Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Popper Calibration Procedure

Bagellord

https://nroi.org/news-announcements/new-popper-calibration-procedure/

It's obviously imperfect, but seems to be a step in the right direction. So basically, it will be shot a second time if it falls with the first calibration hit (and was not hit in the wrong spot). And it reiterates that RO's should check for REF before calling for calibration.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I've seen the problem at well run stages (care for calibration) it has usually been edge hits in the calibration zone - calibration shots more toward the center drop the popper but that hit you heard that the paint mark shows landed on the edge would not. 

Hard for me to understand why visual evidence of a hit is not considered at matches where painting between shooters is required. The last two times it happened to me it was clear to everyone watching that the popper had been hit in the calibration zone but the popper didn't fall and the calibration shot was more toward the center so the popper did not fail. 

48 minutes ago, Bagellord said:

https://nroi.org/news-announcements/new-popper-calibration-procedure/

It's obviously imperfect, but seems to be a step in the right direction. So basically, it will be shot a second time if it falls with the first calibration hit (and was not hit in the wrong spot). And it reiterates that RO's should check for REF before calling for calibration.

also, an RM can just hit above the calibration zone on a USPSA style popper and get the shooter a reshoot. This has always been my preferred solution, glad it survived.

Edited by llamasabound

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

All these years with many hundreds of shooters getting popper screwed and a big name has it happen and tahdah a rule change!

many hundreds? I've literally never seen it. Everyone shooting sub-minor *claims* they got popper-screwed tho, just like every guy that crashes drunk at night claims a deer jumped out in front of him.

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Hard for me to understand why visual evidence of a hit is not considered at matches where painting between shooters is required. The last two times it happened to me it was clear to everyone watching that the popper had been hit in the calibration zone but the popper didn't fall and the calibration shot was more toward the center so the popper did not fail. 

visual evidence of a hit *is* considered. it's evidence that the popper was hit. if there is no visual evidence, then calibration request is denied.

Unfortunately, it's not considered evidence that the shooter was shooting above 125pf ammo.

fwiw, I would have skipped shooting it the first time. my rule would be to examine it, reset it the way it was set (or in the way least likely to fall), and then shoot it.

I have found faulty latch mechanisms more than once on forward falling poppers, but if it's not discovered until after the popper falls for the rm, the shooter has no recourse.

oops. double-tap. fwiw, the main thing I like about this procedure is the extra examination of the mechanism in between shooting it twice. in my experience, just adding that step would solve 99% of the *real* popper problems, like defective or maladjusted latches, or poppers that can rest in  more than one position due to a crappy worn-out hinge. It still wouldn't solve the sub-minor whiners, but mocking those people helps alot.

Edited by motosapiens

10 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

visual evidence of a hit *is* considered. it's evidence that the popper was hit. if there is no visual evidence, then calibration request is denied.

Unfortunately, it's not considered evidence that the shooter was shooting above 125pf ammo.

not to mention the "certified ammo" that fell below the PF in the past...

40 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

In the scoring zone, considered the way all other hits are considered except for with poppers. 

you  mean the 'calibration zone' ?  there is no scoring zone on poppers. You can still score way outside the calibration zone, as long as you knock it over. If you're worried about knocking over poppers, don't show up to nationals with almost half of your ammo sub-minor, lol.

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

many hundreds? I've literally never seen it. Everyone shooting sub-minor *claims* they got popper-screwed tho, just like every guy that crashes drunk at night claims a deer jumped out in front of him.

I’ve probably seen half the calibration shots knock down steel that didn’t fall for a shooter. Depending on ones definition of being screwed all of those could qualify.

I'm somewhat concerned what this could potentially do to match flow.  Granted, if the poppers are set correctly and fall when they should, there should be few calls for calibration.  But I've seen too many "competitors" with very low and/or barely edge hits request a calibration simply in the hopes of "getting lucky."  The new procedure may prove to slow the match down unnecessarily.

Just my $0.02 ...

13 hours ago, TaterHead said:

Yet another needless rule change.

Only an idiot doesn't realize that shooting a popper that has already been hit in the calibration zone (but still standing) is an inherently flawed way to determine if it's in calibration.

This was a huge step in the right direction.

Do they have front falling plates ? 
the combination of front and back falling poppers changes how stages are shot and allows stage designers to subtly change the stage flow. 
I’ve  been bitten a couple times by not walking the stage thoroughly and notice the front fallers. 
I think it’s great. My dumba#^ should have noticed it before hand. 

8 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

…or just abolish all poppers and replace with plates. If they fail to fall then it’s usually a REF, they are easier to haul around from equipment shack to the berms, and they are cheaper.😇

I am a big fan of the smaller poppers, or the big poppers with the non calibration area skeletonized, for some of the practicality reasons you noted above and because fewer people get screwed when the wind holds them up and because there are fewer reshoots when the wind blows them down and because they do not require recalibration as often due to shifting on muddy or otherwise loose soil. 

Surprised that gusty windy days are not a more prevalent part of this discussion, wind gusts strong enough to blow them down (which I assume everyone has seen - usually happens to you on the last target of your best stage of the day) are likely more than strong enough to hold them up when hit with minor power factor bullets.   

Edited by IHAVEGAS

15 hours ago, Sarge said:

I’ve probably seen half the calibration shots knock down steel that didn’t fall for a shooter. Depending on ones definition of being screwed all of those could qualify.

that's almost never being screwed. .that's hitting a popper low, or on the edge, or with sub-minor ammo.

Now I admit that it's possible that the clubs where I shoot are just more diligent about keeping their equipment adjusted properly than the clubs where you shoot. I personally try to check the poppers every stage at local matches, and when I work majors, I check and adjust between every squad, because that's what competent RO's do.

Edited by motosapiens