Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some ideas for 3 gun rebuild

Dchi

My state of the art 3 gun rifle from 6 years ago isnt so state of the art now. Cant say that it has held me back any but it needs a new barrel and muzzle brake due to wear and damage. My rifle is 18" w rifle length gas, JP 2 port brake, adj gas, JP low mass bcg, ace stock, tac com buffer, carbon fiber tube from that era with a PST gen II 1x6. I would like to get a WOA 18" but hear 18" is old school and they are 4-5 months back order anyways. I know i want something about 2lbs or less, rifle length gas and doesn't lose much if any accuracy when it gets hot. Cost $300 or less, 1 moa with match ammo 2 moa with m193 ball is the goal. No need for a .5 moa barrel just consistant and not too picky. My match ammo changes often because of cost and availability. My round count for a rifle stage are about 40 or so with targets out to 450 yards. 10-12" plates at 300 not unsual for the long range stage.

Does anyone make a slim diameter 15" carbon fiber rail? Mine is large like the old dpms/clark style. Doesnt get hot but i cant get a firm grip on it. The mid west/bcm rails get too hot too fast for me and i dont want wear gloves. Lastly I think a 3 or 4 port brake would be better than the old 2 port JP but i dont want anything heavy like over 4oz or any with rear facing gills. My ears are more important than the extra recoil reduction those provide.

Also does green loctite around the barrel in loose upper work as well as tight thermo fit barrel and upper? If not who elese makes tight fitting uppers beside BCM? Preferably one that is a slick side. Thanks for all the suggestions. 

I think 18” barrels are having a resurgence in popularity.  I prefer 18”, the rifle length has a softer recoil impulse, increased velocity, and they handle just as well as a 16”.

Smoke Composites makes a nice carbon fiber handguard, all the cut out make the handguard feel smaller and provide great grip.

American Precision Arms makes a very effective lightweight muzzle brake called the Answer.

I’ve never used the green loctite, I use stainless shim stock to make a shim for uppers that have a loose fit, which is most uppers.  I prefer the looks of uppers w/o forward assist and have used vltor uppers, but have to shim them.  I think I would just use BCM uppers and not worry about it.

Thanks for the info. I have 2 light weight slick side uppers i would like to use but booth are a loose fit. One is an aero prec. I have a BCM upper also but seems dumb using it with a JP low mass bcg that has no notches. Any weight i can save would be nice. Thinking of changing my scope mount to a aero prec ultra lite to save 3 oz. My current mount is heavy about 8 oz. I cant afford a new gen2 razor and my PST is alot heavier than my last scope. What barrels out there in the $300 2lbs range or less would you guys recommend beside a WOA? Id have to wait till next season for one of those. 

• Would also recommend the Criterion 18" Barrel. Switched to that last year and have no regrets, it's awesome. 
  • Criterion actually recommends the loctite method in their videos, I think it was green so did that.
  • For a comp, I really like the SJC Titan Extreme. It's not cheap but very soft and can be somewhat tuned. Immediately behind the gun I don't notice any difference in volume level. Not the same for shooters to the side. I have also used a JP 3 port on one of their full builds which was also very nice.
  • Coda Evolution makes a light carbon fiber handguard in 15". Slim can be a matter of perspective but they seem slim to me.

I would not get too caught up in the rifle length gas system. I would make sure which ever barrel you go with has at least an intermediate length gas system, and get an adjustable gas block to tune the system.  I would also fit your barrel length to what distances you will be shooting out to. Then go as short as you can for field course stuff. That shorter length barrel assembly will save a bit of weight. If you are not going past 500Yds is there really a need for an 18” barrel?  I run a 16” stretch precision barrel and that does everything I need it to out to 500Yds. I also run the JP low mass BCG with the JP SCS buffer and an adjustable gas block.  Once the gas block was tuned properly the only malfunctions experienced have been ammo related and it’s the softest shooting gun I have.

I have just built a s&;t hit the fan 14.5 pinned and shot it in a competition that went out to 200yds with the Unity Tactical Fast system for an Eotech with a 3x magnifier and it was amazing.  I ran it in competition to see its limitations. It really did not have any.  I think for any competitions that only go out to 200yds that is a money setup. I also have a 12.5 AR I am setting up for gaming 2 Gun, 3 Gun and Rifle matches that are limited in distance shooting. Saves weight and way more maneuverable in the field courses. It will have a similar Unity Tactivsl Fast system as I do not see the need for an LPVO for competitions with limited shooting distances.  Something to consider. 

As as far as barrels I have a Triarc barrel in that 14.5” gun and the groups are tight. I have heard good things about Sons of Liberty Barrels as well. 

I have a 16" Criterion CORE in another rifle. I don't have a lot of rounds though it yet but it hasn't shown itself to be spectacular. Most loads in the 2 MOA range. It doesn't like my 62gr match BTHP, Norma TAC 55gr FMJ or Hornady 55gr FMJ over 25gr H335. Those loads shoot well in my other AR-15s. What do you guys think about Ballistic advantage barrels? I might give Criterion another shot with their Nitride 16" hybrid.

1 minute ago, Dchi said:

I have a 16" Criterion CORE in another rifle. I don't have a lot of rounds though it yet but it hasn't shown itself to be spectacular. Most loads in the 2 MOA range.

Have you shot any factory ammo out of it to compare to your loads?  Also what is the twist rate of that barrel?

On 10/3/2021 at 11:27 AM, Dchi said:

Thanks for the info. I have 2 light weight slick side uppers i would like to use but booth are a loose fit. One is an aero prec. I have a BCM upper also but seems dumb using it with a JP low mass bcg that has no notches. Any weight i can save would be nice. Thinking of changing my scope mount to a aero prec ultra lite to save 3 oz. My current mount is heavy about 8 oz. I cant afford a new gen2 razor and my PST is alot heavier than my last scope. What barrels out there in the $300 2lbs range or less would you guys recommend beside a WOA? Id have to wait till next season for one of those. 

For a 'peasant-class' rifle, these are the tickets - https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/18-223-wylde-spr-fluted-stainless-steel-rifle-length-ar-15-barrel-premium-series.html.  The super wide fluting is very cool and shaved more weight than standard fluting.  I've been using this barrel for the last few years, consistent moa with 55 gr Blitzkings.

Get the barrel first and see what you might need to do for a tighter fit to your 2 slick side uppers.  However, the obvious option to me if you want a tight fitting barrel to upper, is to use the BCM upper, 'fit once cry once' kind of thing.  Right to Bear used to make flat tops with tighter tolerances for an interference fit similar to BCM but they've been OOS for a while.

JP 3-ports Ti brake is highly recommended.

Good luck with your new assembly.

1 hour ago, PacMan said:

Yep, when your budget can't afford the JP or Proof Research barrel, whatever I put together is automatically placed in 'peasant-class

On a serious note, I have heard good things about those barrels.

On a not so serious note, I have the financial means to not have to shoot Peasant Class barrels, but even proof research is a bit ridiculous.

I'm a peasant making peasant wages. I went with the BA 18" SPR. I have other rifles that are 16" that I could press into competition if I had too. I will probably reuse the handguard I have for now.  I want to keep the brake price down to about $120 or less. I will let you guys know how the barrel shoots when I get it together and have time to test some loads. 

6 hours ago, Dchi said:

I'm a peasant making peasant wages. I went with the BA 18" SPR. I have other rifles that are 16" that I could press into competition if I had too. I will probably reuse the handguard I have for now.  I want to keep the brake price down to about $120 or less. I will let you guys know how the barrel shoots when I get it together and have time to test some loads. 

You won't regret it.  Like I have said, mine is a consistent moa shooter with 55 gr. blitzkings in the last 3-4 years I've been shooting this 18" stick in 3 gun matches.

Wise choice to keep the current handguard, save $ for a new brake.

• 2 months later...
On 10/4/2021 at 12:59 PM, Dchi said:

I have a 16" Criterion CORE in another rifle. I don't have a lot of rounds though it yet but it hasn't shown itself to be spectacular. Most loads in the 2 MOA range. It doesn't like my 62gr match BTHP, Norma TAC 55gr FMJ or Hornady 55gr FMJ over 25gr H335. Those loads shoot well in my other AR-15s. What do you guys think about Ballistic advantage barrels? I might give Criterion another shot with their Nitride 16" hybrid.

You must being doing something wrong or have a bad criterion barrel.

I picked up a core 16' last year and finally put it together.

With 55g Hornady and TAC it hovers right around sub MOA.

• 2 months later...