Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carver vs thug plug

Bayou

Is there a preference for either plug? I've seen both listed before and while looking at at the thug plug, it appears to be a little heavier. I also am confused if the the carver's will work for a gen5. His webiste states for a "Big Mouth". Thanks

3 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, I am using the Carver one with no magwell. It works well. Another option is the C&H Precision one but it is too pricey for me. Thanks,Eric

Aircooled6racer,

is the Carver plug carry optics legal?

5 hours ago, Cuz said:

Aircooled6racer,

is the Carver plug carry optics legal?

“ish”

All comes down to your interpretation of “heel of the butt”

It does not protrude from the absolute bottom of the frame… but it doesn’t exactly follow the contour. 

37781341-2DDF-44E1-B7B9-61FA9DBFEDE9.jpeg

Thanks for the pic.  I like Carver products, but in this case, for my Gen5 G34 I think I'd rather go with the Thug Plug.  They really don't add much weight, but they are certainly reasonably priced.  Carver would normally say in the description if it was Carry Optics legal.

Damn you guys, I just went and ordered the Thug Plug on ebay.  I like the fact that it's black instead of brass colored.  It's from the GlockStore, but through ebay the shipping is free. 

Edited by Cuz

I use the carver for CO/Prod and trimmed the portion that sticks out, looks more like the typical plastic plug, was not willing to risk going to Open.

I inserted, used a sharpie to mark what needed to go, then used a diamond cutting wheel on the Dremel to take it off (removed it from the gun, lol), painted it black.

Trimmed it enough so that I can still put the medium backstrap on the Gen 4.

I believe cut it was 1,8 ounces.  thug plug is heavier.

22 minutes ago, Bayou said:

Thanks for everyone's opinion, I'm going with the thug plug. The tungsten and putty would add more I believe but would be more of a permanent route. Thanks

As an fyi, I got some small tungsten disks and putty and added it to only my backstrap and it added 1.5 oz. This isn't permanent as it can be pulled out. I laid down a thin layer of putty then pressed in the disks and repeated again. I think most spots are 2 layers with some right down the middle have a 3rd layer.

Just don't fill it too full or use too much putty or it will press out. You could epoxy it in as well since backstrap are cheap but obviously you need to be using a backstrap to make this work.

On 10/1/2021 at 8:30 PM, Intheshaw1 said:

I just bought tungsten weights and added 5-6 oz if I remember correctly.

That seems like an awful lot of weight in a Gen4 or 5 backstrap, are you sure that’s right?  I don’t even think the Taylor Freelance Seattle Slug for Gen 3s add that much weight and they stick way out. 

I didn’t think the Gen 4/5 had that much room. 

11 minutes ago, Cuz said:

That seems like an awful lot of weight in a Gen4 or 5 backstrap, are you sure that’s right?  I don’t even think the Taylor Freelance Seattle Slug for Gen 3s add that much weight and they stick way out. 

I didn’t think the Gen 4/5 had that much room. 

I'd have to weigh it but I believe so. Tungsten is a lot heavier than brass, I got 1.5 oz in my large backstrap alone and the rest in the grip cavity.

I bought solid pieces of tungsten, cubes and balls and packed it in. It's not that hard to add it. My jentra tungsten gen 5 guide rod added 3 oz to the front.

37 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

I'd have to weigh it but I believe so. Tungsten is a lot heavier than brass, I got 1.5 oz in my large backstrap alone and the rest in the grip cavity.

I bought solid pieces of tungsten, cubes and balls and packed it in. It's not that hard to add it. My jentra tungsten gen 5 guide rod added 3 oz to the front.

Tungsten density is like 11 oz/cubic inch. It will add up quick.

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

Thanks, I didn't realize it was that much different than brass.

So, why isn't anyone making a Tungsten plug?  Probably too expensive.

its insanely hard to machine, i'd guess 500.00 or more easy to make one, 

think tig welding electrodes, you use diamond wheels to grind them, they are pure tungsten   and the putty and hunks/shot works great

Edited by Sinister4

11 minutes ago, Sinister4 said:

its insanely hard to machine, i'd guess 500.00 or more easy to make one, 

think tig welding electrodes, you use diamond wheels to grind them, they are pure tungsten   and the putty and hunks/shot works great

is it much harder to machine than a guide rod?

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

is it much harder to machine than a guide rod?

guide rods are most all 2 pieces, clamp in a vise, heat the end and the epoxy/loctite will melt and you can remove the large end, some are pressed, some are threads, super easy to make,  any basic round or cylinder

shape can be made in a lathe or centerless grinder, its the curves that make it nasty work.

Edited by Sinister4

There's a thread here about a cat making a tungsten guide rod as fat/heavy as possible. He goes into the headaches of what it takes to turn one on a lathe, it's apparently rough on tooling to the point you're replacing the cutting parts frequently.

Pure tungsten guiderods are like $120.00 at the Glock Store vs like $60.00 for the alloyed tungsten ones.

I think I will have to have a look through amazon for some tungsten ideas. I don't use a back strap so I would have to use the frame void. The thug plug appears to be 2.3 oz for $30, it might not be worth it to rig something with tungsten. Would up the same price with a guess of 3 oz for tungsten? 

Edited by Bayou
further info

14 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, well that's true just add more weight to make things better. Remember weight is the biggest killer of speed. Thanks, Eric

I'm here as living proof that lack of talent us the biggest killer of speed.

Weight is the second biggest killer of speed...

4 hours ago, Bayou said:

I think I will have to have a look through amazon for some tungsten ideas. I don't use a back strap so I would have to use the frame void. The thug plug appears to be 2.3 oz for $30, it might not be worth it to rig something with tungsten. Would up the same price with a guess of 3 oz for tungsten? 

https://www.maximum-velocity.com/product/tungsten-cubes/

This is where I got my tungsten stuff from but I bought enough to do a couple of glocks I have.

For $20 you can get 4 oz of tungsten. They also sell on eBay if you look around.

3 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, tuning your load and recoil setup will do more than just adding weight to the grip. Thanks, Eric

I added the weight after tuning recoil. It's not adding a ton of weight, just enough to help stabilize for longer shots while still allowing fast transitions.