Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stack minor loads

Cowguy

135 at .357, seated just short of lands has been a good combo.  Right below 1000 fps in my 5" guns has been a happy spot.  

Haven't yet tried the 145 RN I see offered at by several outfits, including my preferred vendor.

I can't imagine the 147 TC or RNFP would be reliable in a 1911, but perhaps some have tried successfully.  

Edited by johnmyster

147gr 3.0gn of Titegroup

133gr 3.3gn TG

125gr 3.7gn TG

115gr 3.9gn TG

These loads cycle these builds:

To help reliable cycling I have 15# HS  and Cammer Hammer on my 1911/2011s. And 8lb RS.

Tanfo and CZ has 16# HS and 8lb RS (Tanfo) and 11# RS (CZ)

Edited by MuayThaiJJ

147 gr blue bullet  FP

3.4 gr american select

130-131 PF

I try for 900 fps

trying to use up my old shotgun powder, but the load works very well, no issues light shooting

Edited by Sinister4

Name: 9mm: 124gr Zero RN: Win 231 4.2gr: Mix Case: OAL 1.14

Notes: Para 1911 5"
Shots: 5

Average: 1080 ft/s
SD: 20 ft/s
Min: 1043 ft/s
Max: 1097 ft/s
Spread: 54 ft/s

Power Factor Average: 133
Power Factor Low: 129
Power Factor High: 136

Barometric Pressure: 30 in Hg
Temperature: 63 F

Weight: 124.0 gr.
Powder/Wt: Win 231 / 4.2
Bullet/Wt: Zero / 124
Primer: CCI SPP
OAL: 1.14
Gun: Para 5"

4 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

In the panicdemic it does not do much good to ask for a recipe if you don't say how many eggs - or what powder - you have or can get.  

I agree!

Tell us what powder(s) and bullet weights you have to test with and then you'll get some better recipes!

👍

Of what you list I have loaded

700X - large coarse flakes, I had to hang a vibrator on the powder measure to get reasonably uniform loads.

Tite Group - seems ok, the friend I went to a match with yesterday uses nothing but.  Some adverse reports on coated bullets.

Power Pistol - high velocity possible, but loud report and bright muzzle flash.

Bullseye - loads and shoots well, gun and hands end up sooty.  

I found 700x to be intolerably bad. That kind of awful metering might be ok in a single weighed precision rifle case, but not for a pistol loaded out of a volumetric dispenser. I was getting a full grain of variance. 

I really like autocomp for making full power loads. Don't try to reduce it, it's great full strength. Power pistol too, it's a fun powder that's loud and flashy. 

Clays seems to be a popular light load powder, but I haven't used it. 

Titegroup is massively popular. One of the most common powders for minor. It's hot, flashy, messy, and economical. I can't say I love it, but it has proven results and it'll do the job well enough to win.

I understand 700x is a problem getting uniform loads, but I’ve bought a load of it when a store sold out. I have a aquarium air pump to put on my powder measure, it has to go somewhere either in 45 apc or here I don’t know if it will work for 40

700x works well in 45apc. 38spl, and very well in 40s&w.

My choice of the powders you list would be Bulls Eye.

What are you using in other 9mm guns? Your making and 

coating bullets. One can assume you have a 9mm pistol

of some kind .

This is were I would start.

147 coated loaded long (like a 2011)  1.155

3.4gr Bulls Eye powder

Winchester Small Pistol primers

in my gun  135ish power factor

135 coated (same length)

3.8gr Bulls Eye

WSPP

135 -140. POWER Factor

I cast and coat my own bullets. Coat with hitek.Size according to what gun they are for.

Example My glocks (34 ,17L,43X) .356

19                   .357

STI spartan               .357

S&W 929               .358

I just coat the bullets a different color to help keep up with different sizing.

And what gun they are fore.

Edited by AHI

Have only used 700x. For bullseye competition. This is the powder Zero uses to load their ammo.

4.4 gr 185 Zero jhp. Don't know the pf should be around 145. This is sub x ring at 50 yards (10 shots)

From a ransom rest.

As long as you drop 4+ grains. 700x meaters very well.

Edited by AHI

• 3 weeks later...

I made the move to 9mm for the steel matches some years ago where there's no scoring advantage to .45.

In a 5" 1911 (Range Officer), my optimum load is 4.0 gr of Titegroup pushing a 124 gr plated or jacketed RN; OAL is 1.15".  I've run Berry's & Xtreme plated (slight edge to Xtreme) and Precision Delta and Rocky Mountain Reloading FMJs.  RMRs seem to have the most consistent accuracy and velocity for me.  I tried 147s but they offered no performance advantage for me and were a little more expensive.  I also tried Bayou Bullets (my primary source for .45 pills) in 135, 145 and 147 gr denominations, but they also offered no improvement over the 124s.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll add my latest load.

135gn SNS or BBI

1.290 OAL

3.82GN Ramshot Competition 

After chrono 10 rounds my average was 130PF in a Sig P320 Legion. Also very little smoke, much better then TG as far as smoke. Couldn't tell a difference in recoil.