Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S&W Major load using HS6

LmtdOne

I have searched long and hard and have had trouble finding some definitive HS6 major load data for a 180 gr jacketed projectile. I recently switched bullets and upon chronoing today, they fell a bit short on PF. What charge have you guys specifically used for 180 gr FMJ?

6 hours ago, Farmer said:

What was your load and how far off were you?

I ended up getting it figured out after some trial and error. I had a load of 6.6 gr initially but ended up tweaking it to 7.0 gr. This load will give me a comfortable cushion on power factor. The load shot accurately and recoil was still very manageable.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I chronoed at Area 4 and 7.0 gr of HS6 gave me a very spicy 181 PF. It would have been much higher yet but one of the 3 shots was considerably lower velocity than the other two. I will be adjusting down and hitting the chrono to dial it in.

On 10/17/2021 at 12:38 PM, Skeeter44 said:

Following

I got out to the range this Saturday to do a little chrono testing. My load of 6.6 grains of HS6 with a 180 gr RMR Fmj bullet came out to be a Power Factor Average of 170. The rounds grouped well and were not smokey. This is gonna be my load for awhile until I can get ahold of some more Montana Gold Jhp's.

On 10/17/2021 at 12:38 PM, Skeeter44 said:

Following

I got out to the range this Saturday to do a little chrono testing. My load of 6.6 grains of HS6 with a 180 gr RMR Fmj bullet came out to be a Power Factor Average of 170. The rounds grouped well and were not smokey. This is gonna be my load for awhile until I can get ahold of some more Montana Gold Jhp's.