Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Targets in the open, positions of cover, and re-engagement rules

matteekay

1 hour ago, Jim Watson said:

"I guess I'd take the 3 second penalty and run it 4 seconds faster than everyone else."

Early days, there was a variation on this:  "I don't care what the lame silly rules say, I am going to shoot it the way they taught me at ninjaswatoperatorskool and take the penalty.

but in those days I believe I would have been justified in giving a DQ

LOL

5 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Yeah, I try to blend in but it never works. I always assume I've getting at least 1 penalty. 

It's SO WEIRD how I'll be down-zero throughout a stage... but then mike on an easy activator when it benefits my round count to shoot the next tactical priority target(s) first.

Just now, matteekay said:

It's SO WEIRD how I'll be down-zero throughout a stage... but then mike on an easy activator when it benefits my round count to shoot the next tactical priority target(s) first.

I argued with a SO at a club match earlier this year because I told him I was going to miss a activator a head of time. It was a fun debate. Rules say I engaged it, so......

15 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

There is no longer a rule against "round dumping" but I would be more comfortable if you didn't brag about it. 

In the specific example I'm thinking of (Regionals this year), I didn't. 

My squadmates DID ask if I needed to miss it by 12 feet, though, lol.

1 hour ago, Jim Watson said:

There is no longer a rule against "round dumping" but I would be more comfortable if you didn't brag about it. 

Who cares?  It isn't against the rules so anyone who disagrees will have to just stew in silence.

I never ask the SO if I can or cannot do something.  I know the rules better than almost every one of them locally.  I just do what I do and deal with the ignorance later when they try to PE me.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

In both V1 and V2 Targets 1 and 2 are in the open and must be engaged first.  See rules: 3.2.4 If targets are hidden by cover, the targets are engaged as they become visible around the edge of cover (slicing the pie).  3.5.2 When cover is available it must be used, while engaging targets, unless the shooter is “in the open” and must engage targets “in the open.” Shooters may not cross or enter any openings (doorways, open spaces, etc.) without first engaging targets visible from those locations.

Since both targets are not hidden by cover at the start position they are in the open.  They must be engaged prior to crossing to cover.

9 hours ago, Snaked said:

In both V1 and V2 Targets 1 and 2 are in the open and must be engaged first.  See rules: 3.2.4 If targets are hidden by cover, the targets are engaged as they become visible around the edge of cover (slicing the pie).  3.5.2 When cover is available it must be used, while engaging targets, unless the shooter is “in the open” and must engage targets “in the open.” Shooters may not cross or enter any openings (doorways, open spaces, etc.) without first engaging targets visible from those locations.

Since both targets are not hidden by cover at the start position they are in the open.  They must be engaged prior to crossing to cover.

You would think that would be obvious to anyone, but it seems it's not.