Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sporting Clay guns, 26" barrels and fudd rules?

DavidSeavey

So I've been dabbling with sporting clays a few years now at a few local venues and love it.  Golf with a shotgun, just without the beers.

I started with my old Ithaca 37 then brought out my old stoeger 3gun shotgun, and a cheap over/under.  Since i bought my Dissident KL12 i've mostly been shooting her because it's just fun to shoot honestly. I've been shooting my best scores with the AK shotgun and now prefer to shoot her, but usually bring the crappy over/under just in case i get flak for the 'tactical' gun even though it's by a long shot the highest performance shotgun i own, and it fits me the best. I always bring a bunch of mags to load pairs.

Last weekend was really the only time i've actually gotten flak for it.  The guy said they usually don't allow "Fxxx around guns like that" (which a KL12 is anything but, didn't want to get into it with the guy) and he mentioned a 26" barrel rule.

Where does that 26" silliness come from? Is it just fudds not liking things that aren't common to that game or is there a more interesting history to prohibiting shooting defensive or more tactical or compact type shotguns?

There is no barrel length rule in general, but some clubs may require a minimum barrel (not max length; has to be at least 26"...) length for some reason. Lots of sporting guns have 30" or 32" or even 34" barrels.

2 hours ago, DavidSeavey said:

The guy said they usually don't allow "Fxxx around guns like that"

What an a-hole.   I used to shoot a lot of competitive trap.   The really good guys (trap, skeet, clays, whatever) don't say that - they're just happy people are shooting the sports.   It's the guys that think they are good and think an expensive gun makes them special.  Usually they suck and always have an excuse.   Shoot whatever you want.

Edited by LMS

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2021 at 7:19 PM, DavidSeavey said:

So I've been dabbling with sporting clays a few years now at a few local venues and love it.  Golf with a shotgun, just without the beers.

I started with my old Ithaca 37 then brought out my old stoeger 3gun shotgun, and a cheap over/under.  Since i bought my Dissident KL12 i've mostly been shooting her because it's just fun to shoot honestly. I've been shooting my best scores with the AK shotgun and now prefer to shoot her, but usually bring the crappy over/under just in case i get flak for the 'tactical' gun even though it's by a long shot the highest performance shotgun i own, and it fits me the best. I always bring a bunch of mags to load pairs.

Last weekend was really the only time i've actually gotten flak for it.  The guy said they usually don't allow "Fxxx around guns like that" (which a KL12 is anything but, didn't want to get into it with the guy) and he mentioned a 26" barrel rule.

Where does that 26" silliness come from? Is it just fudds not liking things that aren't common to that game or is there a more interesting history to prohibiting shooting defensive or more tactical or compact type shotguns?

You probably have better gun handling and muzzle discipline than almost all the fudds I've run into in the clay sports.

It got so bad that I decided to quit sporting clays cold, before I got into a fight with someone over the numerous and constant firearm safety violations I saw every time at virtually every clay club I went to .

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2021 at 4:26 PM, SGT_Schultz said:

You probably have better gun handling and muzzle discipline than almost all the fudds I've run into in the clay sports.

It got so bad that I decided to quit sporting clays cold, before I got into a fight with someone over the numerous and constant firearm safety violations I saw every time at virtually every clay club I went to .

hah serously though! you have to shift your whole attitude around them or just go away.  i love the game of clays with my uspsa friends though.  I think the trap guys are the worst at that actually.

• 2 months later...

My primary Clays gun is a Beretta 682 12 ga with a 32" barrel but frequently shoot my Beretta 686 28 ga with a 26" barrel.  No issues with my clubs regarding barrel length.  I've also shot trap with my 20" Benelli and a dot sight.

• 5 months later...

I've seen a few clubs in south Florida with no pistol grip setups (regardless of barrel length), no bullpups (again, regardless of barrel length), no 20" or less, and no 22" or less barrel length postings. 

Some of the rules can be rather "silly" to say the least at some clubs.

• 4 months later...

I believe this episode "explains it".  Beyond that I will say...It is my fault.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-66-nsca-executive-director-michael-hampton-jr/id1542488589?i=1000552803399

I shot the Oregon State Championship with a 18+" Gen12 shotgun and it was not well received by those who 

complain about such things.  For the record I conducted myself with calm professionalism,  My demeanor was not and issue.

This was the gun in question.  The rule is now 24" unless you get MD permission.

Gen12 Oregon Clays 1.JPG

I prefer a 30-34" barrel for sporting clays, trap, 5Stand and skeet.  That's what I think works better for me.  If you want to shoot sporting with a 20" barrel, who cares as long as you conduct yourself in a safe manner.  As long as you aren't walking around between stations with 10rds in the extended tube or locked & loaded with detachable magazine inserted, I don't care. 

On 10/23/2022 at 12:59 PM, P.E. Kelley said:

I believe this episode "explains it".  Beyond that I will say...It is my fault.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-66-nsca-executive-director-michael-hampton-jr/id1542488589?i=1000552803399

I shot the Oregon State Championship with a 18+" Gen12 shotgun and it was not well received by those who 

complain about such things.  For the record I conducted myself with calm professionalism,  My demeanor was not and issue.

This was the gun in question.  The rule is now 24" unless you get MD permission.

Gen12 Oregon Clays 1.JPG

Apartment found on Tripadvisor : WTF

I would have paid to see that............LOL

On 10/23/2022 at 6:55 PM, Yeti said:

If you want to shoot sporting with a 20" barrel, who cares as long as you conduct yourself in a safe manner.  As long as you aren't walking around between stations with 10rds in the extended tube or locked & loaded with detachable magazine inserted, I don't care.

Exactly

But that sport has more miserable people than any I've ever been to and they like to spread their misery.