Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sporting Clay guns, 26" barrels and fudd rules?

DavidSeavey

So I've been dabbling with sporting clays a few years now at a few local venues and love it.  Golf with a shotgun, just without the beers.

I started with my old Ithaca 37 then brought out my old stoeger 3gun shotgun, and a cheap over/under.  Since i bought my Dissident KL12 i've mostly been shooting her because it's just fun to shoot honestly. I've been shooting my best scores with the AK shotgun and now prefer to shoot her, but usually bring the crappy over/under just in case i get flak for the 'tactical' gun even though it's by a long shot the highest performance shotgun i own, and it fits me the best. I always bring a bunch of mags to load pairs.

Last weekend was really the only time i've actually gotten flak for it.  The guy said they usually don't allow "Fxxx around guns like that" (which a KL12 is anything but, didn't want to get into it with the guy) and he mentioned a 26" barrel rule.

Where does that 26" silliness come from? Is it just fudds not liking things that aren't common to that game or is there a more interesting history to prohibiting shooting defensive or more tactical or compact type shotguns?

58 minutes ago, dapribek said:

There’s no 26” barrel rule i shoot a Citori with 28” barrels. 

should have specified that when he told me about the 26" rule he was referencing a supposed rule barring barrels shorter than 26", not an exact length

There is no barrel length rule in general, but some clubs may require a minimum barrel (not max length; has to be at least 26"...) length for some reason. Lots of sporting guns have 30" or 32" or even 34" barrels.

2 hours ago, DavidSeavey said:

The guy said they usually don't allow "Fxxx around guns like that"

What an a-hole.   I used to shoot a lot of competitive trap.   The really good guys (trap, skeet, clays, whatever) don't say that - they're just happy people are shooting the sports.   It's the guys that think they are good and think an expensive gun makes them special.  Usually they suck and always have an excuse.   Shoot whatever you want.

Edited by LMS

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2021 at 7:19 PM, DavidSeavey said:

So I've been dabbling with sporting clays a few years now at a few local venues and love it.  Golf with a shotgun, just without the beers.

I started with my old Ithaca 37 then brought out my old stoeger 3gun shotgun, and a cheap over/under.  Since i bought my Dissident KL12 i've mostly been shooting her because it's just fun to shoot honestly. I've been shooting my best scores with the AK shotgun and now prefer to shoot her, but usually bring the crappy over/under just in case i get flak for the 'tactical' gun even though it's by a long shot the highest performance shotgun i own, and it fits me the best. I always bring a bunch of mags to load pairs.

Last weekend was really the only time i've actually gotten flak for it.  The guy said they usually don't allow "Fxxx around guns like that" (which a KL12 is anything but, didn't want to get into it with the guy) and he mentioned a 26" barrel rule.

Where does that 26" silliness come from? Is it just fudds not liking things that aren't common to that game or is there a more interesting history to prohibiting shooting defensive or more tactical or compact type shotguns?

You probably have better gun handling and muzzle discipline than almost all the fudds I've run into in the clay sports.

It got so bad that I decided to quit sporting clays cold, before I got into a fight with someone over the numerous and constant firearm safety violations I saw every time at virtually every clay club I went to .