Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Strength...

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Not arguing, but I have seen a lot of guidance suggesting that you work on trigger control by trying to get the mechanics right while pulling the trigger rather than outmuscling the gun. 

It's not so much outmuscling the gun as increasing your overall grip strength to reduce the need to actively crush it. Cha Lee had a great series of posts about this a few months back.

Essentially let's say the gun requires 100 lbs of grip force to reliably control. If your max grip strength is 120 lbs of force you really have to crush your grip to achieve 100 lbs of grip force, or 90% of total grip strength, which can impact your trigger pull. Whereas if your max is 180 lbs, you are only using 60% and can have a more relaxed grip but still apply the same amount of pressure.

These are obviously made up numbers but the concept is what matters. Improving your overall grip strength is likely only going to help and almost never hurt your shooting. And by increasing your grip strength you can relax your grip and improve trigger control with the relaxed grip.

This also assumes all other things are equal and that you already have the fundamentals of grip down. And you can get a grip trainer and throw it in your car to use during your drive to work and you're not giving up any of your normal training time.

Or you can lift weights as @gargoil66said as it helps grip faster and improves overall health and athletic ability.

On 10/13/2021 at 10:09 AM, Racinready300ex said:

Certainly the mental game is important, much more important than your strength or speed. But if working it helps you feel better about your chances that's great go after it. But know and believing you already have the grip strength you need can have the same effect. Freeing you up to work on things that matter. 

RR:

If a guy doesn't think he has a problem, he won't even be thinking about it.  However, believing one is physically powerful does not make him so.  I have seen a lot of guys make the mistake of thinking that they were the heat without having done the work to make them the heat.  They get humiliated when faced with a person of average skills and a decent amount of attention. 

You won't find a coach or performance enhancement / sports psychologist who won't say up front that mental skills only enhance performance.  They don't  make up for lacking in training or basic skills development and perfection.

So, it can be argued that the mental game is important but not without a correspondingly high level of skills development. 

Another thing I have noted is that guys and gals do not seem to practice their mental skills when they practice.  The mental skills are only as good as they too are trained.  

GG

1 minute ago, gargoil66 said:

RR:

If a guy doesn't think he has a problem, he won't even be thinking about it.  However, believing one is physically powerful does not make him so.  I have seen a lot of guys make the mistake of thinking that they were the heat without having done the work to make them the heat.  They get humiliated when faced with a person of average skills and a decent amount of attention. 

You won't find a coach or performance enhancement / sports psychologist who won't say up front that mental skills only enhance performance.  They don't  make up for lacking in training or basic skills development and perfection.

So, it can be argued that the mental game is important but not without a correspondingly high level of skills development. 

Another thing I have noted is that guys and gals do not seem to practice their mental skills when they practice.  The mental skills are only as good as they too are trained.  

GG

I think you're missing what I'm saying. I'm not saying believing you are strong is what makes you strong enough. I'm saying the average person in our sport already has the strength required to control the gun they're just not using what they have correctly. So they need to understand this, and really believe it and look at their technique instead. 

If someone is blaming their poor control on grip strength then they must think they are good at shooting so all that's left is strength they're missing. I find most people think they have the fundamentals down, when really they don't.  

It kind of goes to your point about the mental game can't make up for lack of training. I completely agree. But I also training the wrong thing isn't going to help you either. 

23 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Not arguing, but I have seen a lot of guidance suggesting that you work on trigger control by trying to get the mechanics right while pulling the trigger rather than outmuscling the gun. 

Ditto. I like to have as much grip strength as I can. But try making one-handed shots if you don't have trigger control.

4 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I think you're missing what I'm saying. I'm not saying believing you are strong is what makes you strong enough. I'm saying the average person in our sport already has the strength required to control the gun they're just not using what they have correctly. So they need to understand this, and really believe it and look at their technique instead. 

If someone is blaming their poor control on grip strength then they must think they are good at shooting so all that's left is strength they're missing. I find most people think they have the fundamentals down, when really they don't.  

It kind of goes to your point about the mental game can't make up for lack of training. I completely agree. But I also training the wrong thing isn't going to help you either. 

RR.

I sure did miss what you were saying.  I got it now. 

Agree totally for novice shooters who don't have the basic skills.  Probably half and half for guys who are B or A class.  Probably not as much for Master and GM.   Why do I think this way?  Because the more accomplished a guy gets, the more they are attuned to themselves and if they identify something they thinks needs work, they are probably right.

So yes, I understand what you are saying, agree with it, and appreciate you taking the time to clarify!  

GG66