Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 Shadow Discontinued?

SuperKing

1 hour ago, SuperKing said:

Perfect. May seem silly, but I am finding I like the feel/ergo of the SP-01 compared to my Shadow 2s. Thanks.

Seems like the natural way of things is that:

1. Somebody makes a good gun.

2. After a while that same somebody makes a different good gun. 

3. While the new gun is still in short supply it is much more desirable than the old gun.

4. When supply catches up and the hot newness is gone people make decisions on which they like based based upon which suits them the best. 

A long way of saying that it does not seem silly to me. 

4 hours ago, SuperKing said:

Perfect. May seem silly, but I am finding I like the feel/ergo of the SP-01 compared to my Shadow 2s. Thanks.

What is different about the older model?  I have handled both but not next to each other so the differences escape me.

17 minutes ago, twodownzero said:

What is different about the older model?  I have handled both but not next to each other so the differences escape me.

8 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Weight & length & the big one is grip geometry. 

Yep, there aren't any technical features that the Shadow 2 has over the SP-01 Shadow. More checkering on the grip I suppose, but if I were to try and explain further:

-The Shadow 2 is more dustcover heavy and heavier in general
-The Shadow 2 has a longer barrel and slide, therefore a longer sight radius
-The Shadow 2 has a different grip geometry

17 hours ago, SuperKing said:

Yep, there aren't any technical features that the Shadow 2 has over the SP-01 Shadow. More checkering on the grip I suppose, but if I were to try and explain further:

-The Shadow 2 is more dustcover heavy and heavier in general
-The Shadow 2 has a longer barrel and slide, therefore a longer sight radius
-The Shadow 2 has a different grip geometry

Is the original shadow rounder in the front?  I'm actually considering taking a file to the sharp edge where the checkering meets the gun body.  I dunno why they didn't round over the last row of the checkering; it's rough on my hands and I really like a sharp grip.

2 hours ago, twodownzero said:

Is the original shadow rounder in the front?  I'm actually considering taking a file to the sharp edge where the checkering meets the gun body.  I dunno why they didn't round over the last row of the checkering; it's rough on my hands and I really like a sharp grip.

I am not sure. I currently only have a SP-01 tactical to compare, but from what I have seen the checkering looks less aggressive on the SP-01 Shadow. For my Shadow 2, prefer a bit of grip tape on the front of the grip as opposed to the checkering that is present.

May be worth thinking about trying?