Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 with lightened slide and heavy tungsten extended guide rod w/ factory 124g fed American eagle: what weight spring?

Bunnies4r5

Hey guys,

I am currently running a glock 34 cut by primary machines that has a significant amount of weight removed from the slide. I use the glock store heavy extended uncaptured tungsten guide rod with 15lb spring which is what primary machines recommended.

The gun runs 100% reliable with no malfunctions. The gun also ran 100% reliable with an OEM 17lb glock RSA. 

So I am wondering since I am running factory ammo would I notice diminished recoil with a 17lb spring on my uncaptured rod vs the 15lb I currently use? My thinking is the heavier spring would dampen recoil better then the 15lb. 

With the 15lb the recoil impulse is pretty good. It doesn't dip at all when it locks up and when doing a bill drill my red dot stays in the window but does move all the way to the top. I am just trying to squeeze as much preformance out of the gun as possible.

Last question, would running a 17lb spring cause any extra wear on the frame with the lightened slide when it locks up?

Thanks for the advice!

I think your setup is pretty good as is. You can also try some bill drills with the 13# and the 14# and see which of your springs makes the dot behave best. I don't think the 17# will give you any more appreciable wear on your frame.

jager

Ok thanks for the advice, I know the oem 17lb wasn't nearly as flat as the tungsten but wasn't sure if the 17 would work better now that I have the tungsten with factory ammo, I could def give a bill drill with a 13 a try to see how it feels, maybe I'll order a 17 and 13 and compare. 

The 15 is already working really well so maybe I'll just leave it alone lol