Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 reviews/input

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pickup up the JP5 today. Got it home and swapped all my Smoke Composite gear over from my GMR-15.  Haven't weighed it yet, but the Smoke gear put it on a serious diet...IMO, there is a big difference in the way the two rifles recoil and dot movement. Now to work up a load and maybe play with different locking pieces..

JP5.jpg

Edited by falconpilot

Joined the bandwagon.  Picked it up sat, put 30 rounds in it to zero, then shot a SC match the next day to begin getting the feel of it. Gun ran great, no issues.  2gun match with it next sat, then MD State match the following sat.  ;)  

I had my last straw with my MPX (turns out after only 12K rounds the bolt was cracked all the way around), so I pulled the trigger on the JP5.  Went through the builder,  put my order in, etc.  Called Ben when my build was processed.  He said they had a 14-16 wk build time, and he looked around and found one for me at Arnzen Arms.  JP had shipped out 15 blems to various dealers.  So I was able to get one in a week and not 16, and saved around $500 plus no tax or shipping!!  JP and Arnzen were great to work with.

With just over 200 rounds through it so far, I think it shoots almost as soft as an MPX (Gen 2 or PCC), but does seem to have a little more push to the shoulder.  Need more range time to get a better handle on dot bounce, or lack of. The trigger is amazing for a stocker.  3# 11oz, and zero take up, it just breaks.  Very nice.  Used to Hyperfire Gold on my MPX PCC.  I think the stock trigger will be just fine for me.  

Shooting the same loads as I had my MPX with no issues,  147gr Blue Bullets with 3.6gr Clean Shot.  In the MPX this load is about 142pf, but the JP5 is 135-140pf.  Interesting.   I have a butt load of Blues, so will be shooting them for some time. Not worried about comp build up, will clean it as it needs.  

I have a 90* and 100* block on order, to see if and how they affect recoil. Right now, with this load, and the stock *80 block, brass is landing a little more than 6' away.

image.thumb.jpeg.410533abec79e7e22384fe6957a10dc5.jpeg

2 minutes ago, GregJ said:

I have a 90* and 100* block on order, to see if and how they affect recoil. Right now, with this load, and the stock *80 block, brass is landing a little more than 6' away.

90 and 100 are for very light loads like steel challenge loads. With PF around 140 you should ratherb try a 70.

22 hours ago, GregJ said:

Stick with the 80 degree for 147's. If you end up running 124's or 115's the 70 degree may feel softer. 

On 5/29/2023 at 11:47 AM, GregJ said:

Joined the bandwagon.  Picked it up sat, put 30 rounds in it to zero, then shot a SC match the next day to begin getting the feel of it. Gun ran great, no issues.  2gun match with it next sat, then MD State match the following sat.  ;)  

I had my last straw with my MPX (turns out after only 12K rounds the bolt was cracked all the way around), so I pulled the trigger on the JP5.  Went through the builder,  put my order in, etc.  Called Ben when my build was processed.  He said they had a 14-16 wk build time, and he looked around and found one for me at Arnzen Arms.  JP had shipped out 15 blems to various dealers.  So I was able to get one in a week and not 16, and saved around $500 plus no tax or shipping!!  JP and Arnzen were great to work with.

With just over 200 rounds through it so far, I think it shoots almost as soft as an MPX (Gen 2 or PCC), but does seem to have a little more push to the shoulder.  Need more range time to get a better handle on dot bounce, or lack of. The trigger is amazing for a stocker.  3# 11oz, and zero take up, it just breaks.  Very nice.  Used to Hyperfire Gold on my MPX PCC.  I think the stock trigger will be just fine for me.  

Shooting the same loads as I had my MPX with no issues,  147gr Blue Bullets with 3.6gr Clean Shot.  In the MPX this load is about 142pf, but the JP5 is 135-140pf.  Interesting.   I have a butt load of Blues, so will be shooting them for some time. Not worried about comp build up, will clean it as it needs.  

May I ask....did you ever find what the blem was? lol

Ive bought AR-15 blem receivers before and you could never or hardly tell what the blem was. They can be great deals.

1 hour ago, mrvip27 said:

May I ask....did you ever find what the blem was? lol

Ive bought AR-15 blem receivers before and you could never or hardly tell what the blem was. They can be great deals.

Nope. Might have been some small scratch somewhere I couldnt see. Or something else. I borescoped the barrel and there is a small nick at the crown.  Maybe thats it?  Doesnt seem to effect accuracy though 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if aftermarket 45 degree safeties work with the OEM trigger? Have a gun that should be delivered next month but I've preferred shorter throw safeties on my ARs

Edit: NVM, see that it may have been covered in another thread

Edited by whan
Edit: NVM, see that it may have been covered in another thread
On 5/19/2023 at 4:02 PM, falconpilot said:

Pickup up the JP5 today. Got it home and swapped all my Smoke Composite gear over from my GMR-15.  Haven't weighed it yet, but the Smoke gear put it on a serious diet...IMO, there is a big difference in the way the two rifles recoil and dot movement. Now to work up a load and maybe play with different locking pieces..

JP5.jpg

How do you like that Smoke butt stock? 

I just got one for mine because I liked the offset but then started to wonder if would have more muzzle jump, you know like a bore axis kind of thing?

On 10/6/2021 at 10:44 AM, Darqusoull13 said:

Handloads - C (Coated) J (Jacketed)
124s C - 120 PF with Titegroup
115 gr C x 3.2 gr Titegroup
135 gr C x 3.2 gr Titegroup
147 gr J x 3.2 gr N320
135 gr C- 130 PF with N320
115 C x 4.0 gr Sport Pistol
115 C x 4.1 gr Sport Pistol
125 J x 3.9 gr Sport Pistol
125 J x 4.1 gr Sport Pistol
125 J x 4.3 gr Sport Pistol

A bunch of this was tested with other people's ammo when they shot it as a loaner rifle. Some of the hand loads I didn't document powder and bullet charges entirely.

When you tested these loads, was it with stock block/spring/weights?  Or did you change anything?

My current load is 147 Blue with 3.6gr Clean Shot, 138PF.  The stock block/spring/weight combo (80*, black, 2 steel) seems to work great with this load.  But I have a lot of 115 and 124gr pistol loads already loaded (for CZ S2) that I want to test with next.  They are around 1.100 (CZ has short throat), so I hope they will load fine in the JP5.

I have watched every JP video on the 5, and it seems that JP recommends:

- Tune with the block first, then the SCS weights.

- Brass should land about 3 yds away.

- Shouldn't need to change the SCS spring, as it has been "optimized" for this system. But can change to fine tune if desired.

Playing around with different blocks (70, 80,90 with 147 load, 138 PF), I can tell if one is slightly harsher than the other, but barely.  To me, the biggest indicator of the "correct" block is much like adjusting an AR gas block, how far away the brass lands.  If it it lands 1-2 ft away, it may shoot "soft", but probably wont be reliable.

Playing around with SC load (115gr Xtreme, 123PF) With the 80 block, brass was landing 2-3' away and did have 1 FTEject.  70 block brass was 1-2' away, basically dribbling out, 90 block brass was 3-5' away.  Need to test other blocks. 

The second biggest indicator for me is shooting fast doubles at 4-5 yd, and not watching dot specifically (match speed).  If both rounds are landing in same hole, then the block is probably right. Using different blocks I have seen a distinct difference in round placement (first round all in one hole, 2nd round all in 2nd hole 1" low, or shotgun like pattern).

2 hours ago, GregJ said:

When you tested these loads, was it with stock block/spring/weights?  Or did you change anything?

The 80 degree lock piece is designed to run most everything. If you run SCSA only, or super sub PF, loads put a 90 in it. If you run duty loads, go 60. 

I am looking for some factory ammo options for the JP5.  So far I have tried the Federal Syntech 130 and 150.  Like previously mentioned, the 150s seem to work well.  

Are there any other factory loaded 9mm worth testing?

Has anybody ran the factory loaded Super-Vel 9mm 115 in the JP5? 

22 minutes ago, abigger04 said:

I am looking for some factory ammo options for the JP5.  So far I have tried the Federal Syntech 130 and 150.  Like previously mentioned, the 150s seem to work well.  

Has anybody ran the factory loaded Super-Vel 9mm 115 in the JP5? 

run the SuperVel 124 competition with 70 block. runs great.

4 hours ago, abigger04 said:

Eley has 115, 124, and 147 for pistol, and 115 and 124 for PCC:  https://www.eleyammunition.com/minor9_competition_pistol_pcc_rounds/

I run Blazer Brass 115 with a 70 locker. It's cheap, reliable, and accurate enough. Supervel 115 worked well in my JP, but my pistol had a few issues with that so I just use Blazer 115 for both for simplicity. Blazer 124 and Supervel 124 grouped slightly worse for my gun so I just stuck with 115's. 

On 6/23/2023 at 9:45 PM, k2pichu said:

I run Blazer Brass 115 with a 70 locker. It's cheap, reliable, and accurate enough. Supervel 115 worked well in my JP, but my pistol had a few issues with that so I just use Blazer 115 for both for simplicity. Blazer 124 and Supervel 124 grouped slightly worse for my gun so I just stuck with 115's. 

This has been my experience too:

Started with 150 Syntech with a 60* locker but it wasn’t softer than 115 from blazer or supervel with the 70* (and the 150 Su techs cost a lot more).  The BB115s didn’t lock back or eject consistently with the 60*.  

I personally like the 115 for the faster speed compared to the heavier loads.  I could get 5 BB 115s rounds to all touch at 25 yards with them and that was plenty good for me.  

On 3/5/2023 at 5:22 PM, BartCarter said:

I tried SuperVel 147, 124 and 115 using 80, 70 and 60 lock pieces.  They all ran fine, with different degrees of soft shooting, 60 being the softest.  I was running the 115 and 60 lock piece, but just went up to the 70.  I like the feel of 115 and the 70 lock piece best.  Feeling is very subjective, but for me, the recoil and dot stability is right on.

I have been using SuperVel for a couple of years now.  Prices are more than fair and the ammo is clean and consistent.  I use the 147 in my pistol.

From my earlier post