Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 625-8 JM vs Std differences

tim_w

625-8 JM vs Std:

What are the actual differences?

Only thing I see is grips, JM engraving, SS vs black trigger/hammer.

Am I missing something?

If a person is looking to setup for IDPA is there a reason to go with the JM over Std if the later is cheaper?

Plan to be going thru the action and tuning up for comp action and cyl prep.

The JMs have been so prevalent and popular  I honestly have not handled a std 4" 625-8.   Have some older versions with 5" and a 325pd.  But every 625 I have seen of late has been a JM or PC.

Wanted to be sure if I happen to find a great deal on a std I am not missing out on something critical from the JM version.

Edited by tim_w

6 hours ago, tim_w said:

625-8 JM vs Std:

Only thing I see is grips, JM engraving, SS vs black trigger/hammer.

Am I missing something?

That's about it. 

The older 625s had 5 inch barrels, which some find more desirable. 

The 325s have scandium frames and titanium cylinders

S&W will tote the PC guns have "more action work" but that really isnt true. 

If you plan on slicking up the internals yourself, or having a gunsmith take care of it, buy the most affordable version you can find with the cylinder and barrel specs you like.

I have used a 625 PC for several years in IDPA shooting and was quite pleased with it . I then traded a older S&W 66-2 for a almost new 625 JM for a backup . After I got used to the 625 JM it is my favorite for IDPA . The 625 JM has a full length under lug and a full length cylinder . The extra weight of the JM may help some with muzzle flip . I installed a TK hammer on the PC and a Apex hammer on the JM . I have both tuned to 6 1//2 lb trigger pull but my JM trigger releases the hammer early in the trigger pull and the 625 PC releases the hammer closer to the end of what seems to be a longer trigger pull . This may be due to me installing a TK trigger with over travel stop on the TK but then again the 625 PC comes stock with a over travel stop . This difference in trigger pull makes it hard for me to switch between the two revolvers . I now have designated the 625 PC to back-up status and would probably trade the PC for another JM if I had a chance to do so.  FWIW

Thanks guys that's what I figured.   

I think JM version actually has a standard full lug'd edm barrel same as the Std.  It's the PC with those fungly multi color fruitloop grips that has the shorter radiused under lug and shorter length cylinder.  My issue with that is replacement cylinders.  You can not use the 325 ti cyl in the PC.  S&W will likely run out of those shorter length PC ones much sooner given the reduced production numbers.  I agree with others on the PC tuned action parts being fitted as the exception vs the rule. Regardless, for the typical competition revolver you are going to be redoing all of that regardless.

Just wanted to be sure I was not missing something not overt between JM vs Std.  

If it was not for the 8 shot I think the 625 would be THE competition revolver with the possible exception of in Steel Challenge.  Kind of hard for a 45 anything to beat a 90-100gr .355-.359 & 950-1050 fps with less than 3 gr of powder when it comes to minimal recoil.