Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDm Elite the best entry factory produced gun for new competitors to get into gun games ?

JGus

Several years ago when I first got into USPSA, I bought a 5.25" XDm.  Dropped in a PRP trigger and shot Production.  Love that gun.  Still have it today.  I eventually moved on to the CZ Accu Shadow, then to a CZ Shadow 2 because of the additional weight.  And now I'm shooting a Sig X5 Legion in CO the last few years.  I definitely prefer a heavier gun.

When people are interested in dipping their toes into USPSA and wonder what gun to start with, I recommend the new XDm Elite, and the XDm before the Elite was offered.  Affordable and has a really nice out of the box trigger.  It's even a great gun for someone that is all in on USPSA (as TGO would agree).  So if they decide it's a sport for them, the XDm or XDm Elite will serve them well.  I think the XDm is the most underrated gun in USPSA.

I don't like claiming things are the "best", but definitely think it is way underrated.  Like you, I started with one and then moved on to "nicer" options.  That said, I just don't feel like I'd be losing much by going back to it.  It's accurate, reliable, has good aftermarket support, and the PRP trigger in it is amazing.  

Edited by fbzero

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is my opinion….. i Was a hard core idpa/uspsa guy back then … mid 2000’s…. I won a State idpa cdp ex championship…. Off season I acquired a XD40Tacical.   Put in range work on it and Quickly realized this gun shot itself with Little input.   Automatic.  Short story is I won the state esp ex the next year.   Now I’m a rust 62yr old in 2021…. 

H

Edited by HHjr
Modified txt

They are dang good guns and overlooked. Are they the same best plastic gun, idk. But in reality it think all the decent plastic guns are only a lateral move from one another. XDM, m&p, Glock, sig, etc. I have been shooting xd/xdms for a long time in production and limited,  a little co, and even a very small stint in open. And when shooting any other plastic gun I never any meaningful difference. But I am just a b class shooter,so take it for what it's worth

On 10/15/2021 at 5:47 PM, waterboy said:

I wish I still had my XD Tactical in 9mm. It was a great gun and would be a perfect starter gun for competition 

My first XD is a 40 cal 4", it might be the last pistol I would sell. That gun came with a test target in the box just like CZ's do. I was so happy with the 4" that I ended up getting a later manufacture 5" in 40 and 9 and eventually an Xdm 9 when the 5" XDs disappointed. 

Only the first XD came with the test target and only the first XD was anything special or what I would consider accurate enough to make me happy for IDPA and USPSA (40 loaded to 145 pf is just fun), so I've wondered if manufacturing tolerances or other aspects of quality control have cheapened over time. 

My Xdm 9 still shows up at matches in another shooters hands (he is either production M or GM now) and he beats me like a red headed step child. Great gun, if I was smarter I would have never moved on from it. 

IDPA changed their rules making the 4" XD illegal for CCP division (0.25" too tall - Glock was where the money was), so I quit paying IDPA dues. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

I guess I forgot to say my XD Tactical was the Mod 2 version. Regardless if it said grip zone or not, to me the grip on the Mod 2s was perfect. Maybe a bit more aggressive texture would be nice, but I really liked that gun.

• 8 months later...

Springfield is currently offering a rebate for 3 additional mags and a soft case to go along with the three mags and hard case that come with the purchase of an XDm Elite.  The Elite comes with the new Match Enhanced Trigger Assembly and an extended grip safety with memory bump. To buy an aftermarket trigger and extended grip safety was $200.  Now they are included.  And with the 5.25" model to convert it to CO all you need to do is unscrew the adjustable rear sight, and replace it with a Springer Precision red dot plate.  All this for under $600 if you shop around. 

To each their own.  We are all entitled to our own opinions.  I started with an XDM for three gun to which I never really shot 3 gun since after I geared up I took a break from shooting all together.  Springfield is a decent guns at a decent price point, and my XDM shot fine.  They have issues just like every other gun, where each gun has its own pros and cons.  Its up to the end user to do their homework and figure out which cons they can and cannot deal with.  After I came back to shooting and after doing some homework, I felt it was obvious Springfield's cons did not make it a good option for me in regards to a long-term answer.  

Then there are other things that Springfield has done in the gun world that has completely turned me off.  Their Saint is a disaster.  The XD grip feels like a brick.  

Springfield is far from the best entry level gun, but they are not the worst.  There is a reason you see very few in the gun games. If they were such a great gun or best entry level gun you would see a lot more of them in USPSA, due to price point alone.  If anyone disputes that look at Canik.    

As with all firearms do your home work, before you buy.    

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I Simply Love this post…. I’m a Long time (64yrs old) ipsc, idpa John Farnum guy… 1911’s SIGs, HK’s,      Won a state cdp title … next year got a xd40tac…. Man that gun was epic… only thing I did was put on a skinny Dawson Optic fr sight and a steel 1911 guide rod and won state esp…stock trig.  . The gun practically shot by itself!! 

The one gun line i recommend to new shooters…. OfCourse I do Not poopoo on the G word What so ever.., been guys kicking my ass with G ‘s for a Long time!!

H