Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you recommend using the Lee U die for 40S&W?

Ontarget

I use one for 9mm revolvers that tend to encourage bullets to walk out of brass. The only downside I know of is that it requires a bit more force on the handle so it can make long reloading sessions less fun. 

Never found a need for one in 40, if I did I would try this one first https://www.egwguns.com/undersize-reloading-die-40-s-w-10mm . 

I don't use one.  I use the Lee Factory Carbide Crimp Die in 9, 40 and 45.  I have it set to crimp only.  For straight walled cases like 40 and 45 it completely eliminates any Glock bulge missed by the sizing die.  For tapered cases like 9mm it is not as effective, because only the top of the case is sized.

Edited by zzt

I have been using it in both 40 and 9mm because they were on sale a while back.  I didn't have a lot of problems before I started using it but I have basically none now.  If you have a 650 it's a no brainer, put a normal sizing die in station 1, the u die goes in station 2 with no decapping pin and enjoy!

I used it in 40 many years ago. I just got one last month in 9mm and processed some cases with it. When I went to load them I think it was causing my powder measure to stick and I didn’t like that. I don’t know for sure it was the U die, but I removed it from my processing toolhead and don’t use it anymore, for now. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/24/2021 at 6:13 AM, Ontarget said:

I would like to hear your thoughts on the Lee U die. Do you like it? Do you use it?  Thanks.

Yes, I like using the LEE U-Die for 40 for jacketed loads.  Reduces number of case gauge failures in batches. 

Works nicely.

For .40, I don't consider it a convenience but a critical piece of safety equipment. 

If you're ever around when someone fires a .40 that has suffered setup into the case, you'll know why I say that.

It's a high pressure round to begin with. Let the bullet set back enough and it's a .40 caliber hand grenade.

I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong, but I know what I've seen.

11 minutes ago, ima45dv8 said:

For .40, I don't consider it a convenience but a critical piece of safety equipment. 

If you're ever around when someone fires a .40 that has suffered setup into the case, you'll know why I say that.

It's a high pressure round to begin with. Let the bullet set back enough and it's a .40 caliber hand grenade.

I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong, but I know what I've seen.

Well, since you asked for it. . . .  To start, .40 SW isn't a high pressure round.  At 35k psi per SAMMI spec, it's the same as 9mm.  Maybe not a powder puff like .45 ACP, but nothing close to what would be defined as high pressure.  As for the U-die, it overworks the brass, and in most cases, sizes it excessively.  While that's certainly more desirable than not sizing it sufficiently, there are better alternatives.  One is the Redding Dual Ring, which sizes the case opening correctly, without undersizing the bottom half.  So, no setback and no Coke bottle effect.  It also makes for less work if you're cranking them out by hand, as most of us are.  And if you're like me, and load a couple thousand or more at a time, that makes a big difference. 

On 10/28/2021 at 11:14 AM, ltdmstr said:

Well, since you asked for it. . . .  To start, .40 SW isn't a high pressure round.  At 35k psi per SAMMI spec, it's the same as 9mm.  Maybe not a powder puff like .45 ACP, but nothing close to what would be defined as high pressure.  As for the U-die, it overworks the brass, and in most cases, sizes it excessively.  While that's certainly more desirable than not sizing it sufficiently, there are better alternatives.  One is the Redding Dual Ring, which sizes the case opening correctly, without undersizing the bottom half.  So, no setback and no Coke bottle effect.  It also makes for less work if you're cranking them out by hand, as most of us are.  And if you're like me, and load a couple thousand or more at a time, that makes a big difference. 

It is a high pressure round if you're running a 180-200gr jacketed bullet with a fast powder like Clays, which was a very popular USPSA Limited Major load for at least a decade.  Fortunately, there are now some more forgiving powders.

Nolan

24 minutes ago, Nolan said:

It is a high pressure round if you're running a 180-200gr jacketed bullet with a fast powder like Clays, which was a very popular USPSA Limited Major load for at least a decade.  Fortunately, there are now some more forgiving powders.

Nolan

That's pure speculation on your part.  There are no published figures for those loads, so you have no idea what the numbers are.

On 10/29/2021 at 11:54 AM, ltdmstr said:

That's pure speculation on your part.  There are no published figures for those loads, so you have no idea what the numbers are.

You are absolute correct, but when it is almost a full grain over the published max load.....ehh.  I think you can safely (Excuse the pun) consider that a high pressure load.

Nolan

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

You are absolute correct, but when it is almost a full grain over the published max load.....ehh.  I think you can safely (Excuse the pun) consider that a high pressure load.

Nolan

And the .045 - .065 longer OAL effectively increases case capacity, which should decrease pressure compared to a typical .40 SW round.  So, like I said, pure speculation.  

• 2 weeks later...