Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reliable open guns

UpYoursPal

Aren't they just the best?  In the last five months I've had exactly one malfunction with my open gun - a Phoenix Trinity Honcho - which was caused by a light primer strike.  I've been cleaning my magazines fairly often, the gun gets cleaned and lubed before every match, and I case gauge all of my ammo to ensure that it'll chamber.  I've seen more malfunctions from GLOCKS this year than from my gun, and it's really amazing to finally be able to trust my gear 100%

Sure, it takes more effort to keep it running than it would, say, a Sig or a CZ.  However, I like this gun more than I like any of my other guns so it's really nice to have it running perfectly.

1 hour ago, UpYoursPal said:

Aren't they just the best?  In the last five months I've had exactly one malfunction with my open gun - a Phoenix Trinity Honcho - which was caused by a light primer strike.  I've been cleaning my magazines fairly often, the gun gets cleaned and lubed before every match, and I case gauge all of my ammo to ensure that it'll chamber.  I've seen more malfunctions from GLOCKS this year than from my gun, and it's really amazing to finally be able to trust my gear 100%

Sure, it takes more effort to keep it running than it would, say, a Sig or a CZ.  However, I like this gun more than I like any of my other guns so it's really nice to have it running perfectly.

/sarc mode on/

Ok, two things:

First, you can’t really blame the light strike on your open gun. Generally speaking, it was more likely an ammo issue where the primer wasn’t fully seated. How dare you blame your new open gun for something that was clearly not it’s fault. Who loaded that ammo?

Second, if you really trusted your gun 100% you wouldn’t have to clean it before every match. :)

Personally, I trust my Glock 100% and only clean it every other year or so. 

But, for many people, cleaning their gun is something they really enjoy doing, and it relaxes them and brings them inner peace. I am definitely NOT one of those people. 

I agree, there’s nothing like having confidence in your gear going into a match. My problem isn’t my gear, it’s me I lack confidence in. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Still newish to Open, but not new to this game. Good ammo and clean gear is really the solution to 99% of gun problems. I haven't noticed any particular fussiness from my open guns than any of the others. 

Given the number of rounds an average USPSA shooter shoots in a year, it's amazing how few true GUN problems we see.