Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 safety stuck

midatlantic

I have to begin by saying I've fitted more than a dozen 1911 and 2011 safeties, But this is a problem I’ve never encountered before. 

I Was reassembling a 2011 with about 1,000 rounds thru it. Has previously worked flawlessly, and I previously disassembled and reassembled the ignition system, sear, disconnector, safety etc. All with no problem.  This time I reinstall the safety and find while the hammer will go down the safety will not go up. Only moves a little bit back-and-forth. Again, while the hammer moves the safety does not. The safety has previously been removed with no trouble four or five times, so it has previously been fit appropriately. Looking from the bottom of the frame with the grips removed seems like sear is frozen. The disconnector goes up and down, the hammer back and forth, but the sear will not rotate, so safety can’t get removed.

Thoughts anyone? What don’t I know? (I’m sure it’s a lot!)

Particularly on how to get to the safety out!

Edited by midatlantic

You have to lift the TS arm about halfway up with the hammer cocked to get the safety in.  It doesn't make sense that can't you move it that high to remove it?

Forcing the TS out in that condition is very likely to damage it.  I'd see if you can free the sear first by poking around with a small diameter punch.

Edited by zzt

after probing with a small, flat screw driver I managed to rotate the sear so the safety could be removed. Embarassingly, I think while gun was dissembled a tiny bit of loctite dripped inside the frame....which is now scrapped away. Moral, do one job at a time....