Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Black Mamba trigger not resetting

mpmo

Good evening my forum brothers and sisters.  Hoping you might be able to help me with an issue I'm having with my Black Mamba 6".  

Shooting CCI MInimag, 40gr, 1235fps, Target RN.  

This happens more than anything else on my first string of fire.  The trigger doesn't seem to reset.  The gun ejects fine, and chambers a new round fine, but the trigger is dead.  It will happen a few times and then it will be fine.  Tonight, it was fine for the first 10 strings and then it started to happen.  It is just occassional and not consistent.  

I typically clean and lube every 3-400ish rounds with Wilson Ultra Oil in summer and Wilson Ultra Oil Lite in the fall and winter.  

No modifications except to the mags which have TK followers, green springs, replacement buttons and a mix of TK and Volquartsen basepads.  

Gun has probably 2k rounds on it and has been in service for 6 months.  Other than the MiniMags, I also run the Remington Golden bullet bulk packs in practice.  

I can't think of any other info that might be needed for diagnosis.

Any ideas what is going on?

THanks!

Check the trigger pre-travel set screw.  If you're getting a positive reset after pushing the trigger forward, it probably means your pre-travel screw is in too deep and is preventing the trigger from traveling forward far enough to reset consistently.  This happened on my Black Mamba from the factory; backing it out solved the problem.

does that gun use the Ruger disconnector?

My Rugers occasionally do the dead trigger thing if that disconnector doesn't seat all the way when reassembled.

I have not had a Mamba apart but it looks like the same thing.

Sorry if this is a rabbit trail. That sure sounds familiar though.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 7:33 PM, apoc4lypse said:

Check the trigger pre-travel set screw.  If you're getting a positive reset after pushing the trigger forward, it probably means your pre-travel screw is in too deep and is preventing the trigger from traveling forward far enough to reset consistently.  This happened on my Black Mamba from the factory; backing it out solved the problem.

+1 this has happened to me a few times.

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't got your reset problem figured out by now there is one other item to check. The trigger return spring sometimes is not strong enough to reliably reset the trigger. Putting a stronger spring in will give the reset a stronger reset which is good especially if you shoot from the reset.