Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setscrews on comp

gnappi

I have a threaded .357 Sig barrel for my 5" M&P and got a steel comp got it. It's effect is remarkable. Follow up shots are faster now. Due to the comp weight, porting or both? Dunno, don't care it works pretty good. 

The comp is slab sided so I had  to drill and tap the sides for setscrews to index it correctly. I've ordered some brass Allen setscrews (First time ever Ace hardware did not have what I needed) and I'm wondering if anyone has tried using a piece of lead shotgun shot in the hole to keep from buggering up the threads on the barrel with the setscrew?  Or will the brass setscrews be sufficient?

Other ideas? Aluminum ? Here's the  comp before tapping the holes.

PS, I thought about heat and the lead shot but I don't think the bbl will get that hot?

S&W_M&P_20_2.jpg

Edited by gnappi

I am wondering if that comp isn't 90-degrees off....  I have never seen a comp with ports on the bottom.  They usually don't have those because it'd contribute to more muzzle rise and would kick up a heckuva dust cloud when shooting from prone.

I have seen comps that only ported out of the sides; that's why I guessed "90-degrees off".....

Any of the setscrew ideas that you presented would work, but I've gotten to where I just glue them on.  Loctite 271 usually works well.  I use 640 Sleeve & Bearing Retainer.  About the only commonly-used flavor that wouldn't work is blue Loctite.

Actually, UR both right, it's a modified "tanker" style and it's profile would interfere with the front sight as it is in the pic. I took the pic with the crush washer on after I tested it before  drilling and tapping.

Edited by gnappi

you can get soft ended setscrews from mc master carr, they have brass tips on them. another way to to drill through the threads to form a pocket the screw sets in them run a tap through it to clear the threads, then chase the barrel threads in the lathe (or use a thread file)  thats what I usually do, it will lock it solid in one position and you can locktite the screw  they also sell shim packs to index the comps as well

Edited by Sinister4

1 hour ago, Sinister4 said:

you can get soft ended setscrews from mc master carr, they have brass tips on them. another way to to drill through the threads to form a pocket the screw sets in them run a tap through it to clear the threads, then chase the barrel threads in the lathe (or use a thread file)  thats what I usually do, it will lock it solid in one position and you can locktite the screw  they also sell shim packs to index the comps as well

If you mean drill the threads on the barrel OD to form a pocket, I like that idea! Afterward I'd simply have to run my 1/2-28 die over the barrel threads to clean them up and locktite the brass setscrews in place. 

Thanks for the idea!

Drilling a drill point in the threads is the way to go. I would go with steel setscrews so the hex doesn't wallow out. Brass is very soft. When you make a drill point for the end of the setscrew, it won't mess up the threads. You do need to Loctite the setscrew(s). Also, it will always go back on to the same position every time if you take it off for any reason.

the solution that is the easiest is to just loctite the comp to the barrel threads. Yes you will have to clean the barrel with it still in the slide but thats not big deal it really isn't even a small deal. 

clean everything super well with solvent get it dry and perfectly clean, apply the loctite screw it on till its where you want it and let it sit over night. use red or better yet green loctite and you will be set for a long time 

4 hours ago, gnappi said:

If you mean drill the threads on the barrel OD to form a pocket, I like that idea! Afterward I'd simply have to run my 1/2-28 die over the barrel threads to clean them up and locktite the brass setscrews in place. 

Thanks for the idea!

the brass setscrew is likely a bad idea and you will end up stripping its socket and having to drill it out.