Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

optic getting dirty while firing

Reloader98

Hello everyone, 

so I have a J.L. Hardy 4.25” open gun with a comp and two popple holes. The optics mount i’m pretty sure is a DAA, note sure as I got the gun used. I’ll attach some pics so y’all can see. 

but essentially my red dot is getting covered in carbon as I’m firing the gun. It is rather short and the popple holes don’t help, but boy does it shoot well. 

after about 30-40 rounds it starts to get so hazy that it’s harder to see through than when it’s clean. Now if I go to s match I’ll pretty much be stuck with cleaning my optic every stage or two. Not to mention that it will decrease the life of the optics glass and coatings by cleaning it constantly. 

so could any of you suggest some ways to keep it clean? Like perhaps different optic mounts that protect the optic better from the blast? If possible? 

really looking for s better optics mount to prevent it from getting dirty in the first place, but if that’s not possible, what’s the best way to keep it clean long term and easily during matches? 

would be much appreciated, thanks! 

Anthony Alongi 

pics of gun:

note: the picture showing the burn on the front of the optic mount. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MWPXuAxy7K43u2Zn6

11 hours ago, BoyGlock said:

I cover the front of the lens w/ electrical tape or any opaque tape and focus my vision on the target, not thru the lens. I hit 2 birds in one stone, I'm seeing the target and dot the correct way and protect the lens from the blast and dirt. 

I’ve heard of some doing this but I don’t want to rely on this as my only tactic to shoot, kind of defeats the purpose of the dot in the first place. 

6 minutes ago, BoyGlock said:

Actually it enhances its purpose, not defeat

But wouldn’t covering up the dot prevent one from being able to superimpose the dot properly ? Like I wouldn’t be able to see the exact point on the target I want the dot to be on right? 

you have me curious now lol. 

When the lens is covered in front and you aim at a target (with both eyes open of course) and see the target w/ the dot superimposed, it means your vision is focused on the target, which is the designed purpose of the red dot. But if you only see the dot sans the target, you are focused on the dot which is not the optimum way of aiming with a red dot because it is slower VS the target focused aim. Because when in dot-focused aim, the vision locks on the target first then shifts to the dot Ala iron sight aiming it is slower. In target focused aim, the vision locks on the target and see the dot on it without any shifting in focus. The tape over the lens let's you know if you are target focused or not. Try it both ways to know the difference. 

14 minutes ago, Reloader98 said:

But wouldn’t covering up the dot prevent one from being able to superimpose the dot properly ? Like I wouldn’t be able to see the exact point on the target I want the dot to be on right? 

you have me curious now lol. 

Edited by BoyGlock

• 1 month later...

Thanks to the both of you that replied, I’ve kind of come to the same conclusion that I just need to clean it every stage or two, I use some alcohol wipes that I took from work and a microfiber cloth to clean it about every stage depending on the round count. 
my issue now is the C-more RTS2 itself having issues but that may be for a different post, not to mention all the other posts that talk about, I might just get the Romeo 3 max soon. 

1 hour ago, Reloader98 said:

Oh well that’s just delightfully not cost effective for C-more owners I guess huh? I guess I should just get a better optic. 

I have two RTS2 V4 on two Open guns. Never an issue with either. They are good optics if you get at least V4

23 hours ago, Sarge said:

I have two RTS2 V4 on two Open guns. Never an issue with either. They are good optics if you get at least V4

That’s what I think I have that’s kind of the issue, thanks for replying btw sarge. If I’m not wrong, you can tell it’s the v4 if the optic turns on after putting in the battery tray right? If so then mine is the v4. 

What powder do you use, and have you tried other powders to see what effects they have in regards to carbon build up on your optic?  30-40 rounds sounds super quick poppel holes or not to haze out an optic. 

Edited by Boomstick303

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

What powder do you use, and have you tried other powders to see what effects they have in regards to carbon build up on your optic?  30-40 rounds sounds super quick poppel holes or not to haze out an optic. 

I’m using 7.1 grains of Autocomp behind 125. Gr blue bullets TC’s