Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unionnakita

I've reloaded for ~8yr with minor problems here & there like everyone. But I recently bought a loose bag of 118 rounds at a local gun store to reload for my 9mm's. The bag only said "118 .356". They are flat nose copper coated I believe. I didn't think twice & loaded 2 up tonight. Was plunk testing them & they wouldn't fit any of my 9mm. They would go 3/4 in & no further. Now I have a box of 1000 147g .356 9mm sitting on my table (from midway) so I didn't think the .356 was any issue. I took a single bullet & sat it in the muzzle end & it was obvious they would not fit my barrels. Measured with my calipers & sure enough .3564

Did I buy bullets for 357 sig, 357 mag, 38 spl?  I ask bc I checked the bullets in some empty cases of all 3 of those calibers & it did fit..

The shape of the FP really makes a huge difference when loading for 9mm I shoot coated FPs for practice and matches and haven't had any problems through my CZ SP01 I can actually load them longer than RN in most cases FP @ 1.13 compared to RN at 1.10 sized at .356 and a projectile sized at .3564 should still shoot through your gun it just may or may not cause excessive leading unless you have a very tight chamber or barrel then I could maybe see them not plunking more than likely it's an OAL issue but if you have been loading for 8yrs I feel like you would know if you had an undersized barrel or chamber more than likely an issue with the projectiles 

2 hours ago, Lightj75 said:

The shape of the FP really makes a huge difference when loading for 9mm I shoot coated FPs for practice and matches and haven't had any problems through my CZ SP01 I can actually load them longer than RN in most cases FP @ 1.13 compared to RN at 1.10 sized at .356 and a projectile sized at .3564 should still shoot through your gun it just may or may not cause excessive leading unless you have a very tight chamber or barrel then I could maybe see them not plunking more than likely it's an OAL issue but if you have been loading for 8yrs I feel like you would know if you had an undersized barrel or chamber more than likely an issue with the projectiles 

I have the opposite experience with FP's vs RN's in my Apex Tactical barrels.  (ACME Bullets)  I have to load the FP's shorter.   

10 hours ago, OnePivot said:

Flat points work poorly in many 9mm guns because they need to be unreasonably short. It's a better 357sig bullet. 

It's not the diameter. 

29 minutes ago, NETim said:

I have the opposite experience with FP's vs RN's in my Apex Tactical barrels.  (ACME Bullets)  I have to load the FP's shorter.   

I think ogive effects might be being confused with rn versus fp, that is assuming that truncated cone is being considered to be flat point. 9mm 1.15 long 147 sns has worked for me in a variety of guns (CZ, Tanfo, 1911, XDS, XDM, Glock) - loaded shorter I have had ftf issues with CZ's and I think I might have 1 Tanfo I need to load shorter for.

ogive.gif

Edited by IHAVEGAS

35 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I think ogive effects might be being confused with rn versus fp, that is assuming that truncated cone is being considered to be flat point. 9mm 1.15 long 147 sns has worked for me in a variety of guns (CZ, Tanfo, 1911, XDS, XDM, Glock) - loaded shorter I have had ftf issues with CZ's and I think I might have 1 Tanfo I need to load shorter for.

ogive.gif

I just tossed out my experience as an attempt to point out there are no hard and fast rules concerning bullet profile and COAL.   :)

When I switch bullet profiles (for my autos) I generally make a dummy cartridge. I seat the bullet and go shorter about 1/8 turn at a time till it chambers like I want it too. I save the dummies for next time / if I ever use that profile again later.

Very quick to adjust later. 

My 6" 9mm has a very short throat so I load everything to that spec.

1 hour ago, superdude said:

Different bullet shapes require different overall lengths to fit in the chamber.  

image.png.3db24e1cc944694b109d89cd483673eb.png

The diameter is fine, and is typical of lead or plated 9mm bullets.

9_147_FP_NLG_Live__15442.1475602404.1280

That is the 147 that works for me, eyeballing it , it appears that the point at which diameter starts tapering down is closer to the base than the nose. For what it is worth. 

15 hours ago, Unionnakita said:

I did load to 1.09 as prescribed. I also went down to 1.05 just to see. Neither worked so I ultimately pulled them.

The book length is not a prescription, it's a minimum.  Never load below that length.

The "book" over all length . Is only for reference. It is the OAL that the lab used to test. It is not a min or max length.

Just for reference . Have loaded Hap Bullets to 1.000 . Had them "tested" for psi. No were near SAMI max psi. 

Edited by AHI