Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you were going to run a single choke in your 1301..

ramairthree

if you took all but one of my chokes on a 24" gun away from me i'd probably want a Mod, maybe Improved Mod depending on match. if you've gotta aim a little  bit, just aim a little bit more on small steel and aerials, but heavy poppers and spinners need a bit of choke. 

Depends on your matches. I've been to plenty where anything less than full and 1300's weren't going to knock over 35 yard steel. I've been to plenty where I ran spreader the whole match. My experience with my 21" barrel tells me I need to change chokes more than the 24" guys. On average in a 5 stage club match I probably change chokes 3 times, and would advise against your one choke for everything plan if your locals look anything like mine.

Edited by TonytheTiger

I would highly suggest that you take a look at ALL the stages in a match before selecting ONE choke. If you have one stage with some questionable targets for that SINGLE choke you might be able to use high brass (1300fps+ or grouse or pheasant loads for heavy or longer targets (make sure you buy the right shot size for the match rules)).  I have been pretty successful using regular shot shells on most stages with ONE choke and loading high brass/hotter-shells on a stage to compensate for the heavier or longer targets. If you can load quickly already (2nd most important in reducing your stage times (1st is not missing a target)), having a large shot pattern can really reduce your stage time on clays and close targets.  The MORE close targets on a stage you have to "not aim"... the less split times... better stage time.   PREFERABLY you should have a set of extended choke tubes which you can change each stage and get the widest pattern so you can shoot faster with out a miss.  A lot of local matches will have mostly close targets and you can run a open choke or IC (depending on your barrel length) without issue.  Major matches (if we have anymore major shotgun matches :) ) the match directors will have a larger mix of heavier/longer-targets/poppers and awkward positions to challenge the more experienced shooters.  I'm staring to ramble here, but you should test your loads/chokes/distances by aiming at the edge of the targets and be 100% knock over (Save those stats to your smart phone because you will forget.  SLUGS... I would test each choke.  Usually slugs are more accurate with open/IC and don't drop as much at longer distances. You just need to know each choke's drop from IC or open Point Of Aim.  Also, if you have a spinner or other heavy mechanical target, it will usually pay off to choke up to IM/full and aim better at the other targets (weighing the time taken on the spinner or penalties for not "neutralizing" a heavy mechanical target can make split times obsolete). If you have slugs and heavy mechanical targets on one stage (not a good match design) don't shoot full chokes (at least I'm not comfortable squeezing slugs through my full choke). You might want to go with IM and load heavier loads on the mechanical targets. gb

Edited by roxymajor

I have no idea why anyone would do that, unless you just don't care about placing as high as possible, ever. If moneys tight, extended Carlsons chokes are $30-$40, get at least 3. Personally I think the bare minimum to be competitive is Briley Diffusion or similar spreader choke, IC or Light Mod, and Improved Mod or Full. But when you need an Extra Full, you really need an Extra Full. 

Light modified will be just fine for a single choke choice. As for having a single choke approach keeping you from placing high ever...I have run a light modified choke since 1998 and I'm not so sure you could say it kept me from wining both at home or over-seas "ever".

We all run lighter Win AA 1145 loads in our shotguns. We all have the common chokes for each. VR80, MKA1919, & a Benelli M2. For most local matches depending on targets we run our mod chokes the majority of the time especially if there are spinners, heavy steel or small steel at distance. But depending on the match, targets, slugs, distance and shot size we will change based on the stage. From IC to IM and once in awhile even full. Base your choke on loads, targets, and distance, but Mod seems to work the majority of the time. 

gerritm

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 1:17 PM, kurtm said:

Light modified will be just fine for a single choke choice. As for having a single choke approach keeping you from placing high ever...I have run a light modified choke since 1998 and I'm not so sure you could say it kept me from wining both at home or over-seas "ever".

I’m not a serious shotgunner…. I’ve had my m1super90 for a Long time… paid $750 for it brand new from a shop….. I also adopted LM choke and have Not changed it in 20 Years!! (Maybe longer time flies)    Matches, bunnies, Deer…. Steel….Man the gun hits Plenty hard On Center!   

H

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 11:17 AM, kurtm said:

This /\      I've run a light modified for many years now. I have others in my bag but never found the need to swap. If you know where your pattern and slug impacts are at different distances you should be fine. A lot of people never test their pattern and miss, then think they should be changing chokes.