Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight picture and accuracy.

Stafford

I normally shoot a Shadow 2 in Carry Optics and primarily practice with that pistol. I attended a practice session, and for whatever reason, decided to shoot with my Glock 17 with irons. The main difference was practicing on 25 yard targets. I found that it was easier to pick up the thin fiber optic at distance than the dot on my CZ. 

Secondarily, I seemed to be as or more accurate on paper. This will require some further practice as this wasn't a match, and I was focusing on slower, more accurate shots while running a stage. But, my first reaction is that either the heavy muzzle of the CZ is dipping on my second shot during a match ( i.e. A/C, A/D) or I'm pulling the barrel down on the second shot. I was a bit surprised to see tighter shot placement. I'm certain that the Glock gives a stronger recoil impulse, but I seemed to be able to hit more A's on the second shot on paper.

• 3 weeks later...

Your grip should make it just as easy to shoot any pistol regardless of weight or (within reason) length.

Not sure what to say about a fiber optic being easier to "pick up" than a red dot.  First thing that comes to mind is that you're nearsighted and don't know it.

Are you double tapping for one sight picture on both pistols possibly?  This would explain the difference in second shot placement, based on muzzle dip.  Also do you know for certain you are target focused using the dot versus staring at the dot on the CZ?  One way to confirm that is to tape over the front glass on the dot after shooting the dot normally and see how your groups are different. 

When shooting a dot, muzzle dip should not matter at all.  When the streak meets where the eyes are focused on the target the trigger should be pulled.  At least that's what I have gathered from shooting/training with a dot, and that is what I strive to do and is what is happening when I am shooting higher percentages of alphas.  If I revert to double tapping, or am looking at the dot versus being target focused I start seeing wide charlies and deltas.  I also find when I am not shooting aggressive I tend to be more dot focused than target focused.  

Also expectations may be lower going back to irons therefore the subconscious is driving the aiming more.  Push the pace and start having expectations using irons, the groupings most likely will start growing.