caused was due to my error, but they replaced them free of charge.  

I have zero affiliation with OTTO.  They have an amazing product with incredible customer service.

I talked myself into the custom electronic in-ear hearing protection this summer since I am on the range most weekends. Ultimately, I have been disappointed in the level of sound reduction when shooting rifles with a brake or being around open pistols etc. I still use them but I don’t think they were worth the money. I have come to find that wearing cheap ol foam ear plugs is the most comfortable for me. People just have to put up with me asking them to repeat themselves sometimes.

Several years ago I had a set of soft plugs made to my ears at the Southern Side x Side shoot in NC. Guy first put a tampon down deep in my ear then mixed up the plug material and inserted it in my ear with a syringe. Had to sit still for 15 minutes then come back in an hour to pickup the plugs. I use these for shooting trap, sporting clays, etc. These plugs work well but I do wish I had a cord in them that goes around your neck. Helps with dropping/loosing a plug. You can get different colors & I recommend a bright orange. If you are close to a large sporting clays shoot you might check & see if a molded ear plug vendor is at the shoot.  

Peltor TEP-100 or TEP-200. The latter has some wireless audio transmission capabilities, but not very useful for competitive shooters (requires some neck loop to be worn).

I have use these for years now. Battery lasts all day for at least 4 years before the built-in batteries deteriorate. With skull screw tips in, I find them working well enough stand-alone with an open gun outdoors.

I have several pairs of passive custom molded plugs, and found that within 2 years or so they don't fit as well as they once did. Guess I'm still growing at 30? These are even the soft silicone ones, rather than hard plastic moulded ones.

On 10/13/2021 at 11:25 AM, Boomstick303 said:

I have zero affiliation with OTTO.  They have an amazing product with incredible customer service.

On 10/13/2021 at 11:41 AM, Nathanb said:

I use the Otto noise barrier micros and love them

I was just looking at these. Do they have enough protection for indoor matches? I double-up if I'm at a public range with multiple guns going but I'm trying to find something that's good enough protection for a single gun on an indoor range.

54 minutes ago, matteekay said:

I was just looking at these. Do they have enough protection for indoor matches? I double-up if I'm at a public range with multiple guns going but I'm trying to find something that's good enough protection for a single gun on an indoor range.

Depends on the gun. Indoor ranges are rough and I try to avoid them whenever I can. With that being said I’ve never had any issues with open guns or any of the louder ar rifles. I’d say with the foam tips you’d probably be ok if it wasn’t something obnoxious 

5 hours ago, matteekay said:

I was recommended the Otto's by a local guy while we ROd and event. He works in a cabinet shop and wears them 8-10 hours a day, every day and loves them. He said they are the most comfortable and have solid hearing protection.

Now that's not an indoor range but it's working with loud machines inside. I will say that even with muffs on I will double plug indoors as it's a lot louder. But our local indoor range is very small so I tend to avoid it.

On 10/14/2021 at 3:11 PM, matteekay said:

Do they have enough protection for indoor matches

I double up inside. I don’t even use them. Foam plugs with over the ear. 

If if I were to use the OTTOs which I have I turn them off. It’s almost the passive does not work at all indoors. When OTTOs are off I believe the have the same decimal reduction that foam ear plugs have just over 20 I believe. 

Edited by Boomstick303

On 10/15/2021 at 2:18 AM, Unregistered said:

Peltor TEP-100 or TEP-200. The latter has some wireless audio transmission capabilities, but not very useful for competitive shooters (requires some neck loop to be worn).

I have use these for years now. Battery lasts all day for at least 4 years before the built-in batteries deteriorate. With skull screw tips in, I find them working well enough stand-alone with an open gun outdoors.

I have several pairs of passive custom molded plugs, and found that within 2 years or so they don't fit as well as they once did. Guess I'm still growing at 30? These are even the soft silicone ones, rather than hard plastic moulded ones.

Have had the tep 100 for a few years and were great, now I get about 45 min to an hour out of 1 of them and its shuts down. Ended up buying a set of walkers non BT and they work ok just prefer the charger on the Tep 100.

23 hours ago, terrydoc said:

Have had the tep 100 for a few years and were great, now I get about 45 min to an hour out of 1 of them and its shuts down. Ended up buying a set of walkers non BT and they work ok just prefer the charger on the Tep 100.

Yup. I get these for ~$200 on eBay, so I figure getting 4 seasons out of them ($50/season) seems very reasonable given how well they work. My current TEP-200 work very well and I don't see any issues for a while to come yet.

I shoot Uspsa,scsa, skeet, trap, long range. Been using various passive in ear and electronic muffs and recently got fitted for Soundgear Phantom at local hearing aid store. 
I can’t imagine going back to anything else other than for quick casual use after using these last few matches. Rechargeable with long lasting batteries, Bluetooth, full function control from your smart phone, excellent sound profiles and noise suppression. And comfortable to wear all day. 
Not cheap but I look at the multiple number of electronic muffs I have and Ive already spent that type of money on less than ideal HP. Best decision I’ve made for HP

https://soundgear.com/collections/custom-fit/products/soundgear-phantom?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs53T_N_X8wIViLLICh3PEA1fEAAYASAAEgIc4PD_BwE

On 10/14/2021 at 11:18 AM, Unregistered said:

I will echo these statements.  I have been using the TEP-100 for a couple of years now.  They work great paired with the foam Skull Screws.  Batteries last a long time and charge quickly.

9 hours ago, bigdawgbeav said:

I will echo these statements.  I have been using the TEP-100 for a couple of years now.  They work great paired with the foam Skull Screws.  Batteries last a long time and charge quickly.

Agree but one mine stopped holding charge, charge it for say an hour and get maybe 20 min before it shuts off, even overnight it shuts off after the same amount of use.