Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leather field or hunting holsters

oldmanwithagun

Finding good leather is harder than expected. I have both a Tanfoglio Hunter and Elite Custom in 10mm. I also have access to 7000 acres in Eastern Oregon. I wanted to be able to be comfortable while carrying and I like my guns. I also have become more and more disenchanted with 'Tactical'. In fact I am thinking Tactical is becoming a dirty word. Add tactical to any piece of junk and it not only sells, but for 40% more. It's nice to fantasize but get real.

I have several leather holsters purchased via Amazon and you get what you pay for. Compared to a custom built holster, they are junk and why would you pay a lot of money for a fine gun and carry it in Kydex or some strange stamped leather that you haven't any idea how it was tanned.   You can find a lot of good looking leather on Etsy, but once again, you are buying blind and I prefer quality over Ostrich or Elephant.

I will spend most of the time stationary or in a quad type vehicle.

It took a while but I stumbled across a local holster maker and the rest is history. Ted Blocker Holsters in Tigard Oregon make an Alaskan style chest rig they call the Mountaineer. I was impressed when I handled it and ordered one to fit the Tanfoglio Hunter with RDS. All of Ted Blocker holsters are made in house, In house is a 4000 sq ft facility  and you see everything.  https://tedblockerholsters.com/

The holsters I ordered are all calf skin lined, not raw or suede, I think it adds a touch of class. I also ordered Belt Holsters that match for those times that a side carry is more practical. The only modification I made was having them add a 'sleeve' on the upper chest strap to carry your practical folder, Mine is a Kizer Sheepdog, you can pay a lot more, but when you use this thing, you fall in love with it.

10mm-mountaineer-1.jpg

10mm-mountaineer-2.jpg

10mm-mountaineer-3.jpg

10mmtwins.jpg