Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Power factor vs. Recoil

Stafford

Trying to wrap my head around this concept. FYI, I don't reload and shoot factory ammo. Yesterday, I shot Federal Syntech Action pistol 9mm 124 grain red bullet. It averages around 1050 with a power factor of around 130. Good ammo, accurate. Then there is the Federal Syntech Training ammo with the purple bullets. The 147 has a published velocity of 1000. 

So, the power factor will be much higher -147, but I'm guessing that it should recoil slightly less than the 124 due to lower velocity. Is that correct? I thought PF correlated with recoil.

Yes, there is a relationship between PF and felt recoil, but it is not a direct relationship.  Recoil is subjective and PF is not.

A fast power with a heavier bullet can often be perceived by many of us as having lower felt recoil, even when it may have a higher PF than a lighter bullet with a different powder.  All of this depends upon the shooter and the perception of said recoil though.  

First, you can plug those numbers into a calculator to determine recoil force.

http://kwk.us/recoil.html

Second, if bullets of different weights are pushed to the same power factor with the same powder, the lighter bullets have more recoil.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/power-factor-recoil-bullet-weight-gives-edge/99399

45 minutes ago, Stafford said:

Trying to wrap my head around this concept. FYI, I don't reload and shoot factory ammo. Yesterday, I shot Federal Syntech Action pistol 9mm 124 grain red bullet. It averages around 1050 with a power factor of around 130. Good ammo, accurate. Then there is the Federal Syntech Training ammo with the purple bullets. The 147 has a published velocity of 1000. 

So, the power factor will be much higher -147, but I'm guessing that it should recoil slightly less than the 124 due to lower velocity. Is that correct? I thought PF correlated with recoil.

With these examples (in a 2 pound gun, zero weight for powder) the 147 grain will have more recoil.

124 @ 1050 fps = 2.69 ft lbs recoil

147 @ 1000 fps = 3.43 ft lbs recoil

3 hours ago, Stafford said:

Stafford:

These are very accurate and with a 133PF are soft shooters in my CZ!  Highly recommended!

https://www.federalpremium.com/handgun/syntech/syntech-action-pistol/11-AE9SJAP1.html

👍

9 hours ago, Stafford said:

Have not shot the 147, but have shot the 124 and 150. I chrono'd both on a PCC and several Glocks (17 & 34) and they have very similar PFs, in the 130s.