Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nroi October question of the month

RJH

https://nroi.org/

If I got the link right, hopefully here's the nroi October question of the month. At this point only slightly more are wrong than are right. When I voted it was 49% right and 51% wrong, or something real close to that.

Edited by RJH

this is one of those things where we are supposed to be wrong, because NROI's interpretation of the rule was bizarrely incorrect. But as long as we are all wrong together, it's fine with me.  I just write 'both feet completely outside the shooting area' if that's what I want. Consistency is far more important than the actual meaning of words in english.

fwiw, i use the same logic when I go to the store without pants on. I just tell them I'm not completely naked, so therefore I must be dressed. Duh. There are no other options.

Edited by motosapiens

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

this is one of those things where we are supposed to be wrong, because NROI's interpretation of the rule was bizarrely incorrect. But as long as we are all wrong together, it's fine with me.  I just write 'both feet completely outside the shooting area' if that's what I want. Consistency is far more important than the actual meaning of words in english.

fwiw, i use the same logic when I go to the store without pants on. I just tell them I'm not completely naked, so therefore I must be dressed. Duh. There are no other options.

Completely agree, and the problem with that interpretation is half of the matches don't know it. So you show up try to shoot within the rules, and then have a big pain in the ass argument over whether you can straddle the line or not. I know matches that don't know the rules should, but when you get a squirrely interpretation it makes it hard to know the rules always

Bonus question for NROI then-- does the pic qualify for "completely outside"??  or not.  If not, why not?

It would be really simple if the answer were based on 'Are you faulting a line?', but that seems hard to grasp.

I am actually more surprised to get them right lately. I got this one right but I've been wrong on almost every other one.  Fortunately they usually present obscure situations that aren't common.  I strive to be as fair as possible but apparently when it comes to difficult rule situations, I am not so good.

On 10/9/2021 at 6:56 PM, terrydoc said:

Easiest fix is to write as demonstrated and then have the RO demonstrate what the position is. And make sure all RO's use the same demonstration.

Then you have to have a 40 minute RO walkthrough before every match like in IDPA where everyone argues about everything on every stage because the rules there aren't well defined enough to just have a short WSB. 

33 minutes ago, twodownzero said:

I am actually more surprised to get them right lately. I got this one right but I've been wrong on almost every other one. 

After I took the r.o. training hq went the opposite way with a couple questions I had asked than my instructor did, and when we reviewed the discrepancy he explained to me that those of us on the bottom of the food chain need to follow the written text but what hq says goes. I've also witnessed a rather long discussion regarding number of procedurals between the president/Troy/the RM where it seemed things were unclear enough even to those folks to allow various interpretations.

Where I have gotten to over time is that there is right according to the text and then there is right according to the question right ups and only sometimes do both agree.  In fairness some of this has gotten cleaned up over time. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

If the WSB states ‘Outside the shooting area’ then if the shooter is ‘Inside the shooting area’ they should not be started.

If ‘one foot out and one foot in’ is considered ‘outside the shooting area’, the conversely ‘one foot in and one foot out’ is considered ‘inside the shooting area’.  (Note, we are not discussing faulting the line, just the definition of ‘inside’ and ‘outside’.)

So, logically speaking, by the standards of NROI, a shooter straddling the fault line is both inside and outside the shooting area.  

This is very similar to another ruling of a wall being impenetrable to bullets, but not to fingers.

LMAO.  facing Down range used to be the exact opposite of uprange, both logical, both well defined, then downrange was "opened up" to allow almost 180 degrees to look at, but uprange is still the same definition it has been.

Walls are impenetrable but i can look through them and aim my gun through that impenetrable barrier.

I started for you...