Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BC for Montana Gold 124gr JHP?

bgary

Anyone have a (good) BC figure for the Montana Gold 124gr JHP?

I have a load I like, I have a good 15-yard zero, I'm curious what the POI will be along the way out to 100y.... and it's raining, so I don't feel like going out and hanging targets right now....

Yeah, I know, I know, it's not really a distance platform.... but... whatevs.
My old load with a 15y zero was "on" at 100y, and no more than 3" high at distances in between, which has sometimes been handy to know.

Edited by bgary

Hmmmm.... okay, I did some digging and I think I've convinced myself that a "good" BC is .... not particularly meaningful.

I called Montana Gold and asked if they had a BC, they said "no, we never did that, because those bullets are only meant for pistol distances". They did say that the BC for the Hornady 124gr XTP should be fairly close.

I found BCs for the XTP and a couple of other 124gr JHPs from a number of manufacturers, and at the velocity I'm running, the calculator says they all peak at 60y, and POIs are all within 1/3" at 100y.  

In case there are other number-geeks among us, here is the data I came up with (using 1140fps):

Sierra 125gr JHP           / BC = .137 / peak rise is 3.5" at 60y / hits 0.5" high at 100y
Winchester 124gr JHP / BC = .142 / peak rise is 3.5" at 60y /  hits 0.6" high at 100y
Sierra 124gr JHP          / BC = .157  / peak rise is 3.5" at 60y / hits 0.7" high at 100y
Hornady 124gr XTP      / BC = .165 / peak rise is 3.5" at 60y / hits 0.8" high at 100y

So, I think I have a "good enough" answer.  (It's not like i'm going to hold - off-hand -  to 1/3" accuracy at 100y anyway...)

B

Edited by bgary