Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big leap in my understanding of Compensators

Snoopy47

On 9/15/2021 at 10:34 AM, Snoopy47 said:

Which 2011 frames are on the Roster?  Otherwise, it's a money chasing venture, not impossible, but comes at a premium of dollars and time, and magazine limitations not within "freedom week".

SVI is on the roster, otherwise frames aren’t that hard to get if you know anything about the issue in CA.  2011 open guns are all over the place in CA.  

I don’t know what your budget looks like, but it takes money to play in open.  No amount of savings is worth the frustration of an open Glock.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's done. This Glock is basically done with my R&D for it. I can't think of anything I could spend on it that would materially make it different/better. I'm not concerned about it blowing up with a KKM barrel.  

Yea, I'll probably never shoot Major PF with it, but steel challenge is the go to game in my area so it's moot. 

Like most here probably I'm the "big fish" in my local tiny pond. So I'll enjoy using it at that level until I out grow of my competition arena (if that ever happens). 

I did find some load recommendations for a 95gn bullet, and I did start trying it out and got it to "work" buy it's eating up my scarce 3N38 I can't replace yet. 

The original post was to communicate that using slow motion it opened my eyes to actually maximizing the capabilities of a compensator. While testing loads in very narrow steps of charge weights I found the zone where the comp starts to work, and functionality falls off, but picks up again once additional powder is added or recoil spring is reduced. 

Sort of like Chuck Yeager trying to break the Sound Barrier. One wants to fly below it, or well past it, but not at it. 

Continuing the aviation analogy, I suppose my Glock Open is like Yeager's straight wing rocket plane forcing it's way through the sound barrier with brute force, and 2011's are swept wing planes.  

The video I made for myself also showed that while my gun looked flat at normal time it was by no means flat with slow motion. The greatest addition to my control of flatness was the thumb rest for my support hand. It snaps it back down, but doesn't prevent the barrel tilt up. 

Clearly, at this point, no one is going to dissuade me from my Glock Open build. I'll more than likely continue to toy with load development, powders, and bullet weights/type until I get bored. 

Am I somewhat correct in regarding brass choice I could simply use top quality brass (Star Line for example) to mitigate case failures chasing Major Power Factor? There are clearly better brass to use, and not all brands weigh the same. Some are using a little more bass in their construction. 

I'll find my comfort zone of competitive level for it or I wont. At worst, I hope to sandbag GSSF matches with it (still no small feat, but I will only be up against other Glocks). 

I don't know what problems many chased with getting a Open Glock to work. I do use a Timney trigger. Love it or hate it for the so called drop test problems it does eliminated ignition problems chasing a sub 3lb trigger. My trigger is just over 2.5lb with a 6lb striker spring (OEM being 5lb). 

Next proof of concept for me will be the next match using 5.6gn 800X powder with a 124gn FMJ (ran out of plated, and found FMJ at the same price), and went down to 1.14 OAL in anticipation of helping feeding. 

On 9/16/2021 at 7:48 AM, Sinister4 said:

Question as i'm learning about open, why not just run .38 super comp or .40 instead of 9mm major ?

I ran 40 Open for two seasons.  It is MUCH better than 9mm major and the brass costs the same.  Or you can pick it up for free at the range.  The reason it is so much better is case capacity.  You can easily fit enough powder in it to make it shoot soft AND flat at the same time.  You cannot do that with 9mm.  You have enough capacity to make it shoot soft OR flat, or a little of both.  You can go super crazy with PF in 40 and still be under SAAMI limits.

I got tired of re-Loctiting my comps on a couple of times a season, so I switched to 9mm.  I wanted a one piece barrel/comp and they were only available in 9.  38SC was out of the question because of brass prices.

The only potential disadvantage of 40 Open is three fewer rounds in the mag.  I never felt handicapped by 26 in a mag instead of 29.  There was always a place to reload without costing time.  Bullets cost 1/2 cent more.

On 9/18/2021 at 4:35 PM, zzt said:

I ran 40 Open for two seasons.  It is MUCH better than 9mm major and the brass costs the same.  Or you can pick it up for free at the range.  The reason it is so much better is case capacity.  You can easily fit enough powder in it to make it shoot soft AND flat at the same time.  You cannot do that with 9mm.  You have enough capacity to make it shoot soft OR flat, or a little of both.  You can go super crazy with PF in 40 and still be under SAAMI limits.

I got tired of re-Loctiting my comps on a couple of times a season, so I switched to 9mm.  I wanted a one piece barrel/comp and they were only available in 9.  38SC was out of the question because of brass prices.

The only potential disadvantage of 40 Open is three fewer rounds in the mag.  I never felt handicapped by 26 in a mag instead of 29.  There was always a place to reload without costing time.  Bullets cost 1/2 cent more.

you inspire me

I want a 40 open now

17 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

you inspire me

I want a 40 open now

If someone made a one-piece barrel comp in 40 I'd more than likely go back.  10.1gr SWMP under a 155 JHP made 172 PF and was so soft and flat it felt like cheating.  I can't get anywhere close with my 9 Open.

Part of the difference was velocity.  With the 40 I only needed 1100fps.  With my 9 I'm running 1470fps.

On 9/18/2021 at 4:35 PM, zzt said:

I ran 40 Open for two seasons.

Perhaps of interest to Snoopy47, I'm currently building a 3D-printed Open .40 Glock—something to take to matches when I need a break from revolver and want to go fast and loud, and something to tinker with (since I expect it to take constant fiddling) to avoid tinkering with the revolvers.

So far, it works a treat. 155gr plated bullets are easy to find, loading those bullets to make major and work the compensator is trivial, and 25+1 full load is fine on magazine capacity for a goof-off gun.

• 2 months later...

@AverageJoeShooting and @zzt it funny you guys talking about 40 open guns and I see it tonight. I was just talking with Dan at D2 Customs about what he is building right now and one happens to be a 40 open gun. I asked why and he said there is a want to them around his area in PA. I have always wondered why SVI and MBX made 170mm 40 mags. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use to think no Glock Open gun would run, then I got beat by one at the AASA Nationals, in the 9th round of the Man on Man Shoot Off.  I still got the second place trophy and an XD.  Before the MonM there was 300 rds of steel stages, I won that part of the match, the Glock was first loser. 

I bought one of the darn Glock things, here on the Forum, the guy said it ran, he didn't lie!  It runs like a champ.  No it will not run Minor, it will run super minor which is 5.6 to 5.8 Gr of AutoComp with either a 115 or 124gr RN or JHP,  Over the crono this comes out to about 145 pf.  For Sminor I use an 11# spring, mags have the Taylor Free Lance extension and hold 27.

For Major, well it is a hand full but at 172 pf (7.3gr of Silhouette) with a 124gr JHP (Precision Delta), it runs the big sticks no problem.  The recoil spring is a 22#.  The gun is all LoneWolf with an SJC comp. 

I've run about 20-30k rounds thru it with no memory of a single FTF or not going bang.   It runs all pistol primers, however don't try a MagTech rifle primer. 

If I didn't have 3 STI platform open guns I'd shoot the Glock all the time.  I take it out for Steel Challenge and 2 Guns. 

Maybe because I don't have a 5# fishing weight on the front?

Edited by CocoBolo

On 4/13/2022 at 11:10 AM, Chapo said:

I have several videos in my channel about this, but I use a 4 port carver comp.  Works great for me in my G34.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLEAh7Bstw0lf4LLNWm9P6A

At 4:07 you can see the comp in use.

Light strike on the first round?

That muzzle jumps quite a bit.  Not impressed with the performance of that comp.

On 4/13/2022 at 1:10 PM, Chapo said:

I have several videos in my channel about this, but I use a 4 port carver comp.  Works great for me in my G34.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLEAh7Bstw0lf4LLNWm9P6A

At 4:07 you can see the comp in use.

At 2:10 in the top video you can watch someone point a gun at their head. Big fun! Just a thought, but on your "channel" you might to review your gun handling. Some poor soul may view and think this is acceptable behavior.  Please don't say it was unloaded. The unloaded ones really hurt, permanently. 

I did a bunch of 600 and 1200 frames per second video of comp guns many years ago.  Most of what it showed is scope mounts wobble all over the place under recoil and be skeptical of any claims to ultimate flatness.  Some of the videos are probably still on here in the depths of the archives.

Also I discovered it doesn't really matter because I also have a 9x25 Dillon open gun which is about the king of over-compensated.  17gr of H110 behind a 115 gr 9mm bullet.  "Works the comp" great, even recoils down with some loads but being short 3-4 rounds isn't worth it at the top of the game because the comp advantage is so marginal.

Agree shred.  Was talking with Bobby Carver and told me perceived recoil and flatness its all relative.  It all depends on many factors such as bullet load, user handling, etc....

Redneck, You are right.  Should have shown the weapon was cleared form the beginning of the video.  Take a deep breath.

• 7 months later...