Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CF revolver for SC

Squirrel45

1 hour ago, Dr. Phil said:

I have found (for me) that the TRR8 is too light in mass for Steel Challenge. I tend to over swing on the closer/faster targets. My times were worse with the lighter gun. Too many make up shots. For USPSA it was great. I got a 929 and never looked back. The extra mass doesn't seem to slow me down and the end result is less make ups. the mass helps with the longer shots and does mitigate recoil (muzzle rise) a bit. 

I wonder at what level of performance the average shooter can really start to blame their times, etc on the few extra or fewer ounces of weight?

And there is always the aforementioned trip to TK for lightening.

I made A with a 7 shot 686 Plus. I was always surprised when I stripped my moon clips how many were empty. That is much more rare with the 8 shot.

I also use dedicated brass for mine. no range pick ups.

YMMV

Just got my 929 back from TK Custom. They lightened it and blueprinted the action. Work is first class. Took about 6 to 7 oz off the total weight and for me, it now balances better. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, revolver45 said:

Just got my 929 back from TK Custom. They lightened it and blueprinted the action. Work is first class. Took about 6 to 7 oz off the total weight and for me, it now balances better. 

I would love to try that gun now!

Except then I would be off on yet another quest!!!

28 minutes ago, revolver45 said:

I bet that shoots really, really nice. What was the turnaround time like?

3 minutes ago, matteekay said:

That's... amazing. BRB, selling a kidney.

I shot the ICORE CHAMPIONSHIP in Louisiana is September.  I met Tom from TK there. We made the deal to have the work done and after the match, he took the gun back to his shop with him. I got it in the mail last week. It was nice to do business with him and his company. They kept their end of the deal and the work is first rate. I will be extending him more to do in the near future.  

1 minute ago, revolver45 said:

I shot the ICORE CHAMPIONSHIP in Louisiana is September.  I met Tom from TK there. We made the deal to have the work done and after the match, he took the gun back to his shop with him. I got it in the mail last week. It was nice to do business with him and his company. They kept their end of the deal and the work is first rate. I will be extending him more to do in the near future.  

My gunsmith had already installed all TKC parts in the gun, including his new recoil spring conversion kit. They blueprinted the action and lightened the barrel. While I do have a lot of $$ tied up in the gun, to me, it's worth it. 

23 hours ago, matteekay said:

Having said that, it's probably a little cheaper to buy 1k of Starline 9mm than .38SC. I've done both but it's been a while since I've had to re-stock (the joy of Starline and your mooned brass always coming home with you :D ).

Who can get by with only 1000 cases.  That's three matches plus a little practice.  So shoot two matches with a little practice and set the press up to reload just 700 cases.  No thank you.  I load 45 and 40 in very large batches so I can leave the press set up for 9mm.  Since I have four different 9mm loads and they all require readjustments, I load them in large batches as well.  The smallest would be 2k for PCC, because I don't shoot that very often. 

I buy same head stamp (six to choose from) once fired 9mm fully processed (including primer pocket swaging and roll sizing) for $150/3000 including tax and shipping.  I have about 10k left and about 3-4k range pickup that I use only for minor loads.  That doesn't count what is already loaded.

So I spend $150 for 3k quality cases for less than you pay for 1k Starline.  It doesn't make any sense.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

I buy same head stamp (six to choose from) once fired 9mm fully processed (including primer pocket swaging and roll sizing) for $150/3000 including tax and shipping.  I have about 10k left and about 3-4k range pickup that I use only for minor loads.  That doesn't count what is already loaded.

So I spend $150 for 3k quality cases for less than you pay for 1k Starline.  It doesn't make any sense.

What headstamps does your 929 like?

(also, who said anything about only having 1000 cases?)

Early on I went to federal cases. I have .036, .040 and Rimz (for practice) clips. All work fine in all my loads.

I agree about the greatness of getting all your empties back.

Not so with the auto.

1 hour ago, AzShooter said:

Mine likes Winchester cases the best.  Starline gave me lots of problems.  YMMV.

That's what I've found with the local ICORE club - everyone's 929 likes a different flavor of headstamp.

I run a 627 PC for ISR and an R8 for OSR.  I've not noticed any excessive wear on the R8 over 2 years. 8 shots is a plus.   I've never thought about the weight difference, though I seem to shoot the guns about the same.  ALL of my dry fire is with the irons, and I never practice the dot til match day, so maybe the combo of the lighter weight and the dot do help some..   I'm about to begin experimenting with 125 grain bullets in 38 specials to see if a touch more velocity makes a difference.  I've been running 158's @850 fps.  I've learned that me and super light louds don't get along, as I get lazy on grip and transitions.   My opinion, a tuned 627, R8, 929, or Super GP 100 (9 or 38)  you enjoy shooting and are willing to practice and dry fire with will serve you well.  Pick the 8 shot blaster(s) that suit you , tune 'em up and roll on!

Good luck!

Jason

53 minutes ago, Makicjf said:

I run a 627 PC for ISR and an R8 for OSR.  I've not noticed any excessive wear on the R8 over 2 years. 8 shots is a plus.   I've never thought about the weight difference, though I seem to shoot the guns about the same.  ALL of my dry fire is with the irons, and I never practice the dot til match day, so maybe the combo of the lighter weight and the dot do help some..   I'm about to begin experimenting with 125 grain bullets in 38 specials to see if a touch more velocity makes a difference.  I've been running 158's @850 fps.  I've learned that me and super light louds don't get along, as I get lazy on grip and transitions.   My opinion, a tuned 627, R8, 929, or Super GP 100 (9 or 38)  you enjoy shooting and are willing to practice and dry fire with will serve you well.  Pick the 8 shot blaster(s) that suit you , tune 'em up and roll on!

Good luck!

Jason

Well said Jason :) 

On 10/5/2021 at 3:39 PM, matteekay said:

Respectfully, I don't know a single person with a 929 who runs mixed brass. It probably matters less for SC since you don't have to reload on the clock but the 929 platform is known to be picky about brass/powder/moon combinations. Having said that, it's probably a little cheaper to buy 1k of Starline 9mm than .38SC. I've done both but it's been a while since I've had to re-stock (the joy of Starline and your mooned brass always coming home with you :D ).

Um.  **raises hand sheepishly**

I use the same random picked-up-off-the-range brass for my 929 that I use for my Production, CO, and SS guns.

It all works fine for me so far.  (Though my gunsmith, when fixing the trigger, DID go through and detail-check-and-true the cylinder, the forcing cone, and pretty much everything else because it irks him to see guns not be perfect.) 

I use Blue Bullets, Winchester small pistol primers (or magnum versions if I'm out of regular small pistol), CFE pistol powder, and whatever random range brass I've recently thrown into the tumbler.   They've gone bang with no issues.

I have also borrowed a second 929 from a friend (which is how I got started on revos in the first place before I bought my own) that my gunsmith also worked on, and it too feeds the above ammo recipe. 

So...929s CAN be made to run whatever.  :)

1 hour ago, Thomas H said:

Um.  **raises hand sheepishly**

I use the same random picked-up-off-the-range brass for my 929 that I use for my Production, CO, and SS guns.

It all works fine for me so far.  (Though my gunsmith, when fixing the trigger, DID go through and detail-check-and-true the cylinder, the forcing cone, and pretty much everything else because it irks him to see guns not be perfect.) 

I use Blue Bullets, Winchester small pistol primers (or magnum versions if I'm out of regular small pistol), CFE pistol powder, and whatever random range brass I've recently thrown into the tumbler.   They've gone bang with no issues.

I have also borrowed a second 929 from a friend (which is how I got started on revos in the first place before I bought my own) that my gunsmith also worked on, and it too feeds the above ammo recipe. 

So...929s CAN be made to run whatever.  :)

Well... now I know a single person who runs mixed brass!

What's your trigger pull weight? I can use Winchester SPP's in some of my revos but the really tuned ones will occasionally have light strikes.

4 hours ago, matteekay said:

Now you know 2, I run mixed hs 9mm brass in my 929, and I can use Win sp primers with my trigger at 6 1/2 lbs,  What I have found in the 9 mm brass is there is no bulge in the brass it's usually fine. Now some have looser extraction grooves than others and still be in sammi specs and I don't use them. If the brass fits my moonclips, and will shoot and extract with no issues, I keep all of this "approved" revolver brass separate from the rest and use it only in my wheelguns and it's mixed hs. From all of the issues that I have seen with extraction seems to be from brass that has been fired in unsupported chambers that most refer to as having a "glock" bulge.

7 hours ago, matteekay said:

What's your trigger pull weight? I can use Winchester SPP's in some of my revos but the really tuned ones will occasionally have light strikes.

Now you know 2 - I run both 9mm Mixed brass through my 929 and .38 Short Colt. The 9mm rounds are the same that I use in my CZ Shadows with FSP or WSP primers. I have not had any extra work done to the cylinder or cone. I did change out the hammer, trigger, firing pin, cylinder release and springs for the competition variety. The 38 Short Colts I only shoot in revolvers with a 160 grain bullet (Bayou). I currently use FMSP in those but only because I bought some and I didn't have anywhere better to use them! The 38 SC require different moons and do eject a little easier - which is why I like them. once you've used them in the 929 though they expand to fit the 9mm chamber so you either have to roll size them or only use them in the 929. 

On 10/4/2021 at 2:37 AM, revolver45 said:

Because reloads are not in play in SC, the 38 Special offers a lot more choices, and are more accurate. Short Colts are limited on loading information and they create more bullet jump into the forcing cone due to their shorter length. 

I find that interesting.  Reload manuals list data for the original Short Colt; it is rather anemic (and perhaps nice for Steel Challenge).  And there is a LOT of data right here in this forum for the higher PF run 'n' gun games.  

Accuracy?  I've never had nor heard of a complaint about Short Colt accuracy in Steel Challenge, USPSA, or ICORE.  My M627 runs just fine.  

Also, someone mentioned the cost of purchasing Starline Short Colt brass versus picking up 38 Special or 9mm range brass.  Funny.  They'll spend pretty big bucks on the revolver but hate to buy good quality brass that will last a very, VERY long time (and you virtually never lose any of it).  

Edited by varminter22

4 hours ago, varminter22 said:

I find that interesting.  Reload manuals list data for the original Short Colt; it is rather anemic (and perhaps nice for Steel Challenge).  And there is a LOT of data right here in this forum for the higher PF run 'n' gun games.  

Accuracy?  I've never had nor heard of a complaint about Short Colt accuracy in Steel Challenge, USPSA, or ICORE.  My M627 runs just fine.  

Also, someone mentioned the cost of purchasing Starline Short Colt brass versus picking up 38 Special or 9mm range brass.  Funny.  They'll spend pretty big bucks on the revolver but hate to buy good quality brass that will last a very, VERY long time (and you virtually never lose any of it).  

Then I guess you're a fan of the 38 Short Colt. Some of us are not. 

On 10/6/2021 at 12:01 PM, matteekay said:

But you still have to control and manipulate the gun, and that's where mass comes into play. Otherwise, everyone would have 10-shot X-Frames by now :D .

10-shot Scandium X-Frame with 38SC/9mm titanium cylinder could be close to a 627/929 weight, no ? while we're discussing in the vicinity of 627s, 327s. :)