Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Grips for common 9mm magazines?

blacklotus

I'm looking at getting into the 2011 game and looking at the $$$ doublestack 9mm mags and all the tuning and tweaking required.

i was just wondering since the 2011 grips can be easily changed, is there a reason why there aren't grips that will work with Beretta, CZ, sig, or heck even glock mags?

To me it would simply be an issue of mag catch and maybe slide release/mag follower? Is there a technical reason why this hasn't been done?

The advantages would be plentiful availability of inexpensive, reliable mags.

Also the 2011 grip is much larger than it needs to be to handle doublestack .45 so a smaller grip size would be possible with dedicated 9mm grip.

The only reason i'm thinking MIGHT be because the top of standard doublestack mags.

It seems like the 2011 style has about 1/2" of single stack at the top, is this to clear the trigger bar?

What am i missing here? $100+++ per mag just seems ridiculous for something that can be lost or damaged.

image.png.83ecb55b956463189e1e65782a114188.png

Edited by blacklotus

It’s shiny at the top to mimic a single stack 1911 mag to preserve the geometry for feeding rounds. You will not be able to get the position and angle with other mags without redesigning the receiver. 

if you want a 2012 with cz mags just get a dan wesson dwx. Not sure if any of them have shipped yet, but they are solving that particular problem.  

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, corny said:

MBX mags if you are shooting a 2011, if you don't shoot MBX.....you will very soon.  They are worth every penny.  

You can't beat them.  

Meh, I have a full set and they were great and ran perfect all season. But I also have a full set of original style STI mags with Hardy spacers that are just as good. If you keep 2011 mags clean and properly tuned they will run

14 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Meh, I have a full set and they were great and ran perfect all season. But I also have a full set of original style STI mags with Hardy spacers that are just as good. If you keep 2011 mags clean and properly tuned they will run

I couple reasons I shoot MBX, reliable, drop free, 170mm i can load 29 in the mag.  The STI mags I used to run needed to be tuned right out of the box, drop free was sketchy. BUT...I shoot with guys who's STI mags work great.  Mine did not, then again I dumped the piece of junk STI after it suffered two broken slides and cracked comps.  There is a reason STI does not build competition guns anymore.  My Venom Customs open gun runs flawless and has twice the rounds down the pipe as my STI did.  BTW...I shoot about 1000 to 1500 rounds a week

I went with MBX mags after I got my D2 Customs gun thus last season. My STI gen 2 mags wouldn't work with a crap in that gun. Not sure why. Bought one MBX in 9mm and in 40 and they worked 100%. Did the proper break in that MBX says to do and haven't looked back. Bought a bunch more and just chalked it up to being part of the 2011 life. 

18 hours ago, Balakay said:

Dammmm!

you should be better. LOL

I know.......I have tons of fun.  Don't really care about classifiers or winning.  I love the sport and the people who I shoot with

If you want a doublestack 1911ish pistol with better mags, go with the Wilson Combat EDC line or Experior.  They are not cheap, but they absolutely run and will feed empty brass like loaded rounds.

I'm not impressed with MBX mags for the cost.  The ones that came with my Atlas guns don't run, while my stock STI mags ($60) run like a top, as do my new AGW mags.  Point is there are options.  I think the stock STI mags are far better than a decade ago.  Of course I'm not trying to get extra rounds in them either.

I have wondered the same myself , the size of a 2011 grip could be reduced by using a magazine that was designed for a 9mm pistol or a .40 pistol. New trigger would also be needed to match the width.

Years ago there was a smith out in I think Ca. that modified a single stack 1911 to use Smith M39 mags.

Just a matter of time and money , no idea if it would pay for itself.

15 hours ago, P Taylor said:

I have wondered the same myself , the size of a 2011 grip could be reduced by using a magazine that was designed for a 9mm pistol or a .40 pistol. New trigger would also be needed to match the width.

Years ago there was a smith out in I think Ca. that modified a single stack 1911 to use Smith M39 mags.

Just a matter of time and money , no idea if it would pay for itself.

The Caspian HiCap frame does that, it use slightly modified 9mm CZ magazines.  Unfortunately that magazine design has the base pad retaining lips turned inward rather than outwards like the 2011 magazines, making them unsuitable for increasing capacity by extending the base pad.  For a long time 170mm magazines had to be made by cutting and welding 2 magazines together.  I think it was Mecgar that finally started making 170 CZ tubes, but they were pretty hit or miss.  I haven't kept up on who is making 170 mags for the CZ/Tanfo/Caspian guns... since I retired my Caspian Open gun 20+ years ago.

Nolan

3 hours ago, Nolan said:

The Caspian HiCap frame does that, it use slightly modified 9mm CZ magazines.  Unfortunately that magazine design has the base pad retaining lips turned inward rather than outwards like the 2011 magazines, making them unsuitable for increasing capacity by extending the base pad.  For a long time 170mm magazines had to be made by cutting and welding 2 magazines together.  I think it was Mecgar that finally started making 170 CZ tubes, but they were pretty hit or miss.  I haven't kept up on who is making 170 mags for the CZ/Tanfo/Caspian guns... since I retired my Caspian Open gun 20+ years ago.

Nolan

I think mbx makes Caspian 170s from time to time... I wasn't able to get the one I have to work in my gun (the weldups you eluded to worked fine) but its a high quality mag like all the mbx stuff and just needs some fiddling which I haven't had the time or inclination to do so far.