Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unintentional Double tap

Tunachaser

Recently at a local steel match I had an unintentional double tap.  Shot the rest of the match with no more problems BUT It is a concern.  The pistol is a Bull Shadow with a Cajun hammer and a Cajun adjustable sear and a 8.5# main spring and about 8K rounds fired ( a wild azz guess).  Could a heavier main spring help or replace the sear and/or hammer.  Not sure where to start.  Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, Tunachaser said:

Recently at a local steel match I had an unintentional double tap.  Shot the rest of the match with no more problems BUT It is a concern.  The pistol is a Bull Shadow with a Cajun hammer and a Cajun adjustable sear and a 8.5# main spring and about 8K rounds fired ( a wild azz guess).  Could a heavier main spring help or replace the sear and/or hammer.  Not sure where to start.  Thanks in advance.

Check your Sear Spring. It might be too weak to reset the seat. 

Next, I would check your hammer and sear itself to ensure there’s no rounding of the material. Should almost be a sharp edge. 

I had that problem in the past.

If you have a trigger with post travel adjustment, increase the travel a bit more, past the trigger break point. Even when its set nicely to avoid hammer and sear contact on manual decocking, a bit more travel ensured I didnt get double taps on a single shot.

And what all of above mentioned.

Edited by coolbox
Typo

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 12:01 AM, coolbox said:

If you have a trigger with post travel adjustment, increase the travel a bit more, past the trigger break point. Even when its set nicely to avoid hammer and sear contact on manual decocking, a bit more travel ensured I didnt get double taps on a single shot.

Adjusting the over travel screw seems to have done the trick, thanks coolbox!

On 10/9/2021 at 5:52 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

It’s always a good idea to back the overtravel setscrew out at least 1/2 to 3/4 turn more than the minimum required.

The gun still runs when it’s filthy, and when the springs wear… and you really won’t shoot a stage any different.

Excellent Advice