Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 Mag issue with extended mags

mpmo

Good afternoon fine CZenos people.  Having a bit of an issue with what I believe are the mags for my shadow 2.  All mags are the factory chrome Metgar.  Half have the CZC +5 baseplates and half have the Hennining +5.  All have Grams springs and followers.  

I only load to 22 (including in practice) unless the stage requires that I load to 23.  Gun has probably 15k rds, is an OR model with full Cajun pro kit.  I recently disassembled every piece (except sear cage,) and cleaned.  It's the only time I've done that.  I do a field strip/clean about every 1,000 rds and lube about every 500.  

This really only happens when I'm shooting a match.  I will have a failure to feed issue towards the end of the stage / end of the magazine.  I have noticed when I am loading my mags, there is sometimes resistance where I don't feel like there should be.  And when I download them after a match, they are way too slow to come out of the mag.  Definitely sticking somewhere.  

About 1,000rds (1,000 rds total on about 8 mags) I took the magazines apart and cleaned them using Hoppe's 9. After I did that, they ran smoothly again until this weekend when they started this same behavior.  I'm using a pretty clean round, CCI primers, N320, 147FP Blues.  

Do the springs wear out?  Or do the followers start to have issues?  The mags have a combined probably 20,000 rds on them.  

Please let me know any thoughts.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, mpmo said:

Do the springs wear out? 

They most certainly do.  Well wear out isn't the exact term but they certainly tend to lose their elasticity over time.  Contrary to popular belief, leaving them compressed isn't what kills springs.  Repetitive cycling does.

1 hour ago, mpmo said:

Or do the followers start to have issues? 

That's possible, but not as likely as springs that are at the end of their serviceable life.

Replace the springs once a year on all your heavily used mags.

If you are getting and using 23 in the mag, the springs are worn and don’t have much force with the last few rounds.

Doesn’t matter how many times, they’ll take a set and that’s where they will be.

change them out, problems should go away.

load 22, and they’ll last longer. Pick a mag for your 23rnd mag and just change it’s spring more frequently.

The OEM springs in the P-10/P-09 magazines are surprisingly durable, and last me several seasons with 22 rounds in them (trimmed OEM orange followers and Henning base pads).

But based on how easily they take a set and lose temper most magazine follower springs I've seen are of low quality

Edited by SGT_Schultz

23 hours ago, Malarky112 said:

Probably a long shot but are you sure you have the correct grams kit? They have two different versions, one for factory CZ metgar mags and one for aftermarket metgar mags

Not a long shot.  It is possible.  I am just going to replace every spring and follower to make sure and see if that solves the problem.  I will set aside one mag to load to 23.  

Side note, they are tougher to load in spots once they get dirty which lead to me to believe that it might be a mag clean issue.  But it could be a combo of dirty mag, wrong follower/spring.

Edited by mpmo

I had a similar issue creeping in on mine at probably 15k rounds between the set of 3 (mecgar tubes, henning +5, grams guts). New springs fixed it. I'd have to dig up a picture, but the used springs were about an inch shorter than the new ones. I don't actually clean the mags other than the brush, but I do be sure to run the brush if they get dirt in them from matches. I've also noticed that I need to keep the feed ramp reasonably clean.

Between those 2 things feeding has been pretty reliable for me. At this point I just make sure to change the springs at the beginning of the season and at some point halfway through. I just choose to not give a s#!t over the winter.

Replaced all the springs today.  I had 2 different kinds of springs in them.  One was more square (pictured on the left) and was in the mags with the CZC extension base plates.  So, I likely got them from CZC at that same time.  Not sure if they are Grams or not.  The ones that were for sure Grams, were over an inch shorter than the new ones. 

New springs were much stiffer and fed a ton better when test loading / unloading rounds by hand.  Thanks for the help!!

IMG_5146.jpeg.8af4e5a5680604b64ab2408335eb2928.jpeg

Edited by mpmo