Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2nd IDPA shoot

jejb

I shoot quite a bit at an indoor range, about 300 rounds a week. So decided to dip my toe into the competition world. Not to excel at per se, but to do something different. Went to an IDPA and USPSA match last winter and shot my 2nd IDPA last weekend. I had worked on my 2nd shot speed a lot in between and was happy with my progress in the standings. 

I enjoyed the shooting part, of course, but I have to say all the standing around gets OLD! 4.5 hours to shoot a little over 100 rounds in 6 stages, and helping setup/tear down. There were only 22 shooters, split into 2 squads. I can't imagine how long it'd take if 40 shooters showed up! Is this just the norm? It seemed to me it could have been tightened up in some areas, but I also know nobody there was getting paid, so kind of hard to picture rushing anyone. 

That sounds like a long time but not an extremely long time.  How many bays for six stages?

A lot of hurry up and wait is built into the system.  Stages are large with only one shooter at a time.  You can only shoot, get out of the way, get targets scored and pasted, and the next shooter called up so fast.  

More and smaller squads help but then you have to have more SOs, and assumes you have bays and people to set up multiple stages. 

I have been going to a Wednesday night indoor USPSA shoot.  The employees have everything planned out and targets, dividers, barrels, and boxes laid ready.  Target locations for Classifiers are measured out and marked on the floor.  Six stages on two bays in 2 1/2 to 3 hours depending on attendance.  But it is part of a paying business, so efficiency is rewarded.    

Thanks. It was in 2 bays. 2 stages in each bay, and then a tear down/setup for stages 5 and 6, one in each bay. One guy seemed to have the right idea. Had a little pull behind wagon from Academy with a camp chair and umbrella. It was in the 90's by the end of the round with no shade, so that didn't help any. 

I guess it's just frustration talking. I'd like to do more of these shoots, but it's hard to give that much time up to it. I have a lot of other stuff going on too. An evening shoot like you describe would be great. I'll have to check around and see if any of the ranges around here do that. I know the one I belong to does not. 

Try going to monthly outdoor matches with 85+ people. Squads of up to 15. It sucks. 

I hate to say it, but I miss days of 30 shooters. The waiting is one reason I took a break. Plus you work the match all day. Doesn’t seem like a day off work. 

If you want that type of match shooting experience what you've described is about par for the course. Some clubs are more effecient but with just a couple of bays their choices are limited.

It is true that if you are dedicated  enough, have access to a shooting bay and also have access to the type of targets and all that is used at a match, you could get some real focused practice with more rounds downrange in less time.  For those that have access that usually boils down to maybe twice a year and most don't have the dedication to do that on their own or with a buddy. Also you'll usually get more shooting in at USPSA vs IDPA.

14 hours ago, MHicks said:

Also you'll usually get more shooting in at USPSA vs IDPA.

Largely because the stages are longer.  It is still one shooter at a time in rotation.

With only two bays, the OP is pretty well stuck.  My local only has two pistol bays and matches drag on even at our small club.

I have heard of places that ran morning and afternoon flights, but that means the crew is working ALL day.

The best use of time and space that I have seen was the match that signed up only as many as could shoot through their four bays in the morning; then reset over lunch, then went back and shot some more.  I think 12 stages.   But that was a once a year thing.

The original Summer Sizzler in Tennessee was 22 or 23 stages on six bays over two days; five of them as segments of the original 90 shot IDPA classifier.  It was great match for the shooters, but a big load on the club, they didn't do THAT again.

But I have shot some of the older more regimented matches, too; things with multiple shooters on the line shooting at the same time.  Matches are still scheduled to take up half a day if not all day.  You just have to allow the time for competitive shooting. 

Some shooters stick with IDPA specifically because of the lower round count. Especially this last year with ammo and component availability and prices. 

IDPA  max 18 round vs USPSA MAX 32? per stage.

Having only 2-3 bays does limit clubs with trying to put 2 stages in a bay or resetting for more stages. A couple of clubs I shoot at are like that.

At our range in Memphis in the past several people would get to the range on Friday afternoon and setup the stages before we shot Saturday morning.  The only thing we had to do Saturday morning was staple the targets to the target stands.  This was how our matches were setup for years.  For the last two years we have change match directors and have been setup matches Saturday morning before we shoot.  To help speed things up are our match director started setting up stages which had two different starting positions.  With one stage setup we are able to shoot two different stage scenarios.  We started doing this for our indoor matches which really helped speed things up and we were able to get six stages a night instead of only four.  With our outdoor matches we only do this for one or two stages.

18 hours ago, MHicks said:

Some shooters stick with IDPA specifically because of the lower round count. Especially this last year with ammo and component availability and prices. 

IDPA  max 18 round vs USPSA MAX 32? per stage.

Having only 2-3 bays does limit clubs with trying to put 2 stages in a bay or resetting for more stages. A couple of clubs I shoot at are like that.

I'd rather shoot more rounds really. I'm a well stocked reloader. And did enjoy the USPSA shoot as well.

I did hear something about them using 4 bays at some time. I think they were talking about when more shooters signup. 

I also prefer USPSA and the higher round count.  There was another discussion about higher round count not making it a better match. By itself that's true. But assuming two matches both with good stages, I'd prefer to shoot more. That doesn't mean all max round count stages, hopefully a good mix.