Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reliability of Aftermarket Reduced Power Trigger Return Spring

hlsccsfa

Speak from my own experience, cgw reduced power trigger return spring + 11.5# main spring result in a 5lb 12oz DA pull in a brand new Shadow 2. which is pretty good. Now my questions is: how long does these after market trigger return spring last. 

I know for a fact that CZ had to come up with an upgraded version of their standard trigger return spring for Shadow 2 (in dark bronze color) to improve reliability and they made sure that these last at least 50,000 DA pulls. Just wondering

10 minutes ago, hlsccsfa said:

Speak from my own experience, cgw reduced power trigger return spring + 11.5# main spring result in a 5lb 12oz DA pull in a brand new Shadow 2. which is pretty good. Now my questions is: how long does these after market trigger return spring last. 

I know for a fact that CZ had to come up with an upgraded version of their standard trigger return spring for Shadow 2 (in dark bronze color) to improve reliability and they made sure that these last at least 50,000 DA pulls. Just wondering

I can't put a number on it, but less than a year. I dryfire a decent amount. 

Speaking from experience when my Cajun TRS broke at a club match, it was right up there with @Racinready300ex at a little over a year, but I offer this: Consider replacing it before a major match (get a few rounds in though), or as part of a routine consumable part like in a oil and oil filter change for a car.

Just my thought, but I grew tired of a mushy trigger, so I went back to the stock TRS. 

8 minutes ago, melbigson said:

Less than a year for the factory CZ or the CGW? I just ordered the CGW one last night. Believe they said theirs are supposed to last longer. 

CGW spring. My first spring died in like 600 rounds. But I found a little piece of gravel in the gun that time. Second one was less than a year. I'd say either stay with CZ or plan to replace them a couple times a year just to be safe. If you don't dry fire I imagine they'll last a while. 

When I dry fire I only pull through the DA for the first shot if that matters. I tend to DF twice a day 5 days a week for about 7 months out of the year. If that's helpful at all.

3 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

CGW spring. My first spring died in like 600 rounds. But I found a little piece of gravel in the gun that time. Second one was less than a year. I'd say either stay with CZ or plan to replace them a couple times a year just to be safe. If you don't dry fire I imagine they'll last a while. 

When I dry fire I only pull through the DA for the first shot if that matters. I tend to DF twice a day 5 days a week for about 7 months out of the year. If that's helpful at all.

I tend to dry fire any time these zoom meetings get boring. Turn the camera off, aim at my little orange sticker on the wall, and click away. This happens a lot.

4 hours ago, SouperMan said:

Speaking from experience when my Cajun TRS broke at a club match, it was right up there with @Racinready300ex at a little over a year, but I offer this: Consider replacing it before a major match (get a few rounds in though), or as part of a routine consumable part like in a oil and oil filter change for a car.

Just my thought, but I grew tired of a mushy trigger, so I went back to the stock TRS. 

Dang now I'm real curious to see how this CGW TRS is going to feel. 

7 hours ago, melbigson said:

I tend to dry fire any time these zoom meetings get boring. Turn the camera off, aim at my little orange sticker on the wall, and click away. This happens a lot.

Dang now I'm real curious to see how this CGW TRS is going to feel. 

The TRS is responsible for some of the resistance you feel when you pull the trigger back (Hammer Spring + Trigger Return Spring). It is also responsible for pushing the trigger back into position (TRS + to a certain extent the Trigger Bar Return Spring). 

The only way I can describe it is the crispness of the trigger through its whole pull. A trigger can feel too soft, but this boils down to personal preference. Before, I was chasing the lightest trigger possible, and this required the use of Federal primers. I started tuning for Winchester/CCI, and while increasing the hammer spring weight I really enjoyed the heavier trigger pull (went from like 5-6# to like 7-8#) and it was something that I could live with.

8 hours ago, SouperMan said:

The TRS is responsible for some of the resistance you feel when you pull the trigger back (Hammer Spring + Trigger Return Spring). It is also responsible for pushing the trigger back into position (TRS + to a certain extent the Trigger Bar Return Spring). 

The only way I can describe it is the crispness of the trigger through its whole pull. A trigger can feel too soft, but this boils down to personal preference. Before, I was chasing the lightest trigger possible, and this required the use of Federal primers. I started tuning for Winchester/CCI, and while increasing the hammer spring weight I really enjoyed the heavier trigger pull (went from like 5-6# to like 7-8#) and it was something that I could live with.

I can imagine how a lighter TRS weight would lead to the trigger feeling not as crisp, especially on the return now that I'm picturing it. Now I'm eager to try for myself, thank you!

I always put a drop of oil on the trs before dryfire. David at CGW mentioned one time that the DA pull during dryfire builds up heat in the spring and leads to premature failure. I've used the CGW springs for years and have never had a failure. 

On 10/8/2021 at 11:46 PM, SouperMan said:

Ok Mr SouperMan, if you are ever in San Diego I owe you a bowl of soup because I'll be damned if you weren't spot on. After trying the reduced power TRS and immediately feeling it was soggy, my factory TRS is back on and that trigger feels much better!

Anybody want a free reduced power TRS? LOL. 

38 minutes ago, Tunachaser said:

Have used Cajun TRS in my SP-01 and BS both are competition guns, never had one break.  I do put slide glide on the pin and spring.

I do the same thing idk if it helps or not but either way I'm probably gonna just replace mine before next season anyway