Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One of the Most IMPORTANT Tools in my Reloading Room

Sigarmsp226

Guys - Most of us here load a lot of ammo - that is why we hang out here with like minded folks and from this forum about 3 years ago I learned about what has become one of the most valuable tools in "my" reloading room (I know there are those that may disagree and I respect your position).  Each time I finish reloading a "batch" (in this batch there were about 500 rounds) I stop, grab by Shockbottle Case Gauge, grab the 3.5 power glasses (usually wear 2.5 power), turn on the LED work bench light that sits 18" above the work bench area I use, and I start case gauging the rounds I have loaded. 

Now while actually loading a "batch" I have on the reloading bench right beside my press this same Shockbottle Gauge as well as a Dillon or Wilson single round case gauge that I will grab and drop one round about every 10-20 rounds being loaded into the single gauge for a quick check.  If I get any resistance I STOP my reloading the case then goes into the Shockbottle gauge for further checking.  Based on the results I continue on or figure out what had changed.  Many time I realize the single case gauge is a little dirty.  When this happens I grab a small nylon brush and some alcohol to give the single case gauge a quick cleaning (case lube build up over time that may cause a round to "stick" a little).  

BUT - EVERY round I load - EVERY round I load goes through the Shockbottle Case Gauge.  Now many here will say "Mark - You need to check your rounds on a hard surface not a towel like the pictures below show" - I do guys - I just use the towel as the transfer area from the bulk ammo bin to the Shockbottle case gauge.  Below is an example why IMO this tool is so important.....Look Close - Three over and Three down from the front left corner of the block (I set it up this way for these pictures) but this was found during my check this morning.  One 9mm Makarov piece of brass.....

DCA66111-B300-4-A0-C-A604-B325-B06-C2-F5

99953-B35-2-FD8-4428-9-A4-A-BFB45878-A3-

19886888-FB84-41-F6-B79-D-91592-E4-F0-CD

And then of course we all have experienced a 380 round making it all the way through our loading process even when we know that we sorted out "every" 380 round from our brass....The good news is the 380 rounds really stand out when you use a multi-cavity case gauge like the Shockbottle.  

D612-D350-BC43-4332-8975-42-F4-D965-C61-

We know a 380 round can stop many guns for functioning and not sure about the 9mm Makarov but its case is ever so slightly smaller than the standard 9mm case so I am guessing it could get stuck in some guns chambers. 

Again just wanted to share with everyone because some reloaders may not be aware of or think case gauges are vital in this process we all enjoy (at some level even if it for the $$ savings).  If you are like me and reload range pick up brass you might want to consider getting some type of case gauge if you do not have one today - and make time/take time to gauge every round you intend to shoot.  I do not want something like this, that I can control, to cause me to not shoot to my capability.  Again - I learned about the Shockbottle case gauge right here on this forum and bought one because of it - just thought I would share with others another learning opportunity I received from this forum.    

Edited by Sigarmsp226

• 3 weeks later...

I just recently got my first shockbottle gauge just like yours. I agree that its a fantastic tool but at my current pace of reloading I am not sure that ii am seeing its full value yet. One day i hope to sit down and knock out a thousand but for right now all i have time for is about 200 at a time lol.

The loose nut behind the pistol costs me enough points in a match that I can't afford to give up any more due to ammo foul ups.  The Shockbottle gauge gives me a chance to give EVERY match round a good inspection before they get boxed up.   

I love the Apex Tactical barrels in my M&P's but they're not nearly as forgiving as the OEM S&W barrels.   The Apex barrels have a MUCH tighter chamber and even rounds that pass my Dillon case gauge may hang up in the Apex barrels.   The Shockbottle catches those marginal rounds.  (Usually CBC brass.)

Edited by NETim