Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

UniqueTek powder funnel, I gots questions

I'm loading coated bullets in .38 short colt on my 750 with a Mr bullet feeder.

I was getting some bullets that would tip over, so I bought a UniqueTek powder funnel in .358.

Now I can seat the bullets by hand. No case tension at all.

Doesn't sizing the case down, then opening it back up kinda defeat the purpose?

Am I missing something?

I'm shooting a revolver so I need case tension so I don't get bullet set-back.

Thoughts?

The flare is to aid in setting the bullet into the case.  The Uniquetek unit expands a little deeper to stop the bullet from tipping, you are not expanding all the way down.  When you seat the bullet, the die will remove the flare, resize the expanded portion and add the crimp, if you are using one.

15 hours ago, ysrracer said:

I'm loading coated bullets in .38 short colt on my 750 with a Mr bullet feeder.

I was getting some bullets that would tip over, so I bought a UniqueTek powder funnel in .358.

Now I can seat the bullets by hand. No case tension at all.

Doesn't sizing the case down, then opening it back up kinda defeat the purpose?

Am I missing something?

I'm shooting a revolver so I need case tension so I don't get bullet set-back.

Thoughts?

Go back to the Mr. Bullet Feeder powder funnel.  Start by adjusting the powder funnel, just going deep enough that you get a full stroke of the powder measure, then keep adjusting it down in very small increments until the bullets drop out of the bullet feeder into the flared case far enough that it takes a bit of effort to pull them back out of the case.  Then adjust the powder funnel down just a tiny bit more to prevent shaving the coating.  With just two or three bullets in the bullet feeder, a bullet should drop into the flared case deep enough to require a little effort to pull out of the case.

With a revolver you need to prevent bullet pull out (bullet moving forward) not set-back, the crimp will help with that, but the best method is still good case neck tension and a good crimp.

Nolan

3 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

I found the UniqueTek funnel got rid of a)sticking and b) shaving the odd coated bullet.  I got the one for .358 in a 9mm case.

Yes, what it does is expand the case to .358 about a 1/4 inch down, then flare the very top. Thereby eliminating all case tension on the bullet.

1 hour ago, ysrracer said:

Yes, what it does is expand the case to .358 about a 1/4 inch down, then flare the very top. Thereby eliminating all case tension on the bullet.

Are you sure?  

From my experience of using the MBF/Photo Escape/UniqueTek powder funnels, the very top step expands (.358") the top 1/8" or so of the case for providing a bullet seat.  The first expansion is smaller.......

And RePete's info is right on the money!

The flare is to aid in setting the bullet into the case.  The Uniquetek unit expands a little deeper to stop the bullet from tipping, you are not expanding all the way down.  When you seat the bullet, the die will remove the flare, resize the expanded portion and add the crimp, if you are using one.

:)

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

1 hour ago, ysrracer said:

I guess I could expand the case to .358 about a 1/8 inch down, then not flare the very top?

ys:

To further expand on my post above, attached is an old pic that clearly illustrates the results of the MBF powder funnel creating a "seat" for the bullet at the very top of the case.

Also, I have a few MBF funnels laying around.  I grabbed the one that came with my MBF and measured the two steps.  The lower step that expands the deepest into the brass is .352".  The upper step measures .357".

HTHs

Bayou135-2.png

I don't have the funnel in front of me, but I measured it last night. The widest part is .358, so is my bullet.

I grabbed this off their website. See the flat part between the red lines. That is as wide as my bullet

Screenshot_20211010-175234.png

Edited by ysrracer

9 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

Back to the original post, I crimp the living £##£ out of the finished case.  I do leave an indent with the FCD but 50k+ rounds made and zero issues.

Agreed, I also crimp the crap out of them. And yes, I get the idea of flaring the case mouth.

But the expander is so long, to get a flare I have to run it all the way down.

Edited by ysrracer

3 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

I don't have the funnel in front of me, but I measured it last night. The widest part is .358, so is my bullet.

I grabbed this off their website. See the flat part between the red lines. That as wide as my bullet

ys:

I NOW SEE you are using the HTC funnel which I am not familiar with at all..........

https://www.photoescapeinc.com/products/9htc-ptu.html

My above references was to the standard MBF powder funnel that has this conventional shape:

MBF 9mm Funnel Steps.png

I use the photoescapeinc htc .358 funnel for coated bullets sized to .358 in .357magnum and haven't had any issues. I crimp the same as I do for 9, 40 and 45, only to remove the flare.  

If you're extra worried, make sure the bullets you're loading are actually sized to .358 and the brass is only being expanded to .358.  Beyond that you can load bullets with a crimp groove and go to town, but I've never been a fan of that route.

I bought one about 6 months ago and I just couldn’t get it to work. Contacted uniqetek and they sad to try this and that. Just couldn’t get it to work. I put the mr bullet feeder funnel back in and I’m good to go. 

23 minutes ago, N7VY said:

I bought one about 6 months ago and I just couldn’t get it to work. Contacted uniqetek and they sad to try this and that. Just couldn’t get it to work. I put the mr bullet feeder funnel back in and I’m good to go. 

Yep, it's a good idea, but it just didn't work for me.